I Found A PURPLE CLAW

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

Ok, I can't wait.

I've been thinking a lot about the rare color situation. And it has mainly been the result of my success with the 6-degrees of separation theory. I figured if I contacted my friends, and they contacted their friends eventually I'd end up with some guys my age that had MUSCLE figures in their Canadian attics.

I've often said that I don't really consider the "rare" figures to be rare. I believe the figures are simply Canadian. I posted the idea for my theory in this thread, but it still needs work. I feel my finds help lend credence to the theory.

Plus rightusman said he bought some figures at a show in Canada, and he ended up with some "rare" figures. They shouldn't be rare if they turn up every time someone buys figures in Canada.

So the guy I got in contact with had seven figures I needed. He also said he had some figures he painted to make a chess set. This mention, plus a l.designs thread, got me dreaming of a painted purple Claw.

Well, it happened. I scored another Purple Claw.

Unfortunately it is completely painted silver. And get this, it is painted with marine enamel – boat paint. Luckily there are like five other figures painted the same way. These have acted as my test figures. I believe I can rescue the Claw from its silvery grave.

I'll try and post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.

I wanted to save this story as the launch story for my UofMuscle website, but I have no idea when I will be able to really do all that work. I just had to share the story with you guys. I couldn't hold it in any longer.

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:32 AM

HAHAHAHA, that is awesome and sucks rocks, all at the same time! :p

#3 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

:headbang:
EDIT:
errr....

I ment Posted Image

Edited by theorgg, 06 October 2008 - 01:01 PM.

Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#4 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

so what you're saying is, l.designs jinxed you by talking about painted purple claws. damn that l.designs. :p

using your six degrees of kevin..er.. color muscles theory, do you think it's possible for a magenta claw to exist, or are we all still pretty certain that it doesn't?

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#5 righteousman

righteousman

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:19 PM

I agree 100% with Veers that different regions have different coloured muscles. I've actually found some undiscovered colours in my area (traded them away last summer though). Plus new ones I picked up recently. Plus I bought 300 coloured figs from a toy dealer in my area on behalf of one of the members of this board, and there were some nice rare ones in there as well.

One thing I'm not sure of though is if the purple claw is that common in Canada. Over the past few years a few 1000 coloured figures have passed through my collection, mostly from Canada, and I've never seen a purple claw before. This makes me wonder if it's also region specific -- IE Vancouver vs Ontario.

Ok, I can't wait.

I've been thinking a lot about the rare color situation. And it has mainly been the result of my success with the 6-degrees of separation theory. I figured if I contacted my friends, and they contacted their friends eventually I'd end up with some guys my age that had MUSCLE figures in their Canadian attics.

I've often said that I don't really consider the "rare" figures to be rare. I believe the figures are simply Canadian. I posted the idea for my theory in this thread, but it still needs work. I feel my finds help lend credence to the theory.

Plus rightusman said he bought some figures at a show in Canada, and he ended up with some "rare" figures. They shouldn't be rare if they turn up every time someone buys figures in Canada.

So the guy I got in contact with had seven figures I needed. He also said he had some figures he painted to make a chess set. This mention, plus a l.designs thread, got me dreaming of a painted purple Claw.

Well, it happened. I scored another Purple Claw.

Unfortunately it is completely painted silver. And get this, it is painted with marine enamel – boat paint. Luckily there are like five other figures painted the same way. These have acted as my test figures. I believe I can rescue the Claw from its silvery grave.

I'll try and post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.

I wanted to save this story as the launch story for my UofMuscle website, but I have no idea when I will be able to really do all that work. I just had to share the story with you guys. I couldn't hold it in any longer.

#6 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:23 PM

do you think it's possible for a magenta claw to exist, or are we all still pretty certain that it doesn't?

No, it doesn't exist. Soupie and URS broke the code. It's just not there.

And I'll have to do the pictures tomorrow. Sorry.

#7 TOPHER

TOPHER

Chit Happens.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Interests:My Recording Studio, Video Games, Shelby Cobras, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle/Laser/Greek Beasts, MIMP+WIMP, Remco Mini Mashers, Figurines holding any kind of musical instrument, Weird Ball Wrestlers......

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:58 PM

Ay,Chad wanna trade it for my spare #1-Purple ?.
Now ya got somethiong to trade.if yes,leave it the way it is.
'On Sale' or 'For Sale'. It's really the same thing! The word, 'Sale' means YOU CAN BUY IT,
not that it is discounted. We as consumers are conditioned to think"On Sale"means it's cheaper.
Posted Image

#8 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:16 PM

Denatured alcohol Prim used on his M.U.S.C.L.E. Hauler works amazing on a lot of stuff.... if you are having any issue w/ getting the paint off.

Hey I didn't "start" the talk about painted "Purple Claw"

#9 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:27 AM

Denatured alcohol Prim used on his M.U.S.C.L.E. Hauler works amazing on a lot of stuff....

How harsh is that stuff? Because I tried to find information online, and most of the stuff seemed to be pretty harsh. There is a toy solider store in my neighborhood, and I think that was one of the ones they said would probably be too harsh.

So here are the pictures, as usual I was in a hurry to take them - so they aren't great.

The first one is what the figures looked like when they arrived.
Posted Image

This one shows the purple shining through.
Posted Image

Because I'm impatient, and I have a few test subjects, I wanted to try some stuff out. The first was nail polish remover. When I used a cotton ball on the figure it stripped some of the paint right off, but it didn't get in the cracks. I decided to try a 24 hour soak. That wrecked the figure. It ate through the cup, the paint, and started to breakdown the figure. Here are the results.
Posted Image

The next thing I wanted to try was a soak in 409. This actually worked really well. A simple toothbrush took off most of the easy to reach spots, but there was still paint and primer in the cracks. I used a very small screwdriver to scrape in the small cracks. As long as the figure was freshly out of a 409 soak, it worked great. Most importantly the 409 doesn't breakdown the plastic, although it does absorb the 409 odor. As I said, I used a toothbrush on most of the figure. The top left of the figure is where I started using the screwdriver. I spent, maybe 15~20 minutes on the top left of the figure. I think it looks pretty good.
Posted Image

I didn't use a razor blade because it caused too much damage to the figure.

I haven't started the Claw, because I want to set-up my picture spot and document the process for the UofM website.

#10 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:25 AM

Use plastic to hold Acetone. It's actually used to clean up organic chemical spills due to it's odd qualities.

Edited by theorgg, 07 October 2008 - 08:30 AM.

Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

#11 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

Since there's not that many crevices on the Claw, sticking to the 409 soak doesn't sound like a bad idea, if you're impatient. Otherwise, I'm interested to hear what else you try to solve this problem.

#12 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

Denatured alcohol is about as harsh on plastics and what not as rubbing alcohol, and doesn't react with materials as would acetone. You could test some with Q-tips rubbing, once it loosens the paint I would suggest dipping a tooth brush in and scrubbing away!
You could let the figure sit in a cup of it if it is working, then scrub away with the tooth brush if you want, might make it work faster.

#13 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

You could swallow it. Your digestive track would take care of the paint and leave the M.U.S.C.L.E. intact. It would hurt coming out though, especially "head first". :lol:

#14 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

Would boiling work maybe?

Posted Image

#15 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

mineral spirits eats somes paints & some other things but won't eat plastic like acetone. Also good for getting sticker residue off things, even finished wood.
Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

#16 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order, these are the things I collect;
    Monster in my Pocket (Both original the modern)
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:38 AM

Cant believe I didn't think of it earlier - eucalyptus oil. don't know if they sell it outside of AU, but that stuff works wonders on practically anything - I use it to get gunk off videogame cases, sticky stuff, marker pen, whiteout - it leaves the plastic intact, and the smell goes away pretty quickly.
I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

#17 Starman

Starman

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:50 AM

I found this, where a household oven cleaner has been used. Not sure if it's of any help to you.

Procedure

In this example we'll use a couple of old soft-plastic polythene figures. They're all in good condition, but have been painted with thick blobs of enamel paint.

A word of warning - oven cleaner is caustic and may cause burns to the skin or eyes or respiratory problems if not used correctly. I would stress that it be used with caution. Minors should never use these products themselves, they should ask a responsible adult to do it for them.

Start by laying out the plastic bag on a flat surface and place the model or figures onto the bag.
Put on your gloves. Make sure you use plastic gloves to protect your hands as oven cleaner can burn the skin. Don't use latex gloves as the oven cleaner may dissolve the latex.

Hold the oven cleaner spray in one hand, and spray the model liberally. With the other hand you can turn over the model while holding it over the plastic bag so as to get into every nook and cranny.

Close the plastic bag with the model inside and tie a knot, place into the plastic bucket and leave overnight. The plastic bucket is so that if any oven cleaner leaks out it will not stain the floor.

Rinse any over cleaner off your gloves and put them away and leave over cleaner to work overnight.

24hrs later, get out your plastic gloves again and take the bucket to somewhere you have access to a cold water tap and a sink.

Put on your gloves, take the model out the plastic bag - you'll find a huge gooey mess, but don't despair). Throw the plastic bag away and put the model into the sink.

Turn on the cold water and you'll find the paint will fall off as you rinse it. Now with the toothbrush and with a little detergent you can remove any stubborn remnants of paint stuck in little nooks and crannies.

Give them a final rinse and leave to dry. Rise your gloves and don't forget to clean out the bucket or container.

Once dry that's it, finished. Shiny "new" figures!

#18 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:17 AM

I think the monkey wrench is that the paint is marine enamel (boat paint). So it is pretty resistant to the liquids.

I'm worried the denatured alcohol would be about as harsh as the nail polish remover. In small doses it worked ok, but it didn't allow me to get into the cracks or break up the detailed spots.

I thought about boiling, but the issue there is wrecking a pot and time. I feel like it would need constant monitoring because I don't know how the paint would react.

I think mineral spirits and eucalyptus oil would be more like Goo-Gone – which I know won't work.

I also saw the oven cleaner option. I think that will be too harsh. MUSCLE's are just so absorbent. Those army men aren't as easy to simply write on, they seem...sturdier?

I have a few test figures, so I could try a couple things until the main event.

#19 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:25 AM

This must be documented.

My idea from a year ago is partially coming to frutition! What Will Melt MUSCLE? Apparently Acetone will. What else? Anyone have any Hydrochloric Acid? How about Carbonic Acid (carbonated water)?

Now if we could only get someone to start What Will Keshi Melt?...

#20 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:03 AM

If you are really desperate you could test stuff on battle beasts. I am not sure they are exactly as absorbant as MUSCLES, but they are rubbery figures with paint already on them and I know that they stain really easily with markers and such. Only down side is that they arent painted with "boat paint" as you have already said. Kinda pointless to pain up BB with boat paint as test subjects when you could just as easily paint up a few MUSCLES and it would be exactly the same plastics. Good luck cleaning it off! :D
Posted Image
---------------------------------------------------- アンドル ------------------------------------------------------------
______What I have for sale_______Beasts I still need_______Cards I still need_______My Collection______

#21 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

Only down side is that they arent painted with "boat paint"

Yeah, it sucks. I even looked into marine enamel remover, but it's expensive and sounds like pretty serious stuff.

#22 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

Cant believe I didn't think of it earlier - eucalyptus oil. don't know if they sell it outside of AU, but that stuff works wonders on practically anything - I use it to get gunk off videogame cases, sticky stuff, marker pen, whiteout - it leaves the plastic intact, and the smell goes away pretty quickly.

Don't do it, you'll never get rid of the koalas Posted Image :o

Edited by gilgar, 09 October 2008 - 06:23 PM.

Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

#23 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:00 PM

I have some experience with marine coatings...and they're resilient SOBs! Especially when they've been undercoated with epoxy-primer. The usual method for removing paint on shipboard is the needle-gun, but that would destroy the poor purple 153, so I don't suggest it. <_<

I've had good luck using non-fuming Easy-Off to remove paint from polystyrene, which is harder and a lot less absorbant than M.U.S.C.L.E. material. I might give that a try on the 37 or the 22 just to see the effects of it. 409 works well for removing a lot of unwated coatings, but it takes time and elbow-grease.

Good luck!

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#24 Jamesullivan

Jamesullivan

M.U.S.C.L.E. Champion 123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Self personal training, sports, RPGs, dogs, and lots of hot tea(black plain with no milk or sugar..though someimes I use a cinnamin or rock candy stick).

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

Attached File  The_Ringa__2_.jpg   59.17K   20 downloads

Edited by Jamesullivan, 16 October 2008 - 08:04 PM.

Fight for M.U.S.C.L.E.
On second thought, just watch.... M.U.S.C.L.E. Wrestling Videos

#25 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:47 PM

Well, the stakes have been raised. Turns out I will need this figure as my actual Purple Claw and not an extra. :)

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com