Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Japanese translator for Kinnikuman manga?

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#26 SoldierAtaru

SoldierAtaru

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 691 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys. Happy to help.

Well, it's long waiting (doubt it) but my first fill-in is complete! This chapter finally answers questions such as:
-What is Kinnikuman's ultimate weakness?
-Who is that girl that was with Suguru's parents back in chp. 4?
-And...who is that mild mannered news reporter Kurakka Kenta? (then again that one is obvious)

Read it here: http://mangahelpers....d.php?p=1021569

What Ataru's been up to lately:
Posted Image
Well someone has to keep her in line.

#27 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:22 AM

I ~MIGHT~ can work something out, but I dont' know.

You "might can" work something out? Probably don't want you translating anything into English!

:ulp:
Posted Image

#28 SoldierAtaru

SoldierAtaru

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 691 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

Well it came faster than expected but another fill-in is complete, with the introduction of Kinnikuman's greatest rival!

...no, not Terryman, he's already in the story at this point...no, it isn't Robin Mask...yet...or Wolfman...or Warsman...or Buffaloman...or Ashuraman...or Sunshine...or Big the Budou...or Neptuneman...or the princes...yeesh, he has a ton of rivals, doesn't he!

No, it's the rival to top all rivals...at least in this point of the story! And the script for his introduction is here!

http://mangahelpers....d.php?p=1021814

Posted Image

#29 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:19 AM

Sweet!

...now who wants to edit it into the panels and upload the finished .zip file here?

:looks around, sees eyes pointing towards him:

;)

EDIT: Oh yea-- go with Geronimo and Sneagator for those characters. There's a few dub names that were dumb, but some that were brilliant or proper variations (examples-- Monsieur Cheeks / Tea Pac)

Edited by theorgg, 11 September 2008 - 06:30 AM.

Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#30 SoldierAtaru

SoldierAtaru

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

EDIT: Oh yea-- go with Geronimo and Sneagator for those characters. There's a few dub names that were dumb, but some that were brilliant or proper variations (examples-- Monsieur Cheeks / Tea Pac)

Actually I don't think Shockadile is that bad, considering how he kept changing his appearance thus shocking with one after another. But yeah, you don't mess with a classic. (that and anything is better than...Beatlebomb)

Edit time: two more chapters translated in the fill-in period!

First, a Kaijuu is looking for Kin...but does that really mean he's looking for Kinnikuman?
http://mangahelpers....ead.php?t=38784

Then, Suguru and Natsuko get eaten by an alien who eats anything and everything in site:
http://mangahelpers....ead.php?t=38792

Edited by SoldierAtaru, 11 September 2008 - 12:24 PM.

Posted Image

#31 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:02 PM

I havn't read along the comics yet, but it is quite seripidous that the WTC makes an appearance in a comic that you translated (and may have been translated for a mass audience for the first time) on the 9/11 anniversary.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

#32 SoldierAtaru

SoldierAtaru

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:44 PM

I havn't read along the comics yet, but it is quite seripidous that the WTC makes an appearance in a comic that you translated (and may have been translated for a mass audience for the first time) on the 9/11 anniversary.

I'm telling you, it's scary! I didn't specifically mean to translate that chapter on today of all days. But of course remember: back in '79, the WTC was still a new jewel in the skyline of NYC and just as important to them as the Statue of Liberty...heck, it even stood in for the Empire State Building in the DeLaurentus remake of "King Kong"! (but then again, you can't mess with the Empire State Building) My guess is that with the towers the tallest buildings in the world at that moment (before the Sears Tower or any of the newer international skyscrapers were done), WTC was the tallest point in the world...and of course, Yudetamago probably wanted to make a point with how big that stomach was. (and giving Suguru and the others inside refuge until the climax)

Somehow I sort of imagined that chapter more as a comedic survival movie, as if you could remove it from the context of it being a 12-page chapter early on in this world and instead treat it as some movie, complete with the editor dying (only to reappear in the next chapter, as Kazuo did at that point)

Edited by SoldierAtaru, 11 September 2008 - 04:46 PM.

Posted Image

#33 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:10 PM

I'd be up to trying to put the translation into the actual manga too, if Theorgg doesn't mind having help.

#34 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:58 AM

The first one is done, and I'm nearly done with the Skullduggery chapter (Kyooo hooo hooo hooooo!).

Feel free to do the third one, Knux, and we'll see what people think.

Everyone, feedback please! Let me know how it can be improved.

Attached Files

#35 SoldierAtaru

SoldierAtaru

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 691 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:13 AM

The first one is done, and I'm nearly done with the Skullduggery chapter (Kyooo hooo hooo hooooo!).

Feel free to do the third one, Knux, and we'll see what people think.

Everyone, feedback please! Let me know how it can be improved.

I'm having a hard time to download it. It gets to a certain point then just magically aborts. Is there another way we can get this?

Posted Image

#36 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:32 AM

http://www.geocities...ang/Kin0215.zip

#37 SoldierAtaru

SoldierAtaru

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 691 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

http://www.geocities...ang/Kin0215.zip

Wow, that was a great job, even improving on what I did! I'll put this on Mangahelpers so it will get a bit out there for those who want it.

Posted Image

#38 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:28 AM

So you're not mad about the little embellishments that still fit the story as translated?

*wipes away sweat*

Glad to hear it.

Now I wonder if everyone'll cut my head off when they see I used the name "Skullduggery" in the next one (three two-page spreads to go. Maybe tomorrow, but Thursday @ the latest).

Edit: Mangahelpers thread link, please?

Also: I almost put "ORLY?" when the monster gets decapitated. I decided "Oh. Really?" was close enough to ORLY and the actual translation given.

Edited by theorgg, 15 September 2008 - 07:34 AM.

#39 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

Finished my batch. I'm hoping you were referring to chapter 19 for me to edit, Orgg. XD I did a few script changes as well, since some sentences sounded odd in English.

I had fun with the sound effects. Lawl.

http://www.geocities...o87/Kin0219.zip

Edited by KnuxieChan, 15 September 2008 - 11:21 AM.

#40 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:27 AM

Crap. Yahoo doesn't have it up/has been overdownloaded today on that account.

N/M. You have to right click and save as...

EDIT 2: NICE work on the sfx. Some of the dialog didn't make too much sense as written, though. Then again, sometimes dialog doesn't make sense in the straight translation, anyway.

Edited by theorgg, 15 September 2008 - 11:43 AM.

#41 SoldierAtaru

SoldierAtaru

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 691 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

theorgg: http://mangahelpers....ead.php?t=39118 (chp. 15). Maybe to hold off on any shutdowns to your Yahoo server, I suggest using Megaupload next time. It's easy to put stuff up there even without a subscription just as long as you keep track of the link of the file.

Just wondering though: why are you going with Skull Duggery instead of Kinkotsuman? It's a funny name and I know it was used in the Ultimate Muscle dub (though I never watched that far, the last I remember seeing was the first round of the replacement tournament and an episode here or there including one of the Poison Six-Pack and one of Kevin Mask/Ilkiouhine) but I thought we were going to keep it a bit authentic. Just also sort of want to run by if you want to keep any of the other dub names too.

BTW: two more scripts finished:

Chp. 21, where Suguru faces his weirdest enemy from...thrown away lunch. (http://mangahelpers....ead.php?t=39121)
Chp. 23, where it's Terryman vs. "Attack of the 50-Ft. Natsuko"! (and another cameo by Pandaman)(http://mangahelpers....ead.php?t=39125)

Posted Image

#42 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:02 PM

Honestly? Because I'd give 3:1 odds on me getting kinkosuman spelled incorrectly at least once in a story where it's said more than twice. I kept the notes on the page on the name, etc (hard to do-- THAT was a LOT of text!), and 'bone and muscle man' was just what he said to call him, anyway. Reading it, it looks like a snotty joke-- 'call me bone AND muscle man!' haha! (I think a statement afterwards is something to the extent of "How cocky is he?," leading me to believe he ment his name as a joke, too.

As for not using specific Japanese names, I'd also call Iwao "Rocky Slab" because, from what I understand, "Iwao" means "Rock." pretty damned close, at least. And Mindpuzzler instead of Chineawoman. (keeps scrolling through wikipedia character page, now butchered by wikinazis and people who don't know the series.) Tea Pac doesn't need the 'man.' Hyorohyoroman could be Woodman... or whatever his name means. Manriki to Manriki Vice (Manriki means 'Vice,' and Manriki Vice sounds a bit humorous, almost like 'Miami Vice'.)... and whatever "Buki Boy" translates into. (though I do like the sound of Buki Boy, I'm sure it's not a reference to Booji Boy). Mainly anything that doesn't give the imagery that the Japanese names give the characters. Make sense?

Also, I put Terryman calling Kinnikuman "Muscle Man," and after the frog story (Knuxie's edit), I'll occasionally have 'em say "Kin." Why? He's a lazy American. Like me. And that's what I'd be calling some guy named "Kinnikuman."

#43 SoldierAtaru

SoldierAtaru

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 691 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

Also, I put Terryman calling Kinnikuman "Muscle Man," and after the frog story (Knuxie's edit), I'll occasionally have 'em say "Kin." Why? He's a lazy American. Like me. And that's what I'd be calling some guy named "Kinnikuman."

I remember looking at the Japanese and Terry only really called Suguru "Muscle Man" when he first met him. At least he knew Kinniku was Muscle in Japanese.

I do find it weird though that the skull guy is "Kinkotsuman" which involves muscle and bone...but his body is just bones and black. I think calling him Skull Duggery works...but somehow I rather just call Iwao "Rocky" if you wanted to keep the context instead of doing the whole name they gave him in the dub. (BTW: I looked over the raw and I sort of wish I got to do the Rocky II parody chapter after Giant Natsuko...I mean, with all the parodies out there of the original Rocky, this is the first one I've ever seen attempt the sequel complete with Apollo Creed and Mick standins...then again I never saw any of the Rocky movies)

BTW: speaking of name changes, with the approach towards the 20th Choujin Olympics, there really aren't too many changed names between this and the dub. Only two I've noticed are Canadianman (named Manitoban which makes sense since he is from Winnepeg...but he's so pathetic I rather just call him Canadianman) and Kani Base (dub name: Buster Crab...which actually is a good pun since he was a notable swimmer in the US) but we'll see when we get there. Of course the two that really matter, Robin Mask and Ramenman, stay as is. (well there's also Brockenman...but he really doesn't matter compared to Jr.)

Edited by SoldierAtaru, 15 September 2008 - 03:31 PM.

Posted Image

#44 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:30 PM

I'm a little against using the dub names as well, since.. Beetlebomb? Sosumi? DX;; I hope we're not using those. But if we're only using a few, that's fine.

#45 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:53 AM

Mister Slab doesn't mind if his friends call him "Rocky." :lol:

That said, heeeeee's SKULLDUGGERY!

And for Stranger/Soldier
http://www.geocities...ang/Kin0218.zip

S/S Ataru, do you mind uploading these to Megaupload?

Attached Files

Edited by theorgg, 16 September 2008 - 04:54 AM.

#46 SoldierAtaru

SoldierAtaru

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:01 AM

I'm a little against using the dub names as well, since.. Beetlebomb? Sosumi? DX;; I hope we're not using those. But if we're only using a few, that's fine.

I think the first rule I used when I started this project was "we're not using Beatlebomb!" I know the Golden Mask arc still has a while to go but that is perhaps one of the worst dub names ever and it's not going to be part of this project. Probably I rather just stick with the original names but if the dub name works (like Skull Duggery, Rocky Slab or...perhaps Buster Crab for Kani Base when I start the 20th Choujin Olympics soon) and we tell people from day one their real Japanese name, then it is something we can work around.

Though I told theorgg this and I think it should be in this thread too: currently this series is more a side project while I'm in the midst of a lull with my main translating project for the moment, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. Once Bo-bobo work picks up again, this will be a side project for a while...I'll still try to translate but it will come much slower than it has been. (especially if I'm in the middle of an arc...with the first Choujin Olympics coming up in my fill-ins, I really want to get all that done so there's no gap prior to TW's work on Suguru/Robin Mask) But once that's done, then I'll try to go full speed again with this project.

Posted Image

#47 SoldierAtaru

SoldierAtaru

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:18 PM

Hope I am not double posting but the final three chapters of the Kaijuu arc of the series (well the first one) are finally complete!

First up, chp. 25, where Suguru's party invite may be leading him into a showdown with many familiar (and strange) faces: http://mangahelpers....ead.php?t=39173

And after that is a double shot: chp. 26-27, also known as the Roots Island story! Watch as Suguru, Terryman and Meat head to take on a legendary kaijuu terrorizing cute (and slightly bizarre) natives: http://mangahelpers....ead.php?t=39187

Next time: on to the Choujin Olympics!

Posted Image

#48 SoldierAtaru

SoldierAtaru

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:19 PM

Ick, double post...so what to say...um...

KINKOTSUMAN ROCKS! (Runs away)

Edited by SoldierAtaru, 16 September 2008 - 12:20 PM.

Posted Image

#49 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:26 AM

*snip*

Alright. Just making sure. XD and as for translating the stuff slower since it's a side project is fine.

Oh, Orgg, as for "Buki", it means "weapons."

#50 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:50 AM

This is my absolute favorite part of the Skullduggery introduction.

I know the translation didn't specify "Wtff" as SFX, but I thought it'd work well, anyway.

EDIT: So "Buki Boy" is "Weapon Boy?"

Attached Files

Edited by theorgg, 17 September 2008 - 04:51 AM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com