Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

Sticky....

#3 TanRnet

TanRnet

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, Army Ants, The Real Ghostbusters, and most movies/music/games from the 80s.

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:27 PM

I like how these look.  I think I remember seeing the larger puppets at TRU.  I must find the golden poo!

#4 Acidonia

Acidonia

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:57 PM

So moose is copying Zomblings a line that was just a Trash Pack rip off itself now :lol: .

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:18 PM

Two thoughts. 

Another bullet in the head of Hasbro.  For years I have been saying that they needed to create a boys toy version of Littlest Pet Shop.  Nothing could have been easier.  You make scary/weird/gross versions of LPS pets.  My preference would have been "scary" versions -- take the cute big-eyed LPS and give them big teeth and bloodshot eyes and specific features of classic monsters -- Monster Pet Shop.  Moose is going the "gross" route and Hasbro is SOL.  This is a very specific anagram of LPS.  The size, the style, the amount, and of course the accessories and playsets. 

The amount of playsets and accessories may backfire in this case. Despite the number of playsets and accessories of LPS, the number one thing they having going is their inherent collectibility.  There are a thousand figures in a hundred varieties.  The top seller is the blind-bag series.  The second biggest seller are multi-character packs.  Coming in last are the accessory-heavy packs and playsets with electronic features. 

The "collect them all" gimmick is the gimmick to rule them all.

These Ugglys will succeed if they stick to tons of creative figures and limit all the playsets and accessories.  If buying an electronic doghouse or whatever is required to get each figure, this will backfire. They will have a short shelf life.  IF you can get the majority of the collection without being forced to buy a ton of accessories and playsets, for around $3 each, these will be very very successful. 

The tiny mystery accessories like the "golden poop" is probably a good idea as long as it does not increase the $3 per figure price-point.  I've noticed that Meta-collecting (collecting things that also seem to be collecting things) is a huge toy gimmick -- especially with girls toys.  (Notice that price was not mentioned, and Dan did not ask.) 

Anyway, my second thought was just about how inept the presenter is.  Its like they just pull people off of Craigslist -- here, go talk about this toy.  Dan was both more knowledgeable and more enthusiastic than the person paid to inform and get people excited.  I was just embarrassed for her.  Its no wonder so many toylines fail when the point-person seeing the entry into the market is such a wet blanket.  Yeesh. 

#6 Metalmonkey

Metalmonkey

Ironhaus apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Collecting/making/talking about LRGs.

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:09 PM

Moose are like a kid in a candy store lately. I say, good on 'em for continuing the mini figure legacy and bringing more minis to kids these days.

Edited by Metalmonkey, 19 February 2015 - 06:09 PM.

bannerfans20blog2015.jpgbanner2015_1.jpg

#7 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

I mean, I'll probably try to recreate Rover Red Charlie with some of these, on my desk at work.

#8 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

P2168304.jpg

P2168303.jpg

#9 Juggy

Juggy

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:55 PM

I like the poops!! I'll probably buy these for the turds and toss the rubber muts in the gutter.

#10 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:58 AM

I like the poops!! I'll probably buy these for the turds and toss the rubber muts in the gutter.

If you just want some golden poop, I'll get some spray paint and help you out. :)

#11 seekingxar

seekingxar

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:48 PM

Are these soft like trash pack?

#12 Juggy

Juggy

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

The larger Ugglys are already on clearance at TRU. Smooth move Moose.

#13 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

The larger Ugglys are already on clearance at TRU. Smooth move Moose.

I know, right? Meanwhile Trash Pack are still selling like hotcakes and Moose is discontinuing them in favour of this lame series.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#14 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:48 AM

Trash Pack has already been phased out, here. I honestly don't really miss it, as I feel like they kind of did all they could with it. 

As for these, I'd have to get a couple in hand before judging them against other toy lines.

#15 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:13 AM

I thought Trash Pack still had untapped potential; they just needed to think a little bit outside of its box. Just a little.

Glad it's getting a spiritual successor, though. Actually, I'm generally glad Moose is bringing back the 80's art of ugly-cute parody lines. Trash Pack was already a parody of Squinkies.

The only ones of these I like are the invertebrates. I hope they'll go still farther beyond dogs and cats, maybe do more aquatic pets.

#16 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

I'm a sucker for ugly dogs, haha

I am down for pretty much any of them that aren't squishy material. I prefer firmer/plasticky material.

#17 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:16 PM

The Trash Pack had a small amount of untapped potential. I was really surprised that Moose never tried to scale-up or just take their characters into other areas of merchandising.  Series 1 figures in larger scale, plush, backpacks, t-shirts, etc. Firmly establish the series 1 characters (at least the default mascots and fan favorites) before moving into obscure Series 7 territory. 

They pretty much went from their best series yet (Series 6) to their worst series ever (Series 7).

Series 6 was the most solidly themed -- as in having the most figures relevant to a theme at all.   It had a lot of truly original sculpts.  It was the first to use many harder plastic figures (which I was hoping would continue).  Overall, Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Animals are a safe, kid-friendly theme.  They sold out quickly.

Series 7 was an unfortunate misstep (or coup de grace).  They were no longer turning something that was otherwise cute or neutral into something "gross" (think especially about all the appliances and inanimate objects throughout the series) -- now they were more-or-less celebrating something truly gross and potentially deadly.   Germs are not a safe, kid-friendly theme.  All the test-tubes and beakers. The artwork even featured an unfortunate "mad scientist" theme.  Why is someone manufacturing germs? Dangerous territory for a kids toy.

The worldwide Ebola scare that coincided with Series 7 basically killed off a series that was already dying.   I have never seen a series warm the pegs for so long.

Anyway, I think they could have expanded the Space theme into an interesting series.  Kid-friendly. Safe. A whole series of Aliens and Space Trash. But if you think about it (though inferior in almost every way), the Crashlings did exactly this.

Overall, the Trash Pack had a really, really good run. 

Edited by steverotters, 01 March 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#18 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

As far as this Ugglys Pet Shop -- I want them to do well, but I predict that they will not.  Though, with certain modifications to a Series 2 that arrives quickly after the Series 1 debut, I think they could course-correct and make something lasting.

Make no mistake, this is the boys toy version of the Littlest Pet Shop by Hasbro.  They are not bigger versions of Trash Pack, or anything else.

Littlest Pet Shop was a toyline that ran for a couple years in the early 90s.  Then, Hasbro reintroduced the line in 2005, and it has been running strong ever since.  In the past 10 years they have made nearly 4,000 unique figures.  TEN YEARS solid.  I think they must be doing something right. 

On the other hand, in these past 10 years, why has Hasbro never released a boys toy version of the Littlest Pet Shop?  I've come to believe that the decision makers at Hasbro are pretty much boys toy idiots who coast by on the strength of Transformers, GI Joe, and Marvel, and who don't really care to innovate or experiment with new lines.  They pull lines quickly if they don't seem to be bringing in the expected revenue.  In ten years, I highly suspect that they have at least *considered* a boys toy line similar to LPS, and they deemed it nonviable for whatever reason. 

So, respect to Moose for going for it.  This is why I hope they succeed -- Hasbro has had the market primed and ready for 10 years, yet did nothing. I believe the market is there.  Ugglys Pet Shop  could succeed with kids, parents, and collectors -- if they mimic the success of the Littlest Pet Shop. 

Expansion in Series 2 will be critical.  LPS has gone into every kind of variant figure.  More importantly, their idea of what constitutes a "pet" is enormously inclusive.  One one hand, they have made spiders, ladybugs, and caterpillars.  On the other hand, they have made giraffes, elephants, and whales.  The funny (?) thing is that a cricket and a walrus will appear in the same series, with the walrus only slightly bigger than the cricket. 

Ugglys Pet Shop will definitely have to follow this trend.  Get away from Cats and Dogs as soon as possible.  Snakes, lizards, frogs, birds, spiders, fish, crabs, are obvious options, but so are lions, tigers, and bears.   Get away from typical (or even realistic) pets NOW.

LPS has even done a series of fairies. I say, getting into mythical pets by Series 3 will also be critical. 

More importantly, they will have to transition from "gross pets" to "mutant pets" very, very soon. The puddle of vomit in front of your sick "pet" will not be sustainable past Series 1 and might even cause the demise of the whole line.  There is a major flaw with the "gross" gimmick -- having sick looking cats, dogs, etc with their poo and puke -- just makes you look like a bad owner.  You're unfit as a caretaker. 

You can say that "kids won't think like this," but I am telling you that aside from a few impulse purchases, this will become a factor.  Looking at the collection is just like looking at a bunch of sick and diseased -- probably abused or abandoned animals -- ready to be put down. Sis has a collection of cute, healthy looking pets and her brother has a collection of sick, gross pets representing the same animals.  In fact, his pets would basically look just as healthy and cute if it wasn't for droopy eyes, vomit and poop.  These are not indicative of unique creatures, they are indicative of an abusive or neglectful caretaker. 

The line will absolutely have to shift from gross/ugly into weird/scary/mutant.   There is some precedence in this area (My Pet Monster and Boglins if nothing else) , which will also give the line a nostalgia factor with parents  Regardless, this is the creative direction that the line needs, and will be required for any future installments. 

The possibilities are vast: Alien Pet Shop, Monster Pet Shop, Mutant Pet Shop, Robot Pets, Cyber Pets, Cosmic Pets -- who knows. 

A "pet" cthulhu is much more interesting than a vomiting dog. 

That's my take.  I say this regardless of the material of which the figures are made, the playsets, or accessories: This line will fold with only one series unless it is drastically expanded from typical "pets" and away from the typical "gross" gimmick. 

Edited by steverotters, 01 March 2015 - 09:32 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com