12 replies to this topic

#1 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:18 AM

Well, this was the first time in 10 trips to Japan I have suffered from major jet lag. I can't believe it took 3 days to recover from my trip. Granted in Japan I got very little sleep, some nigths none at all, but this was always the case. I never felt so run down coming home before, but it seems to have passed.

I found the market for BB's, and toys in general to be very disappointing. It's been 2 years since my last trip, and I see that a continued raping of toy shops in Japan (most often by foreign dealers) has made collectors store shopping in Tokyo a waste of time. The bulk of what I found at collectors shops was new toys. I did not buy one vintage item at a toy shop this trip. Everything I got was from the last 4 years, and mostly gashapon and game prizes. Things that you typically don't see imported here much. Shops in Tokyo do still have vintage pieces, but the prices....my God the prices are insane. There are Transformers that can be had cheaper on Ebay then what some of these shops were asking. The effect the foreign dealer/market has had is tremendous, and not in a positive way.

As for BB's/LB's and the like, I didn't see a single one at any of the toy shops I visited. Not even a loose one. That's not to say I didn't see them on the trip at all.

While toy shops are getting worse, the toy shows seem to be stable. I was able to find some good deals at the 3 toy shows I got too. Sadly I missed the largest of the shows cause it was taking place the day I arrived, but the 3 others were still good. I managed to get a bunch of the Bandai's Soul of Chogokin guys I needed, as well as some desired Machine Robo stuff, all at great discounts up to 50% off retail price. My friend in Japan needed a few more LB's to complete his set, I had found them and he was happy at first, but they were loose, and had no weapons, and worst of all....no cards. So he wasn't eager to take them off me. At the first show we went to he found a dealer with an entire bag full of Beasts. He got some Lasers, a Clear Carp (his 4th or 5th), and a stack of cards he needed. All for a cheap price of $65. I don't recall off hand what the bag consisted of other than the cards, since that's what he was most excited about. I don't think there was any high number Lasers, and no gumball/SDs. My friend also scored a $2 boxed orange Ape which had a card he needed.

The next find would go to Alex Bickmore. A find I have to say I was a bit peeved about to an extent. Not mad at Alex, but myself. I met a dealer 2 and a half years ago on my last winter trip to Japan. In talking with him, I remembered his table partner sold Beastformers at his shop. So I inquired about them. He said he had a few, and what really caught my ear was when eh said he had a box of gashapon Beasts, or rather gumball Beasts. I of course wanted them, but he had a whole box. This meant whites, SDs, and colors, most of which I probably wouldn't want in the end. So I let him know I wanted them, and that I could contact him via his friend. I made half-hearted attempts for about a year to get them, but because of what crap I would have to buy in order to get what I wanted, I never actually finished the deal. So a few weeks before I left for Japan I tried once more to contact the seller and maybe work something out, but I got ignored. Now back to Alex, and his brother. Months ago, Alex told me his brother came upon a dealer selling a set of Beasts, a set that included some white Beasts. The asking price...$700. Well, they worked out a deal for $500 and Alex agreed to pick them up at the show that took place a few weeks ago. All he knew was there was alot of Lasers, high numbers included, and 5 white Gumballs, and some assorted SD's and regular colored Beastformers. So you may have already figured out who the seller was making the deal with Alex...yes the same guy I had basiclly given up on dealing with more than a year ago. The set Alex got is very nice, and with it containing the 5 gumballs which have hit the "I can't believe you're paying that stupidly high price" of $100 a pop, high number LB's like Green Rayfer, Horn Head, King Buster and loose BB's, some of which are fecthing up to $30 at times, he got more than a good deal when paying $500.

At the same show we met another guy who sold Beastformers. My friend in Japan was working something out with him, to meet him at a show the next day. The guy didn't know Beasts, and couldn't even say for sure what he had. The only thing he knew for sure was " a boxed set with small boards and figures", which was the Shield Battlers set. When we met the guy the next day, he had a box full of packaged Beasts. He also had a bag of loose stuff. The only boxed Lasers he had were Green Rayfer, and two minor guys I have already forgotten, I think Condorassin was one. The seller had about 35 boxed Beastformers as well as some loose ones, a loose Clear Carp, a King Buster w/ maroon prize drill and assorted loose Lasers with guns but no cards. Again, the lot price was high, $500. And he wouldn't sell seperately. When you broke it down, it was a fair price, but this was the 3rd show we went to, and both of our funds were dipping into red. The $500 price tag was just more than either of us could handle, even combined we cam up $50 short. Problem is, he wouldn't budge a bit on the price. Even though the Beastformers were almost worthless to us, he keep saying they were worth alot. And in Japan, they are not. So for about 30 minutes my friend talked it over with him, and was able to at least get the seller to sell him the boxed Rayfer (with wrong card), and a loose with gun Horn head and Kickback to finish off his LB collection. Overall a very hard deal to make, and a look into just what the foreign Beast market has done to Japan, it's made sellers there think all their BB stuff is worth money, when in fact only about 6 of his 50 Beasts had any real value.

The last Beastformers item I stumbled across came 2 days before I left. I was in Tokyo at a chain store Mandarake. I was walking by the book shop and seen some Transformers book in the display case, then seen a Beastformers book. When we spotted the price we were speachless, $80!! The last two I know that actually sold, were for $50 and then $30. I know one seller on Ebay who was trying for $125, and then $80 but couldn't sell it. That book is neat, but contains so little new info that it really is only worth about $50. And there it was for $80. This of course seemed cheap compared to the outrageous costs of the TF books displayed next to it. This chain is another that I will add to my "don't need to visit" list for future trips to Japan.

And that was it for Beast finds. Kinda bleak huh? For now, I am sticking with toy shows, and Yhaoo Japan.
--Dave

#2 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:41 AM

WOW Dave...

That sucks... :D

Sounds like a fun trip...but, rather frustrating. :(

Oh well... ;)

Thanks for the great update from Japan. ;)

TGB

#3 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:12 AM

What a trip ! 3 toys shows in Japan. If only I could have been with you ...

But that's not the subject of my question. Do you know if Japanese collectors of BB and LB are aware of the 6 Euro only shields battler ? And are they aware too that it exists in some country different beasts than in Japan (for exemple the Bestias de Combate or the Greek beasts) ?

Regards,

Sylvain

PS : Do you know if naniittenoya is on this board ? And if not why he isn't.

#4 roland13

roland13

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for sharing your trip with us Dave, I have never been to Japan. But I am really looking forward to going one day.

Eaon

#5 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:45 PM

But that's not the subject of my question. Do you know if Japanese collectors of BB and LB are aware of the 6 Euro only shields battler ? And are they aware too that it exists in some country different beasts than in Japan (for exemple the Bestias de Combate or the Greek beasts) ?

Regards,

Sylvain

Ya,

Why is naniittenoya not on this board?

I haven't spoken with him for 4+ years.

Does he even mess with BB/LB's anymore?

It sounded like he was way more into his FX movie job in Japan than BB/LB collecting back then. I know he got Lazorlion a good deal on a Stone Cobra years ago. ;)

TGB

#6 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:30 PM

sounds like a bitter sweet trip! now i know how much i need to bring w/ me to japan @ least $3000 to cover all bases beastformers & star wars (if the market is big for star wars???)

thanks for sharing!

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#7 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:55 PM

WOW Dave...

That sucks... ;)

Sounds like a fun trip...but, rather frustrating. :D

Oh no, it was totally fun, no bad feelings at all, aside form blistered feet. I don't go soley for toys, so if I don't find any, I am okay. I got lots of great photos using some new photo equipment, so that in itself was worth the trip. And like I said, I got some great deals on newly released stuff I had wanted, so the lack of vintage toy finds really doesn't show on my toy shelf.
--Dave

#8 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:05 PM

Well, it was good and bad. The week I was there for the shows was the week long Golden Week which consists of 3 seperate holidays. It's a pain in the arse for getting around Japan at this time. So while there's lots to do, there's also alot of other people doing it as well. I still feel winter is the best time to go to Japan. December temps are very fair, and days are mostly sunny.

BF's are still in the early stages of making a comeback in Japan, I think mostly due to interest sparked form the foreign influence on the market. Sadly, there's little interaction with us from there. This is typical, since you rarely see Japanese fans of G.I.Joe or Transformers at sites like Yo Joe.com or TF sites. And yes there are collectors there who know full well about the Euro stuff. A few of the TF collectors collect mnay lines, and are extremely knowledgable about anything from C.O.P.S. and Sky Commanders to Mega Force.

The friend in Japan I spoke of in my post is "naniittenoya", and he has not had a chance to gte to this board, or much else in fact. He is extremely busy with multiple projects. I know he wnats to get some of his info up, and I said I could host it for him, but he just hasn't had time to devote to much outside his work.
--Dave

#9 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for sharing your trip with us Dave, I have never been to Japan. But I am really looking forward to going one day.

Yeah, it's always a blast for me. Best tip I can give is plan well. I hope to have a guide to Japan on my new site when (if) it ever gets re-launched.
--Dave

#10 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:08 PM

Why is naniittenoya not on this board?

I haven't spoken with him for 4+ years.

Does he even mess with BB/LB's anymore?

Yeah, he just completed his LB collection, so he was happy. But really, aside from that and a new interest in Microman, he has been busy with work and projects.
--Dave

#11 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:03 PM

Hey Dave, too bad 'bout not making any BB/LB finds while you were in Japan, but I think everybody has missed the main question.... ;)

Did you find any hot chicks over there???
Formally known as Artimus Prime

#12 Another Fan

Another Fan

The Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:27 AM

Hmm... and I was thinking about going to Japan one day to get some Laser Beasts for cheap. Once I save enough money, I'll go there during the winter so I can at least have the snow festival entertain me if I don't find anything. Thanks for letting us know about the BB/LB market there. That gives us an idea of how much extra money we have to bring if we become deperate in hunting down figures.

#13 Giga Leo

Giga Leo

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:29 AM

I'm glad you had fun on your trip, I hope to one day have the funds to make a trip to Japan. It's kind of sad to hear the 180 that's taken place withthe dealers' new view of Beastformers, but I guess it was to be expected. I always laugh when I'm at a local flea market and you've always got that ONE guy who thinks he's justified charging $5-$8 for a SINGLE Battle Beast in crappy shape because he thinks they've got a stock value equal to platinum. And (as I'm sure you've seen) at just about every Transformers convention I attend there's always a few overseas dealers there who have BF merchandise but want anywhere from $500 to $1000 for it. I'm glad I'm a bigger fan of the art/cards than the toys themselves or I would NEVER have completed my collection (nowadays anyway).

"Sure, why not?"

gigabanner.jpg
Gigaleo (a.k.a Tigerburn)
Homepage, Gigaleo.com
Deviant Art Account

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com