51 replies to this topic

#1 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:02 AM

Not really fan art for this first post but it is art I created.

Here is my graduation show for my BFA I did in fall 2008, I took a break from art once I graduated and am currently building new canvases to dive back in head first(made a few 3ftx5ft canvases, that's serious business). Hope you guys like these and look forward to showing off my new stuff.

There are a lot I left them pretty big so you can see the detail, even big there is a lot lost from the originals. If anyone would like detail shots just say so and I shall wrangle some up online.

This one is older than the BFA Graduation show. After making this one and getting such a great response in class and from students and professors not in the painting program i decided to pursue these creatures further, they started as just doodles in high school.

Titled "Hunt" used a lot of art history themes and composition ideas. at the time i was using feathers on the head as age/societal rank with the small guy in the front just having earned his first feather of "manhood age" and going on his first hunt.
Posted Image

graduating group show images
Overview of show set up.
Posted Image
This is one of the figures I cast in resin. I broke it up, "aged" it with tea and paint tore open Polaroids I had taken of some woods caves fields etc. Then I scraped various parts of the Polaroids away and painted in various states of fictional archeological digs/surveys. Making it as if this crude figure of one of my creatures was found in a dig site. The heart and brain inside the stomach refer to the motif in the two bigger paintings on the wall behind it.
Posted Image
This is a mask worn by tribes people that had once interacted with the creatures in the past but having lost contact over a long period of time the creatures have taken on a god like role in the tribes society. there are aspects of Hindu, African and Native American art in the mask. I don't seem to have a shot of the cloth hood covering the back of the mask that goes down over the neck/shoulders/back of the wearer. The feathers in the front are a sample of how the feathers were tied together and attached to the cloth. I found a book depicting methods of ornamentation of clothing in ancient Peru cultures and used that method as a guide.
Posted Image
Resin cast figures, the top one is by myself the rest are done by other artist in the show.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Titled "Power" idea of a bloodline of monarchs and the creatures eating the hearts of those before them to gain their ancestors power. Layout is inspired by the many B.P.R.D. and Hellboy comics laying around my bed room at all times. Helps provide a fuller story in one painting I think.
Posted Image
Titled "Knowledge" Same with power, eating the brains of the newly dead passes on their knowledge to younger generations.
Posted Image
Cannot remember title, I gave it to a professor who wanted it and don't have the title card. Deals with the idea of ancestors leaving crap for you to deal with. Expectations, reputations good or bad, promises, lies etc.
Posted Image
Titled "Portable Hope" By now you might have seen this flower a few times in the paintings. The flower for these creatures is the idea of achieving something great in your life. The flowers bloom being that one thing you live to produce and no other person can produce that one thing, your contribution to the world. This is exploring the concept of sod and how we carry nature to various places and force it to be there etc.
Posted Image
Ttitled "Teamwork: So You Never Have to Fight a Dragon Alone" corny inspirational poster title and this is a group of my little guys trying to save a friend and stop the dragon from attacking ever again. The two in the bottom just used a "cheerleader throw" to get the one guy in the air for the attack. Others look on in terror. The one in the mouth is dead, hence the spirit coming out. The "dragon" is just a giant bulky chameleon, i find that would be an awesome dragon. this particular dragon is named "Sky Biter" from the blue around his mouth. Spolier - this dragon doesn't die here, but does get hurt pretty bad.
Posted Image

Edited by redjarojam, 31 July 2011 - 06:14 AM.

#2 Clawfreak

Clawfreak

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1993 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:19 AM

Nice work Jared!!! You have mad skills yo!!
I really like the deer antlered one!!

#3 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

Very cool man, i love the look of the characters. :)

#4 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:59 AM

Pretty damn awesome! I love the style!

#5 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

Not only is the presentation clean and appealing but your subject matter has a mature edge to an art style that is some what similar to "Where the Wild Things Are" (which is meant as a compliment!). If you've seen the motion picture based upon Where the Wild Things Are you know they dealt with a more mature theme as well.

Very nice work :)
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#6 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the comments. That was the culmination of my college work. Those guys started as doodles on my anthropology notes. I will be doing more stuff with these guys soon as I start on a comic for them and more sculpts, possibly even a small 2 inch set of figures.

Here are some more recent stuff on paper.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Red Marauder

Red Marauder

Mild, Medium, or Extra Nerdy?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

That is so awesome!!! How about instead of just a comic book, you do a weekly comic strip? It could have that surrealist edge, like Calvin and Hobbes or the more recent Lio? Your characters are almost comical, certainly absurd, and the various activities they engage in are dark but ultimately entertaining. Again, all compliments--I mean it--and I look forward to seeing more!
Preaching the depraved sermons given to us from the heavy metal gods!!!

#8 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:26 AM

Great stuff, You have a very cool style to your art.
It almost has a Where The Wild Things Are feel to it, Looking foward to future posts from you.

:M: eats
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 PlasticPlayhouse

PlasticPlayhouse

Mr. SparkleTits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:TMNT, m.u.s.c.l.e., GPK's, Classic NES, Transformers...pretty much anything pop-culture related from the 80's & 90's

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

Great stuff man. I really enjoy looking at your thread!
Want to commission me to customize your m.u.s.c.l.e. or any other figure??? then click the link below for further info and message (PM) me if interested :)

http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69686&pid=351254&st=0&#entry351254

#10 DrBo

DrBo

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

These work both as triballistic art stylised guys and pop culture, toy like fun little dudes.

Personnal, fun and very creative. Thanks for sharing, and neat to see you keep exploring their world!
- Dr Bo,
Man of Kitsch, robot and glamour

Ebay user: bdbonhomme

#11 bizrebellion

bizrebellion

<< Minifig Lover >>

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Interests:BOGLINS in any shape or size,Minifig's, rockin' out on my guitars, my fiancee and my kids and bootsales (for the LRG's) x¬D

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hey dude, these are really cool, i like the style on these characters, you got a name for them??
i mean like a name for the characters 'species' rather than indavidually,

you know, like boglins, or muscle men, or battle beasts, i think im rattling on a bit now but you get the idea, if you dont then maybe a few of these awesome fellows on this site can come up with a name for their species or tribe :D

once again fella :good: nice work dude

Biz

Posted Image

#12 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

Neat stuff; I like the simple, yet very effective, style. They would make a great mini-figure line!

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#13 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hey dude, these are really cool, i like the style on these characters, you got a name for them??
i mean like a name for the characters 'species' rather than indavidually,

you know, like boglins, or muscle men, or battle beasts, i think im rattling on a bit now but you get the idea, if you dont then maybe a few of these awesome fellows on this site can come up with a name for their species or tribe :D

once again fella :good: nice work dude

Biz

Yes I certainly have a name for these lil duders, I call them Owltu. Thank you all for the comments, I love these little guys and have fun sketching them all the time. I have been out of drawing/painting for a few years since school, but I am getting back into it. The comments and interest here has definitely helped inspire me to get back to them.

I totally forgot about this thread and kind of slinked away from the internet for a long while. I am back and should have tons of new stuff to pour into this thread. I just started a Flickr and uploaded all this stuff to it as well as found/uploaded my old college drawing class work.

Dat Flickr

here are a few

Posted Image
The Three Witches by redjarojam, on Flickr

Posted Image
Artichoke 3 by redjarojam, on Flickr

Posted Image
X-Ray Self Portrait by redjarojam, on Flickr

Posted Image
Skull Drawing 1 by redjarojam, on Flickr

Posted Image
Theseus 2 by redjarojam, on Flickr

Posted Image
Skull Drawing 3 by redjarojam, on Flickr

New stuff soon! No more old college crap I promise.

Edited by redjarojam, 05 February 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#14 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

Yeah havent seen you around for awhile... and diggin your latest posted stuff. cant wait to see whats to come :yes:

#15 DDR

DDR

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:MUSCLE Salmon #108

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

Dig your style & like the backstory/social commentary...
Awesome work!

#16 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Yeah havent seen you around for awhile... and diggin your latest posted stuff. cant wait to see whats to come :yes:

Yeah been a while man. Getting back to drawing like a beast.

Dig your style & like the backstory/social commentary...
Awesome work!

Tank You! Glad to hear you like he little guys. Plenty of new Owltu stuff on the way.

Here is some TMNT stuff I am working on. Some other random stuff sprinkled in.

Got new stuff in the works!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Silk screens for sale. Prices not based on size, but difficulty in printing haha. Smallest one was hardest with 6 colors pulled, where the others have 2-3 colors and are far less complex. Send me a message if you have any interest in these or anything from my Flickr

8 x 8 inches Native American drum design - $15
Posted Image
Drum Skin by redjarojam, on Flickr

14.5 x 8 3/8 inches Sheneneh from Martin spoofing OBEY - $5
Posted Image
OKAY Neighbor by redjarojam, on Flickr

15 x 11 1/8 inches Faux band poster inspired by Pogues song Sickbed of Cuchulainn - $10
Posted Image
Sickbed of Cuchulainn by redjarojam, on Flickr

#18 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Cobra Battle Beast wandering around a battlefield.
Posted Image

Sneagator Claw Vs. Robin Mask

Claw is using Robin Mask's signature move the "Tower Bridge" against him. Robin Mask thinks Claw smells like an old shoe.
Posted Image

#19 Bigmantoys

Bigmantoys

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Haha. I love the art skills naturally, but the "thinking of an old shoe" is a real nice touch. You into the works of Joshua Cotter by any chance?

www.bigmantoys.co.uk

If you've ever seen a one trick pony then you've seen me.

#20 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hey, that tile looks familiar! :lol:

Attached File  tile.JPG   38.9K   11 downloads

#21 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

Did a painted display for my local theater. They have a booth advertising the upcoming IMAX film. Superman is out and my display went in tonight. It is like a giant pop up book display haha.

sitting on the couch before taking down to the theater.
prdisplay1.JPG
prdisplay2.JPG
My moms poodle sitting with it while I was working on it.
prdisplay3.jpg

Here it is in the theater.
prtheater1.JPG
prtheater2.JPG
prtheater3.JPG

Edited by redjarojam, 27 June 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#22 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Your camera is super good, your pictures are some of the most clearest I've ever seen here. Oh yeah the art is nice too.

What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#23 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Wow that's pretty bad ass.

#24 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

Your camera is super good, your pictures are some of the most clearest I've ever seen here. Oh yeah the art is nice too.

The camera is nothing too fancy. Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5. The art i take pictures of is OK I guess.

Wow that's pretty bad ass.

Thanks! Its fun to make stuff for the theater.

#25 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

RIDDICK!

I come to put your head in a box! RIGHT HERE!

Newest display for thee theater is up! Crappy phone pictures for now. Will take better ones when I go to see World's End on Friday.
riddick1.jpg

riddick2.jpg

riddick3.jpg

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com