• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, Fake Battle Beasts, Custom Battle beasts.
    BATTLE BEASTS ROCK AND SO DO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

Hey guys so i remember a while ago on here i saw a thread about a Grin Reefer with a half painted smile i remember then thinking how cool this was and how a mistake like that could happen in the factory.

Well i bought a lot of Laser Beasts the other day and they wernt in the best condition however i couldnt send them back when i saw this guy in there.

He has a half Painted Beak one side is orange the other side red. I would say 60% orange and 40% red.

Has anybody seen this guy kicking around Befor?

I have decided to name him thats if he hasnt allready been named.

His name is One Coloured Beek just isnt enough!!

Thansk guys and feel free to add your version of a mistake like this. I will be adding him to my Varients collection so he has a nice home to live. Jay

Attached Files

Edited by retroactive80z, 20 April 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#2 Onyxiaphil

Onyxiaphil

Starcaller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Transformers
    Battle Beasts
    Armorvors
    Nintendo
    Everything custom
    Poutine & Bacon

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Oh. When I read the title, I tought you were talking about me. Shenanigans. >-<

Seriously though, how can you tell a factory error from someone just painting one side of the beak?

I have some BB doubles with everything the exact same except the eyes are a different color or the vents on the armor are a different color. Are those considered factory error variants?

Edited by Onyxiaphil, 20 April 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#3 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, Fake Battle Beasts, Custom Battle beasts.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

There considered varients. For example. The walrus varient has green eyes. The squirrel has yellow instead of red vents. Things like that are varients. As they were done on purpose. Black mole instead of purple orange gorilla instead of red blue jag instead of red. However this guy was a mistake somehow they didn't paint half of his beek or maybe a worker did it for a joke.

#4 sherrie

sherrie

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts
  • Interests:toys, computers, games, reading

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Oh. When I read the title, I tought you were talking about me. Shenanigans. >-<

Seriously though, how can you tell a factory error from someone just painting one side of the beak?

I have some BB doubles with everything the exact same except the eyes are a different color or the vents on the armor are a different color. Are those considered factory error variants?

Go here and you will find all the info you need regarding variants etc...
http://www.beastform...m/checklist.cfm

Selling on Ebay as Kinnikumart

Check out my Ebay Auctions
HERE

My Store is now Closed!
Selling on Ebay and here on the Forum too!. Pm me or email me.

#5 Onyxiaphil

Onyxiaphil

Starcaller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
    Battle Beasts
    Armorvors
    Nintendo
    Everything custom
    Poutine & Bacon

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Go here and you will find all the info you need regarding variants etc...
http://www.beastform...m/checklist.cfm

Yeah I know about that site. Thanks though.

Take these rabbits for exemple, on that website it says one is shorter than the other one.
Well these are the exact same size but different shades of skin/armor and eyes/chest vents color.
Is this a factory error? Is it still a variant?

And these aren't just the only ones with different tones or colors I have that are not mentioned anywhere on the net. It's so confusing :confused:

Posted Image

#6 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hey man check the ears out is one smaller then the other beast?

#7 Onyxiaphil

Onyxiaphil

Starcaller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
    Battle Beasts
    Armorvors
    Nintendo
    Everything custom
    Poutine & Bacon

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Barely.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Onyxiaphil, 20 April 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#8 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Humm as we just discovered on here yesterday I belive there is a varient to the rabbit where there seems to be 2 one with a round tail not flattened off. Then the second is the one that's a shade darker in colour and has smaller ears. Sometimes there a shade different from sun or condition others from where they were made in the factory. When it comes to varients I belive if it looks different and you like it then stick it in your varient pile. Hower I'm not sure I would put him in my pile. So cool uncommon varients to look for are pink skinned crab, black face gorilla, which I still need. Unprinted sideburns on the porcupine. Dark purple carp, there pritty cool it just depends how far you want to go with it.

#9 KillerKevster

KillerKevster

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Battle Beasts and Starriors. Raising my two wonderful daughters

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Yeah I know about that site. Thanks though.

Take these rabbits for exemple, on that website it says one is shorter than the other one.
Well these are the exact same size but different shades of skin/armor and eyes/chest vents color.
Is this a factory error? Is it still a variant?

And these aren't just the only ones with different tones or colors I have that are not mentioned anywhere on the net. It's so confusing :confused:

Posted Image

I have that same rabbit variant, plus a Triple Threat Snake that is similar. Its like a different color plastic was used. I consider them variants, but I'm not sure if they fit the definition. There has been a lot of talk about variants vs factory errors here lately.
"Above all shadows rides the sun and stars forever dwell. I will not say the day is done nor bid the stars farewell."

#10 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1853 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Variants vs. Factory mistake/errors has and always will be something to discuss about as there are just not enough explicit facts known about these little fellows. A lot is guessing and although with some 'variants' we've found out that they only came with a boxed vehicle set even these are things we're just not 100% certain about.

So it is and always will be an issue.

But what we can do is to make a clear definition of what's a Variant (done by purpose) or a factory mistake (missing paint (teeth) or wrong color used) and the factory error (forgotten parts). To me this would look like the right definition for them;

VARIANT: A figure produced and released on purpose and specially designed by Takara\Hasbro in '86/'87. These have explicit color differences compared to the original figures and have clearly been designed to be a variant figure.

Known Variants (V); Blue Jaguar, Black Mole, Orange Gorilla.

FACTORY MISTAKE: A figure produced and released 'by accident' by Takara/Hasrbo in '86/'87. Most of these figures are told to have been in a vehicle set. These mistakes include all wrong sized (Rabbit as example), wrong material being used, missing paint figures or figures with the 'wrong colors' being used including all shade differences and of which more figures are known to exist.

Known Factory Mistakes (FM); Walrus & Mouse with unpainted teeth, Yellow vents Squirrel, Orange Plastic Tortoise, Pink Weasel & Crab, small eared & round tail Rabbit, and all armor or detailled shade differences (Deer, Carp, Bison, Porucpince, etc.....), Rainbow Samu missing white eye, Slag King Battle Savanna.

FACTORY ERROR: A figure of which there's a strong reason to assume it has been created and released by Takara/Hasbro in '86/'87. But within these mistakes I'd say its impossible to be 100% sure about their origin since they could be customs (wether or not done within the Factory walls of Takara/Hasbro). From these figures only one is known to exist which makes them extremely rare. The diference between the factory error and the mistake is the fact that the 'mistake line' has run and produced figures over a longer period while the errors (so far) have only occured once.

Known Factory Errors (FE); Half painted Grin Reefer, Half painted beak Rainbow Samu (?) Black face gorilla (more known?), unpainted legs Dragon Seahorn (?).

Than we've a remaining issue which is the fact that also Shoeless figs figures are know mostly amongst the Lasers (Kickback, Grotess). I wouldn't place these within the Factory error range since they've clearly been used within the photo sessions used to promote the BB & LB during their release and commercial campains in ('85?)'86. So when it comes to these figs (also one known to exist?) I'd say they are FINAL PROTOTYPES(FP) due to the fact that they were probably (based on the released pics) supossed to be launched as shoeless figs BUT of which this idea in the production line (due to extra detailled work) has been excluded. I could imagine that for each figure a cerain timespan was set to be produced existing out of the large armor paint part + the specific colored details. Maybe painting those feet just didn't fit within that timespan and the idea got cancelled, this for me would be the only acceptable and most reasonable option. Knowing they are way cool and have been pictured with the idea the be released and launched that way but never actually have been produced in large (only 1?) numbers.

So for me there is a clear difference in the definition of Variants (V), Factory Mistakes (FM), Factory Errors (FE) and Final Prototypes (FP) figures. Its up to anyone to decide for his- or herself but I think the definitions above are quite reasonable and acceptable to be used as such.

On the Rabbit; In my other reply within the Short eared Rabbit topic of BigSerow I've told that I've a few of these more Greenish looking Rabbits but that doesn't mean that all of them are the small eared figs. As mentioned it are only a few specific figs amongst them that clearly have smaller ears and than it also makes a big difference which normal 'long eared' Rabbit you put beside it.

Edited by GJNL, 20 April 2012 - 11:37 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#11 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

Variants vs. Factory mistake/errors has and always will be something to discuss about as there are just not enough explicit facts known about these little fellows. A lot is guessing and although with some 'variants' we've found out that they only came with a boxed vehicle set even these are things we're just not 100% certain about.

So it is and always will be an issue.

But what we can do is to make a clear definition of what's a Variant (done by purpose) or a factory mistake (missing paint (teeth) or wrong color used) and the factory error (forgotten parts). To me this would look like the right definition for them;

VARIANT: A figure produced and released on purpose and specially designed by Takara\Hasbro in '86/'87. These have explicit color differences compared to the original figures and have clearly been designed to be a variant figure.

Known Variants (V); Blue Jaguar, Black Mole, Orange Gorilla.

FACTORY MISTAKE: A figure produced and released 'by accident' by Takara/Hasrbo in '86/'87. Most of these figures are told to have been in a vehicle set. These mistakes include all wrong sized (Rabbit as example), wrong material being used, missing paint figures or figures with the 'wrong colors' being used including all shade differences and of which more figures are known to exist.

Known Factory Mistakes (FM); Walrus & Mouse with unpainted teeth, Yellow vents Squirrel, Orange Plastic Tortoise, Pink Weasel & Crab, small eared & round tail Rabbit, and all armor or detailled shade differences (Deer, Carp, Bison, Porucpince, etc.....), Rainbow Samu missing white eye, Slag King Battle Savanna.

FACTORY ERROR: A figure of which there's a strong reason to assume it has been created and released by Takara/Hasbro in '86/'87. But within these mistakes I'd say its impossible to be 100% sure about their origin since they could be customs (wether or not done within the Factory walls of Takara/Hasbro). From these figures only one is known to exist which makes them extremely rare. The diference between the factory error and the mistake is the fact that the 'mistake line' has run and produced figures over a longer period while the errors (so far) have only occured once.

Known Factory Errors (FE); Half painted Grin Reefer, Half painted beak Rainbow Samu (?) Black face gorilla (more known?), unpainted legs Dragon Seahorn (?).

Than we've a remaining issue which is the fact that also Shoeless figs figures are know mostly amongst the Lasers (Kickback, Grotess). I wouldn't place these within the Factory error range since they've clearly been used within the photo sessions used to promote the BB & LB during their release and commercial campains in ('85?)'86. So when it comes to these figs (also one known to exist?) I'd say they are FINAL PROTOTYPES(FP) due to the fact that they were probably (based on the released pics) supossed to be launched as shoeless figs BUT of which this idea in the production line (due to extra detailled work) has been excluded. I could imagine that for each figure a cerain timespan was set to be produced existing out of the large armor paint part + the specific colored details. Maybe painting those feet just didn't fit within that timespan and the idea got cancelled, this for me would be the only acceptable and most reasonable option. Knowing they are way cool and have been pictured with the idea the be released and launched that way but never actually have been produced in large (only 1?) numbers.

So for me there is a clear difference in the definition of Variants (V), Factory Mistakes (FM), Factory Errors (FE) and Final Prototypes (FP) figures. Its up to anyone to decide for his- or herself but I think the definitions above are quite reasonable and acceptable to be used as such.

On the Rabbit; In my other reply within the Short eared Rabbit topic of BigSerow I've told that I've a few of these more Greenish looking Rabbits but that doesn't mean that all of them are the small eared figs. As mentioned it are only a few specific figs amongst them that clearly have smaller ears and than it also makes a big difference which normal 'long eared' Rabbit you put beside it.

Walrus & Mouse with unpainted teeth, Yellow vents Squirrel
Are all series 2 variants that came during the same time the changes were made to Blue Jaguar, Black Mole
Why would they not be in the same class ?

The Orange Gorilla and Orange Turtle are the exact same type of variant also but you have them on separate lists ?
Both have a version using black rubber and a version molded out of orange rubber.

#12 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

Walrus & Mouse with unpainted teeth, Yellow vents Squirrel
Are all series 2 variants that came during the same time the changes were made to Blue Jaguar, Black Mole
Why would they not be in the same class ?

The Orange Gorilla and Orange Turtle are the exact same type of variant also but you have them on separate lists ?
Both have a version using black rubber and a version molded out of orange rubber.

These are the issues and the doubts that occur due to the fact we simply don't have explicit facts from what Takara/Hasbro ment with certain figs.

To me it doesn't look to obvious to place the Unpainted teeth and Yellow vents ones under the Variants since the Orange Gorilla, Blue Jag and Black Mole are clearly designed to be different with complete different colors. I'd say a wrong color in the detail (yellow vents) and unpainted teeth are issues that could occur during the painting process and are in my eyes on a totally different level than the 3 ones mentioned as variants. Based on that I'd say they are Factory Mistakes.

The Tortoise is a point of discussion but why would they gave him the same color sheme using another material, again it would make more sense to me if he's supposed to be a variant that he would have another color than its original.

Maybe its all a bit to complicated with these names but I just would like to see we get a certain order instead of saying for every fig that has a line or little detail different that its a variant. For me variants are figs a BB collector 'should' have while its not fair to give people the idea everyone is able to pick up a Black face gorilla or that half painted Reefer if we name them as Variants it might look like they're within the same rare/uncommon rate as the Blue Jag and so on while we all know that's not the case.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#13 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

These are the issues and the doubts that occur due to the fact we simply don't have explicit facts from what Takara/Hasbro ment with certain figs.

To me it doesn't look to obvious to place the Unpainted teeth and Yellow vents ones under the Variants since the Orange Gorilla, Blue Jag and Black Mole are clearly designed to be different with complete different colors. I'd say a wrong color in the detail (yellow vents) and unpainted teeth are issues that could occur during the painting process and are in my eyes on a totally different level than the 3 ones mentioned as variants. Based on that I'd say they are Factory Mistakes.

The Tortoise is a point of discussion but why would they gave him the same color sheme using another material, again it would make more sense to me if he's supposed to be a variant that he would have another color than its original.

Maybe its all a bit to complicated with these names but I just would like to see we get a certain order instead of saying for every fig that has a line or little detail different that its a variant. For me variants are figs a BB collector 'should' have while its not fair to give people the idea everyone is able to pick up a Black face gorilla or that half painted Reefer if we name them as Variants it might look like they're within the same rare/uncommon rate as the Blue Jag and so on while we all know that's not the case.

They were not designed to be variants. I know there is multiple threads somewhere where we discussed this exact topic.

They were running changes made to certain series 2 figures after production had already been started.

It happened allot in the vintage TMNT line.

Attached Files

#14 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

They were not designed to be variants. I know there is multiple threads somewhere where we discussed this exact topic.

They were running changes made to certain series 2 figures after production had already been started.

It happened allot in the vintage TMNT line.

Clear!

But what about the others on those pics; Orange Mole, Brown Pangolin, Red Aardvark, Masked Skunk, Green Tapir???
They were in there as well but none did actually ever see these real figs right or does anyone know were these 'prototypes' are beside the ones JPac customised himself (srry these don't count Jonny :)).

There are still some ?????

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#15 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Not that I know off. But they look cool. First time I've seen them

#16 Glock

Glock

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

Question on this topic.
I have Octillion Octopus 36A and 36B.
There are apparently 3 versions of Zealot Zebra on the bottom of his foot I have 69A and 69C
I have 40b Antic Anteater
How do these fall in place? Just wondering since I didn't see them on the master list.

#17 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

I'm agreeing with GJNL 100% on this. This is why I don't collect every variant, simply because I don't think they were all intentional, and the ones that seem to be, are the ones with completely different colors as oppose to the few that have minor changes that could simply be a factory mistake.
What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#18 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

Question on this topic.
There are apparently 3 versions of Zealot Zebra on the bottom of his foot I have 69A and 69C
How do these fall in place? Just wondering since I didn't see them on the master list.

This has nothing to do with versions or at least not in such a way that A is different from B as C is different from B etc.
As far as I know these Letter represent the production runs being made, so far I've seen A, B, C 'versions' from all the 3 series can't remember having seen a D or up :)

I've seen your wantlist in the Need toys section in which your asking for all the other 'verions' which means you are after 3 complete sets a full 76 A set a full 76 B set and a full 76 C set!? Don't really see the value of that but you might have a good reason for it to find them, would like to hear your thoughts about it.

Most collectors are already happy whent they even manage to complete one full set :)

Edited by GJNL, 25 June 2012 - 02:10 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#19 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

The A,B,C are from the production mold.
I don't find it particularly interesting to collect the same Beast with different mold letters.

If you want to collect more then one set of 76 I recommend collecting one set with original rub symbols and one set of 76 with full color rub symbols.

You will be surprised at the color variations you will find.
As the color rubs were produced later in the line.

#20 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

Good idea but not all figures were made available with both symbols. Years ago I started to collect duplicates to be able to display every waves from each countries (japanese wave 1 - japanese wave 2 etc USA wave 1 - USA wave 2 etc). Maybe I will continue this quest later.

#21 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Good idea but not all figures were made available with both symbols. Years ago I started to collect duplicates to be able to display every waves from each countries (japanese wave 1 - japanese wave 2 etc USA wave 1 - USA wave 2 etc). Maybe I will continue this quest later.

What Beasts were you unable to find both symbols ?
I have/had Beasts from all three series with both symbols including the USA Camel & Mouse.

Series 1 & 2 are more difficult to find with full color.
With series 3 being easier to full color with the originals mostly from Japan.

#22 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

I don't have the exact list. As the full color symbols were not available the same way all around the world there are some harder to find and I'm nearly sure some others figures never made available with the full color symbol.

In France only series 2 were available in full color. They were not available with the first symbol.
In UK and USA series 2 and series 3 were available with both styles.
In Japan only the last wave included full colors symbol as chase symbol. So if you have time to check which series 1 figures were not available in last japanese wave then you will have the list of figures that never had full color symbol.

#23 dabbuu

dabbuu

Serious Collector

• 573 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Question on this topic.

There are minimally 3 versions of everybody A-C
Posted Image

#24 WarOnTheShore

WarOnTheShore

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

I have a moose with an unpainted shoulder.

#25 Glock

Glock

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

I am going to revise my list. I appreciate the info. So abc are the runs and 1,2 ect are the variants correct?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com