Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Lucky art challenge #13! ODDBALL!

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

I'm back! And I brought my back with me!

• Legends
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Taking old toys and making them new again.
    Staying motivated artisticly, creatively.
    Keeping my XboX360 addiction under controll.
    Putting my surplus M.U.S.C.L.E.s in trades of other toylines.
    Talking like Tom Waits more often.
    Getting that Y/S N*T tattooed big n' bold accross my back.
    Having my dentist build me some new permanent fangs.

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:09 PM

This one's pretty easy: any and all art entries that have (a) boglin, madball, or wierdball as the focus. No media or size restrictions. if you spill your coffee on a post-it, and the stain looks like a wierdball, enter it! any subject goes! If you want Picard and Warf bieng overwhelmed by a wave of Boglins, fantastic! even oragami and picture cubes are fair game!
Posted Image

#2 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:06 PM

Killer. I've been working on some Boglin art for my next tattoo anyway. :)
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#3 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:18 PM

cheater. :woot:

i'm gonna have to pick up my fullsize dwork for this one. i'm going to try and make this entry look completely different from anything else i've done. the challenge.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#4 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

I'm back! And I brought my back with me!

• Legends
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Taking old toys and making them new again.
    Staying motivated artisticly, creatively.
    Keeping my XboX360 addiction under controll.
    Putting my surplus M.U.S.C.L.E.s in trades of other toylines.
    Talking like Tom Waits more often.
    Getting that Y/S N*T tattooed big n' bold accross my back.
    Having my dentist build me some new permanent fangs.

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

Forgot to mention, this challenge covers August and September. This will be the first challenge that has a hand-painted patch as the prize.
Posted Image

#5 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order, these are the things I collect;
    Monster in my Pocket (Both original the modern)
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:26 PM

Well, I better state my intention to enter. I'm really really good at forgetting and procrastinating with things like this, I figure if I tell everyone I'm going to enter I'll have to do it, lol.

I'll probably draw me some boglins. They were the toy my parents wouldn't let me have. I could have had a full set of slime boglins! But no! We can't have more than one toilet in our house! Bloody old people and their conservative views on 'hygene' and whatever else they told me was the reason I couldn't have boglins.
I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

#6 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:27 AM

Well, I better state my intention to enter. I'm really really good at forgetting and procrastinating with things like this, I figure if I tell everyone I'm going to enter I'll have to do it, lol.

I'll probably draw me some boglins. They were the toy my parents wouldn't let me have. I could have had a full set of slime boglins! But no! We can't have more than one toilet in our house! Bloody old people and their conservative views on 'hygene' and whatever else they told me was the reason I couldn't have boglins.

my mum used to let me make boglin traps (out of bits o plastic and wire) and put them by the toilet, fridge, under stairs outside ... well anywhere round the house where boglins mite live. never actually trapped any tho...

not all boglins actually live in the toilet its just the rude dudes, actually does anyone know where the samurai live in the wild?
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

Abolish The Ninja Mites Section

#7 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:08 PM

my mum used to let me make boglin traps (out of bits o plastic and wire) and put them by the toilet, fridge, under stairs outside ... well anywhere round the house where boglins mite live. never actually trapped any tho...

not all boglins actually live in the toilet its just the rude dudes, actually does anyone know where the samurai live in the wild?

I know not all boglins live in the loo, the issue was with the toilet full of slime that the slime boglins came in. For some reason granny thought it was a sin to have a toy that represented a toilet or something. I was free to have robots with laser blasters and an air powered crossbow that fired foam bolts, but a toilet? Now that's just going too far :D

If I were your mum, I would have bought a pack of boglins one day and stuck some inside one of those traps, just to see what you would do :D anyway, were you using the right bait? Boglins like to eat snickers. Betcha didn't know THAT!

http://www.crowncomb...ns/boglins.html

Man I love cross advertising, makes all these weird things happen.

Also, to find the samurai try the local japanese tea-house, they're probably checking out the geisha or something. And that would be pretty cool too, geisha boglins. Wonder what they would have looked like?

#8 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:37 PM

Well, I actually started my entry, here's part one. I'm making a new tribe of boglins... 'course if I forget to finish I guess I can just enter half a tribe or something...

Anyway, here's Chief Blarg, he's got a taste for adventure.

And yes, he is in my fridge. He's made out of plastacine and will melt when the heater is on -.-

Attached File  frontblarg.jpg   44.25K   19 downloadsAttached File  leftblarg.jpg   52.94K   5 downloads
Attached File  backblarg.jpg   61.1K   2 downloadsAttached File  rightblarg.jpg   55.41K   2 downloads

and here are some comparison shots with a real boglin.
Attached File  comparisonblarg.jpg   63.51K   19 downloadsAttached File  comparison2blarg.jpg   66.41K   3 downloads

And my breakfast got cold whilst I was making him, so I hope you're all happy. :)

Edited by Airot, 13 August 2008 - 04:42 PM.

#9 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

that's awesome airot. i hadn't even thought of doing a sculpture. my idea is pretty different on this one though. i hope i'll get at least one vote.

#10 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

i'll vote for you dan. i dont even know what its gonna be but i will.

#11 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:57 PM

Now I've done 2 more, but I'm running out of plastacine, I don't think I'll be able to make a whole tribe without getting some more.

Meet Spy Blerk, caught by surprise;
Attached File  blerkfront.jpg   73.48K   9 downloadsAttached File  blerkleft.jpg   57.11K   1 downloads
Attached File  blerkback.jpg   40.31K   0 downloadsAttached File  blerkright.jpg   55.85K   0 downloads

and Messenger Blonk, won't tell a soul;
Attached File  blonkfront.jpg   50.31K   10 downloadsAttached File  blonkleft.jpg   68.48K   0 downloads
Attached File  blonkback.jpg   61.44K   2 downloadsAttached File  blonkright.jpg   48.28K   0 downloads

And here's a sexy group shot;
Attached File  group.jpg   68.27K   10 downloads

Dunno about Blerk. He looks kind of funny. I like Blonk's expression. I just wish I hadn't made him out of dark coloured plastacine, lol.

And thanks Dan :) I hadn't thought about doing a sculpture either, then I found some plastacine dinosaurs I made that had melted so they were all lying down like they were dead... and thought I'd better save them, but it turns out that it's hard to save plastacine sculptures when they melt because bits break off. And when I was wondering what to make I happened to... oh, I'm rambling. Anyway, it was circumstances that resulted in sculpted boglins, rather than thinking.

Edited by Airot, 13 August 2008 - 09:10 PM.

#12 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

i'll vote for you dan. i dont even know what its gonna be but i will.

nah. don't worry about it. with the way the contests have been going lately, i'm sure there will be worthy entries that you should vote for.

EDIT: here's the rough sketch i've been working with. actually doing my picture in illustrator this time. well, so far anyway. we'll see if it's gonna work or not, i may have to restart from scratch if i'm not happy with this one.

Attached Files

Edited by dankingery, 13 August 2008 - 09:27 PM.

#13 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:23 PM

ok, i'll vote for myself then. im sure mine is going to be the best entry anyways... :)

#14 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

who knows, i may end up voting for you. or scumdogg, or seres, or tortle, or reccoom, or airot.

#15 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:38 AM

He's made out of plastacine and will melt when the heater is on -.-

Hey, cool, sculptures! That's new for these FACs. And they look cool too!
I'd suggest you make them out of colored Sculpey and harden them with a heat gun.
Or use white Sculpey, heat gun, then paint them. That way they'll last.

Edited by Kevin Mayle, 14 August 2008 - 12:39 AM.

#16 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:40 PM

i've always had a hard time getting great detail with sculpey. seems like it'd rather crack than do what you tell it to. is there some sculpey secret i don't know about or am i just lame? :)

#17 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

i've always had a hard time getting great detail with sculpey. seems like it'd rather crack than do what you tell it to. is there some sculpey secret i don't know about or am i just lame? :)

You're just lame.
JUST KIDDING!

#18 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

:)

#19 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:44 AM

i love that cheif, apart from the size it fits in so well with the sculpting of the original 36 youve even given him 3 horns ;) i wish it was made of summing else tho so u could send it to me!

ur blerk reminds me of stroll, a cool mini and blonk for some reason has a big cat feel to it for me ....

oli
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

#20 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:59 AM

i love that cheif, apart from the size it fits in so well with the sculpting of the original 36 youve even given him 3 horns :confused: i wish it was made of summing else tho so u could send it to me!

ur blerk reminds me of stroll, a cool mini and blonk for some reason has a big cat feel to it for me ....

All the chiefs had 3 horns, so he wouldn't be a chief without them, lol. I put an envelope on the messenger too, but it's underneath, so you can't see it.

Blonk reminds me a bit of a pig because of his nose and floppy ears.

If I could make casts of them I'd make a whole new series of boglins! But I don't know how, and I'm guessing it will take some skills and machinery I haven't got. Plus, I don't know if I like blonk and blerk...

#21 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:13 AM

i love that cheif, apart from the size it fits in so well with the sculpting of the original 36 youve even given him 3 horns :) i wish it was made of summing else tho so u could send it to me!

All the chiefs had 3 horns, so he wouldn't be a chief without them, lol. I put an envelope on the messenger too, but it's underneath, so you can't see it.

Blonk reminds me a bit of a pig because of his nose and floppy ears.

If I could make casts of them I'd make a whole new series of boglins! But I don't know how, and I'm guessing it will take some skills and machinery I haven't got. Plus, I don't know if I like blonk and blerk...

hey, i knew that! i just thought it was nice u thought bout it.

evil okoro showed me this page

http://www.yellowcat...ubcatid=3500028

apparently thats the stuff u would need to make stuff into resin.
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

#22 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:52 PM

ok keep in mind I'm not an artist in any way shape or form, but would play dough work? It's very easy to work with and dries hard as a rock, somewhat brittle maybe but as long as you dont' drop them. btw, they look kick ass! I'm fairly new to boglins and if I hadn't known they were customs I would have just thought they were some I didn't have.
Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

#23 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

gilgar, sometimes, prolly more often than not, when playdough dries it cracks. it could be anywhere from a series of small cracks to a large crack. not the greatest medium for permanent sculpture. at least thats what my memory tells me.

#24 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

ok keep in mind I'm not an artist in any way shape or form, but would play dough work?

It would work, but it does crack like dankingery says, and it also desintegrates with age. I know these things because I was THE playdough sculptor at my primary school, lol. I wound up having to throw a lot of the things I made away because they just turned to dust over the years, or if they were in a damp place, turned to gross goo. Even my apple sculptures lasted longer than my playdough stuff, lol.

I guess I could have made them from sculpey or fimo, but it's a tad expensive here. I was thinking about getting some green stuff to try my hand at warhammer style minifigs but that's pretty bloody expensive too. Plastacine is cheap, and can be kept for years in the fridge, and I just happened to have some in my hand at the time I thought about making boglins, so thats what they got made from, lol.

I wonder how much it costs to hire a kiln for a batch of stuff? If it's not too much I could make boglins out of clay. But I'm not using that no-kiln crap, it stinks and makes my eyes water. And I guess it would be harder to make a mould from a clay figure than a plastacine one because clay is porus and the mould stuff would fuse with the surface... I should just find out the best/cheapest/easiest way to make moulds. Should probably ask over in customs, eh? Then I'll be well on my way to releasing a homebrew boglins line, lol.

#25 Seres Wyvern

Seres Wyvern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Macro photography, scientific illustration, coin collecting.

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

who knows, i may end up voting for you. or scumdogg, or seres, or tortle, or reccoom, or airot.

I-I'll be in?? :cry:

Ok, so I'll be in! Posted Image

*fighting against time*

Edited by Seres Wyvern, 28 August 2008 - 01:08 PM.

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com