Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What are the rarest and priciest MIMP figures?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:03 AM

Hi all! I'm not majorly into the MIMP fanbase at all (I only have vague recollections of reading the backs of the cards that suggested "points values" way back in my childhood), but I was curious as to what the most expensive, and rarest figures, tend to be. It seems like blue is the most valuable, simply because it's got the coolest look and really "pops" visually. Especially for the Series III giveaway (Shreddies/Big Boy) figs. 

Are there "Holy Grail" MIMPs out there? What's the really big stuff that people fight to get? It seems like a lower-selling thing that the MUSCLEs (which get inflated really far).

Apologies if this has been covered already, but I went searching and didn't find it :).

#2 fisheye

fisheye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Muscle. Marvel Comics. Marvel Trading Cards. PS4/PS5/Switch/GBA/DS/3DS gaming.

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:51 AM

As someone who doesn't collect MIMP, I'd say I'v seen Anubis and Jimmy Squarefoot talked about the most when it comes to rare figures. The only MIMPs I have are three Ganesha. And my understanding is that Ganesha is also a rare/uncommon figure.

#3 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:04 AM

Star Jotun

#4 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:14 AM

Yeah Star Juton is a huge get.  As is Premium blue cyclops.

#5 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:23 PM

Cool! Jimmy & Anubis were the ones I had, though I saw Centaurs & Snowmen from the same set going for a lot more on eBay. What makes Star Jotun so rare?

Any particular colors that are bigger deals?

#6 Sydot

Sydot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

Cool! Jimmy & Anubis were the ones I had, though I saw Centaurs & Snowmen from the same set going for a lot more on eBay. What makes Star Jotun so rare?

He was part of a contest back when they came out. It was something along the lines if you find him, send him in and we will send you a bag of MIMP. So not only was he rare to begin with, but its likely that several that did exist were sent back to the manufacturer. 

www.instagram.com/sydot_toys

#7 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:10 PM

He was part of a contest back when they came out. It was something along the lines if you find him, send him in and we will send you a bag of MIMP. So not only was he rare to begin with, but its likely that several that did exist were sent back to the manufacturer. 

Oh, that's kinda funny. I remember reading a topic on here about some guy selling fake Star Jotuns, because the star was in different places and in different shapes on the figure. It's kinda funny someone would go to that kind of effort- how much do they typically sell for?

#8 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:32 AM

They're so uncommon that there is no such thing as a typical sale price. Before that topic, a legitimate Star Jotun Troll had never been documented, and it hadn't even been confirmed that Jotun Troll was the only figure intended for that promotion in the first place.

#9 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:54 AM

Heh- interesting. That, and the whole MUSCLE thing, always makes me think. With TMNT or something, you generally know what was made, when it was made, and why. With MIMP & MUSCLEs, there's so much speculation going about, and so many unknowables. 

Many of these things seem to be rare and pricey simply because people assume they should be- I remember reading the little bit where some rare MUSCLE figs would go for insanely-inflated prices because one guy paid a ton of money for them, only for one of the owners to mysteriously release ANOTHER of the same fig months later, thus keeping down the perceived number of figures out there, thus justifying high prices. A very canny move, since releasing their full number at once makes people realize how "common" they actually are/were.

#10 GakMan

GakMan

Gak-Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

Star Jotun  is the obvious top. I 'd never heard of the blue Cyclops but I imagine that's a second. Other rares, from what I've seen, are orange Cockatrice and Cockatrice in other uncommon Series 1 colours; blue Series 1 figures are also uncommon. Orange Ganesha and Herne are also somewhat rare, blue jabberwocky  too.

Any figures from Series 3 are considered to be rare and often fetch at least £50+ and might even pull £100+.

Despite not being official releases and often lower quality prints; Mexican Sonrics, Peruvian and Greek figures pull a decent amount of cash too because of their colours such as turquoise, royal blue, deep purple, black, and clear.

I can't state specific prices but I'd say (for ones you actually have a chance of finding) Series 3 would be the most pricey .

#11 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

Star Jotun. There are many other sought after figures, but he takes the cake, eats it and poops it out. 

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#12 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

I would argue that the few 1 of 1 or 1 of 2 "un-produced" mimp colors are rarer than Star Troll or equally as rare as best we can tell at this time. However, I would say that Star Troll would demand the most attention and higher price due to greater demand and popularity of the figure. More people know about star troll than the so called "un-produced" mimp sculpt/color combos. 

So far we know of 3 Star Trolls, 1 standard yellow Hydra, 2 Standard yellow T-Rex, 2 Standard red Karnak, 1 Olive Haniver and 1 Standard red Haniver. At this point it makes those figure rarer than Star Troll. But who knows what is laying around in storage lockers. It is reasonable to assume that Star Troll should be the rarest; but so far more of the other figures are not popping up anywhere. 

I would say that as Shreddies S3 go; Anubis is easily the most common. 

See my collection on Instagram. @Paul.Sewell.14

#13 fisheye

fisheye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Muscle. Marvel Comics. Marvel Trading Cards. PS4/PS5/Switch/GBA/DS/3DS gaming.

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

So what about colors? I know about Muscle colors and there is a class system for them. Is it similar for MIMP? Are there more rare or desirable colors for certain figures? If so what are some examples?

#14 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:36 PM

Mimp collectors have tried to stay away from a class system because it encourages price inflation although the mimp market is not nearly as competitive as muscle. Especially these days with so few new collectors. Rarity varies and has to do with sculpt/color combos rather than specific figures or colors alone. Personally I'd say the rarest figure in the set is the blue cyclops premium by far. There were a handful that were snatched up a few years ago but he's basically non-existent these days. I was fortunate and found one in Mexico of all places and no its not a sonrics.

As far as neons go the rarest are NG Gremlin, NG Behemoth, NY Griffin, NY Great Beast and NR Medusa by a long shot IME. Most of the NY 25 points are rare as WELL. Then there are a scattering of uncommon/ rare throughout.

Edited by PaulEWog116, 13 February 2018 - 05:36 PM.

#15 Snuff

Snuff

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:MIMP

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

I would argue that the few 1 of 1 or 1 of 2 "un-produced" mimp colors are rarer than Star Troll or equally as rare as best we can tell at this time. However, I would say that Star Troll would demand the most attention and higher price due to greater demand and popularity of the figure. More people know about star troll than the so called "un-produced" mimp sculpt/color combos. 

So far we know of 3 Star Trolls, 1 standard yellow Hydra, 2 Standard yellow T-Rex, 2 Standard red Karnak, 1 Olive Haniver and 1 Standard red Haniver. At this point it makes those figure rarer than Star Troll. But who knows what is laying around in storage lockers. It is reasonable to assume that Star Troll should be the rarest; but so far more of the other figures are not popping up anywhere. 

C

ould we add Standard Yellow Harpy to this category?

Haven't seen any of those, could they be "mistake" runnings of figures?

#16 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

Absolutely, Snuff. Only two standard yellow Harpy have been found. I thought I added yellow harpy to my post but I guess not. Shame on me, considering I own one of the two known to exist. It's anyone's guess at this point where they came from.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com