#1 wizard

wizard

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Action figures

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

This is kinda random, but I was just wondering if anyone else has ever felt bad/guilty about spending money on toys especially when you see people around you in the community like battling to make a living... like street vendors, street performers and poor people on the news going without food and stuff.

On the flipside you also see people in the community driving bmw's, mercedes, audis etc and you know that what they spent on their car is worth way more than your toy collection.

It helps to think as well that the income tax we pay goes towards the unemployed and poor people in the community.
Collecting: MIMP, OMFG, FOP, DC direct, LEGO

#2 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

I can sort of see what you're getting at buddy. From my point of view, I have a good job and I work hard so don't feel bad about what I spend my money on. As long as my wife is happy and all of our bills are paid then we're both fine with me spending some of my excess on what I enjoy - LRG's :) I'm sure that if I smoked or gambled I'd waste a lot more money on that than what I do spend on toys (smokers don't get on my back over that one :thumbsup: )

#3 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

I know what you mean. Working in downtown Chicago I see tons of homeless people every day, and I just think how lucky I feel (if not guilty) to be able to spend money on toys. But I guess we all need to invest in things that make us happy to keep sane!

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#4 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1853 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

I sometimes give away some Battle Beasts to street artist and homeless people to prevent my poor feeling for them :)

Knowing the f#cking amount of taxes I've been paying to get these figs into the EU I don't blaim myself anything as all that money will go to the government directly and its not my problem they waste it instead of using it efficiently for the society, I believe every Euro that gets payed here at the moment gets flipped twice and is send to the South of Europe........ and I don't even get GBB in return which I still can't understand.

You can better spend your money on toys building a decent collection which is still worth a few $$ in case you ever might decide or have to sell it somehow than spending/wasting it on smoking, to much alcohol and gambling. So beside my Battle Beasts addiction I think I'm quite a healthy guy.

As long as I've fun with collecting and I can afford it without getting myself and the people I love into problems its ok with me.
And if I ever decide I'd like to ride an Audi I just sell my collection LOL

Eh can I still change the Audi just saw the new Peugeot Onyx
Posted Image

But even than I'd still be willing to hand out some Battle Beasts to street artist ;)

Guess I've to get back to work again

Edited by GJNL, 30 September 2012 - 12:31 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#5 waaaaghlord

waaaaghlord

C.UT.I.E. Owners Club Founder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

Isn't that like asking if I feel guilty that I've got a half way decent job and the other guy hasn't? Not in the slightest. I've got where I am through a combination of determination, graft and luck and I'm in a position where I've got a limited amount of disposable income. It's ultimately not my responsibility when somebody else has had less of those three factors going for them. I do feel guilty about the carbon footprint that a luxury like toy collecting generates though. Toys are an unneeded item by any standard so the resources that go into their production, transport from the Asian producing countries to the Western markets and the secondary transport as we get them shipped from stores or to each other all adds up to environmental damage that we're all causing. I justify it personally since I don't drive which helps to lessen that impact, but ultimately I can only take personal responsibility for myself, and in the fullness of time any dependants, not for the entire society around me.

Edited by waaaaghlord, 30 September 2012 - 12:38 PM.

soundwave wrote "don't insult my bananna!!!!!!!!!"

#6 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

No i did feel bad for spending a few bucks on toys but yeah i do feel bad when i see people and animals suffering like that. Life can be cruel and unfair on so many levels. I have a couple homeless friends i have lunch with every few days in the park and they are both incredible people. Life just took a bad turn for them. That's a long story though.

What i do myself to help give back is help organize and volunteer and run(if need be)a food bank every other week. Basically it's like a grocery store set up in a big building where people in need can come "shop" for food. Everything is free and there is a strict line so no one gets pushed or rushed or anything like that. It's all legal so there are forms everyone has to fill out to even get in line. The cool part is lots of really fancy places donate so it's not just basic food. Lots of exotic fruits and vegetables and often steaks and cuts of meat i don't even spend enough at a real store to buy myself. The shit part is that 90% of the people who come there are the working class hungry. Often both parents with more than one job each who still don't make enough to pay both food and rent in the same week. The economy is not kind these days.

In the end it does make me feel a little better which is pretty stupid and hypocritical on my part considering i should not be the one that needs to feel better in the first place but i think that's just human nature. It's almost like donating to that childrens fund thing you see on tv just so from then on instead of guilt when you see the commercials you feel good. We are a funny species but even if we are just doing good to make us feel better it probably still helps someone else too.

#7 cmf

cmf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

You shouldn't feel guilty about collecting when it is a productive and constructive hobby that brings you happiness. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I can trade or get a good deal on what I want. Who doesn't like getting figures in the mail? Those are things I enjoy and wouldn't want to give up. Some people play golf, some people work on cars, but you have to have something you enjoy outside of work and family and this is a community of like-minded people.

If you feel guilty about having toys and figures when there are people who are homeless and unemployed, then you would also have to feel guilty about having a home and a job in that respect.

There aren't any problems in the world that won't be solved by you NOT having your collection, so you shouldn't feel guilty.

If you sold everything off and gave every penny to charity, then what? Big deal. A collections worth isn't necessarily determined by a monetary value, but also the time and effort you put into acquiring what you have. You might be able to sell everything and give the money to the poor, but your collection is a part of who you are and you shouldn't have to be without it.

When I see my shelf, I'm reminded of the work it took to put it all together, the trades I made with other members, and how I enjoy having what I have regardless of what I spent. No one will appreciate what I have more than me, so I won't feel guilty about collecting and can't put a price tag on what I have.

Some of us have nice cars and others may ride the bus, but we all get to be equal parts of this community regardless and I wouldn't give that up. I enjoy trading and working with other members regardless of our varying socioeconomic statuses or how deep(or shallow) our pockets are.

I hope everyone can enjoy their collection guilt-free and not feel like gluttonous toy-hoarders. There are worse ways to spend time and money and I don't think anyone will fault you for collecting.

GJNL, I gotta ask, what do the street artists and homeless do with the Battle Beasts you give them?

#8 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

I don't feel bad. I've earned what I have, so why should I feel bad? Now if people are spending beyond their means, then yes, those should feel bad.

#9 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1853 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

GJNL, I gotta ask, what do the street artists and homeless do with the Battle Beasts you give them?

Hmmm I have to admitt I don't give them the figs directly but I sometimes throw a euro in the hat of the street artist sitting in front of the Post Office after I've send out a package with Beasts again and have some change left. Guess that's a little more usefull for them than the actuall beasts.

All the money we spend on our figures is nothing compared to the problems and poorness in the world and I believe most of us aren't really in the position to make big changes in it either, so stop collecting toys or something else just to make that gesture is without meaning.

But maybe my gesture putting some change in the hat of the street artist once in a while is a start of a better world........

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#10 b00sted

b00sted

The b00sted One!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:Mega Bloks
    Battle Beasts
    Battlefield Heroes
    Android Modding

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

I usually feel bad since I live paycheck to paycheck. but find it easier to bear selling one collection to start a new. I work 70+ hrs a week to make sure kid and wife are happy and bills are paid so what is a lil bit of frivolous spending. Also at the same time I give out a lot of stuff I obtain as well just because I am one of them weird people that it is more enjoyment to make other people happy so giving them a random toy means more than keeping it on my shelf.
Posted Image

#11 cmf

cmf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hmmm I have to admitt I don't give them the figs directly but I sometimes throw a euro in the hat of the street artist sitting in front of the Post Office after I've send out a package with Beasts again and have some change left. Guess that's a little more usefull for them than the actuall beasts.

All the money we spend on our figures is nothing compared to the problems and poorness in the world and I believe most of us aren't really in the position to make big changes in it either, so stop collecting toys or something else just to make that gesture is without meaning.

But maybe my gesture putting some change in the hat of the street artist once in a while is a start of a better world........

That makes more sense. I figured if I gave a homeless person a Battle Beast, they would either look at me like "what the f*ck is this!?" or start talking to it.

I'll sell stuff in order to buy different stuff, so I don't feel bad. Circle of life!

#12 cmf

cmf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

I usually feel bad since I live paycheck to paycheck. but find it easier to bear selling one collection to start a new. I work 70+ hrs a week to make sure kid and wife are happy and bills are paid so what is a lil bit of frivolous spending. Also at the same time I give out a lot of stuff I obtain as well just because I am one of them weird people that it is more enjoyment to make other people happy so giving them a random toy means more than keeping it on my shelf.

You definitely deserve to get something for yourself and should never feel bad about enjoying your hard earned money after taking care of your responsibilities. You're a better man than me, my friend!

#13 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

I don't feel guilty about buying toys, you have every right to spend money that you earn on anything legal that makes you happy. But I might feel guilty about the hoarding mentality that may come with collecting in general.
What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#14 TheWatcher

TheWatcher

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

It's all perspective I believe. If you've worked hard and honestly, then you should enjoy the fruits of your labor. I think it's when you loose sight that it's only a hobby centered around toys that one should feel guilty. Appreciate what you have collected because others are worrying about just putting food on the table. Those that go on about how much something is worth, how rare it is, get greedy or start behaving unethically to acquire toys really bother me. Those guys should feel ashamed.

We're all brothers and we're in this together aren't we?

#15 Jeremy0477

Jeremy0477

LRG Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

I've picked up my donating since my toy buying has picked up. As long as that outweighs the LRGs then I don't feel too bad.

#16 Czarcher

Czarcher

Ruling Lands Far And Wide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Ultraman,
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

This is kinda random, but I was just wondering if anyone else has ever felt bad/guilty about spending money on toys especially when you see people around you in the community like battling to make a living... like street vendors, street performers and poor people on the news going without food and stuff.

On the flipside you also see people in the community driving bmw's, mercedes, audis etc and you know that what they spent on their car is worth way more than your toy collection.

It helps to think as well that the income tax we pay goes towards the unemployed and poor people in the community.

HA~HA~HA
This thread is hilarious!
Sorry but if you can legitamitley afford it,then WHY FEEL GUILTY? FuK no i dont feel guilty. I work hard for my money,and after I pay my bills and make sure my kids are taken care of,WHY SHOULD'NT I indulge in beer and toys?! :drinks:

#17 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

Guilty? Never. Although I no longer spend money on toys because I don't collect.
When I collected I frequently gave away lots of toys every holiday season. It was mostly what had so little value that there was no point in attempting to sell or trade it. But still, it was toys for kids who had none. Things like unopened 1990s Star Wars figures, Planet of the Apes movie toys, and other moc toys. I'd give a big bag every holiday season. Plus, I am sure most of us give time or money to charitable causes every year, even if we don't list those recipients in threads like these. So most people balance out their personal excesses with giving back.

However,...

I think the bigger issue that I have come across is people being unwise with their money. Why do people spend money on toys when they're already living paycheck to paycheck? Why do people pay for their collectibles on paypal with credit cards because they don't have the cash available for their hobbies? Things like that. Toy collecting isn't any different than other vices, but you really see toys as another example of people wanting to live large who just can't afford it. It's really pretty sad. People need to show have a bit of patience and temperance.

Edited by ComradeCuttlefish, 08 October 2012 - 07:18 AM.

#18 Biffard

Biffard

Team Truffle Shuffle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

I think the bigger issue that I have come across is people being unwise with their money. Why do people spend money on toys when they're already living paycheck to paycheck? Why do people pay for their collectibles on paypal with credit cards because they don't have the cash available for their hobbies? Things like that. Toy collecting isn't any different than other vices, but you really see toys as another example of people wanting to live large who just can't afford it. It's really pretty sad. People need to show have a bit of patience and temperance.

This might be a separate topic when compared to what the original poster was talking about but I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

This could be the cause of people feeling guilty about spending money on toys. For me, it wasn't about what I had vs what others had but rather a bad feeling of spending money on items that ended up sitting in a box and being ignored. While I didn't borrow money to pay for items, I did occasionally feel guilty for spending a chunk of money on a toy when I could have done so much more with that money (ie go on a date with my wife, invest, buy something useful that doesn't just sit around on a shelf).

Maybe that has more to due with the guilty feeling some collectors might feel?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com