d_knight7

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:46 AM

How tall are regular decoys?

How tall are the Japanese decoys?

Where is a good place to pick up decoys cheaply?

Where is a good place to pick up Japanese decoys cheaply?

Thanks in advance fellas :crazy:

#2 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:59 AM

A little over an inch.

The same.

Nowhere, Transformers =/= cheap. (but you can pick them up expensively on ebay)

Japan.

:crazy:
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#3 d_knight7

d_knight7

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:18 AM

Well, thank you for the fast reply anyway ;)

Are you giving this info from personal experience (IE you have both US and Japanese decoys in your own collection)?

Just what I've seen various places online suggest that decoys are larger than an inch, and that the Japanese decoys are twice the size of the US ones.

Not doubting you, I'd just like some additional feedback.

I'm mad about scale, and anything in my collection has to sync up to a certain size :crazy:

#4 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

I've seen some in a toy shop that purported to be Japanese, but they could've been mistaken or lying i guess. They were the same size as the US ones, about 1-1.5". But they weren't in packaging so all i can do is take that store's word for it.

If it's anything at all like other keshi lines though, there's no reason the Japanese ones would be twice the size as ours.

Edited by Scumdogg, 30 April 2009 - 08:29 AM.

Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#5 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

Japanese TF keshi are not twice the size of the US counterparts, unless you happened to get information that was about a separate TF keshi line rather than the ones that became Decoys.

There are alternate colors for Transformers keshi though - the one I recall the most offhand is yellow.

#6 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

They are the same size, colors and material. However, there are some other colors that the JP ones came in, such as yellow, dark blue, flesh. There were also some JP ones that were different proportionately, i.e. thinner builds. But the overall size is the same.

I have never seen one twice the size of the regular ones in all my years of keshi collecting. Not to say they aren't out there, but if they are, they are very scarce.

I have had both types (US/JP) at one point in time or another. They generally get mixed in with big keshi lots on YJP. Average price, based on what I have bought and sold for, is $5 per, with some exceptions being higher priced for popular/rare ones and cheaper in large mixed lots.

#7 d_knight7

d_knight7

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

HERE is where I got the info about the larger Japanese decoys.

I guess, according to this guy, there are practically identical US and Japanese decoys but ALSO larger Japanese ones.

Comments?

Also, for the regular decoys, on average are we talking an inch, or an inch and a half? It doesn't sound like a lot of difference, but as I said I only collect things that relate to a certain scale.

Like most guys, that extra half inch matters B)

#8 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

Here is a comparison shot with a Kinnikuman and a Laser beast

Attached Files

#9 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

with the us ones, the red are more common and the purple are less... all are released red but only the decepticons are purple.

#10 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

with the us ones, the red are more common and the purple are less... all are released red but only the decepticons are purple.

...actually, it's the reverse of that depending on which faction you're talking about.

Autobots only come in one color, red. They always stayed the same and even their Japanese counterparts in the boxed sets are the same color.

Decepticons are where it got interesting! The original release had them made in the same red color as the Autobots. But this was either an error or Hasbro changed their minds about it or... something. Subsequent releases of Decepticon Decoys were in the appropriate purple color.

Autobots and purple Decepticons are roughly the same value, but red Decepticons command a slight premium due to their added rarity. This will only mean something to the select few trying to track full red Decepticon sets though, or someone who wants both versions of a specific Decepticon. I have no clue if anyone's ever assembled a fully red set.

Edited by Boaconda, 30 April 2009 - 04:45 PM.

#11 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:31 PM

oh yeah... my bad... brain fart... ive seen a complete set of red at a local collectable expo that this guy had on display but not for sale... he died about 2 years ago tho and his collection disappear amongst his family.

#12 djniku19

djniku19

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

They are the same size, colors and material. However, there are some other colors that the JP ones came in, such as yellow, dark blue, flesh. There were also some JP ones that were different proportionately, i.e. thinner builds. But the overall size is the same.

I have never seen one twice the size of the regular ones in all my years of keshi collecting. Not to say they aren't out there, but if they are, they are very scarce.

I have had both types (US/JP) at one point in time or another. They generally get mixed in with big keshi lots on YJP. Average price, based on what I have bought and sold for, is $5 per, with some exceptions being higher priced for popular/rare ones and cheaper in large mixed lots.

That would make sense. I was wondering why in my Decoy collection I had Scrapper #47 in red and yellow but not purple(because he is a decepticon). Although I must admit the flesh colors are pretty bad a$$. Especially my favorite decoy sculpt, Ravage! So then my question is what series would the larger rubber Soundwave sculpt (on the far right) be from? Does anyone know if this was a US or JP release? Its dated 1985 from hasbro which makes me think its from the US? ;)

Attached Files

Edited by djniku19, 30 April 2009 - 08:28 PM.

#13 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

Soundwave might be a pencil topper. I had Optimus and Megatron pencil toppers that were the same blocky styling. The ones I had were MOC and were US party favors.

#14 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:15 AM

Here's a great resource for Tranformer Decoy's: Rubber Fever Archive.
Posted Image

#15 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

Does everyone concur with the $5 per value?
Posted Image

#16 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

Not some of the people I've seen selling them. :lol:

Decoys are an odd piece among Transformers collectors. Like other LRGs, they're really a niche collectible, but they can also command stupid prices, even before the movie doubled TF popularity.

I think the average upper end of prices could easily be $10, anything more is insanity.

#17 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

Does everyone concur with the $5 per value?

Nope. On average maybe, but the price depends on the character.

Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee can fetch $10+. Guys like Huffer, Smokescreen, don't. Some sellers are very mis-informed when it comes to selling decoys. They hike up Reflector, and Ravage prices at times stating rarity, when they were made in equal numbers to all other normal decoys. Laserbeak had sold for a good amount in the 90's. I think he's come down a lot over the past few years.

Japanese releases are all over the board. There's several catagories of releases too. Each has separate value conditions.
--Dave

#18 d_knight7

d_knight7

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

Some really interesting/informative posts on what had seemed a dead thread.

Thanks for the info and comments guys!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com