Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

POLL: FAC 14: Halloween Special!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Poll: POLL: FAC 14: Halloween Special! (25 member(s) have cast votes)

FAC 14: Halloween Special

1. 1. MIMP Gargoyle Costume, by Airot (9 votes [36.00%])

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

2. 2. Weirdball and Battle Beast Masks, by Reccoom Kaboom (4 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

3. 3. Trick or Meat, by Scumdogg (5 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. 4. Headless Tortle, by Tortle (5 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. 5. Skull Grotess, by Wrath1104 (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

Vote

#1 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

Another month, another batch of cool art from my friends at LRG! It's voting time again!

Once again, much appreciation goes out to all the participants and voters! Thanks for making the Fan Art Challenges such a fun part of the LRG forums, and a special thanks to Reccoom Kaboom for organizing the contest ideas and keeping this thing rolling!

1. MIMP Gargoyle Costume, by Airot
Attached File  airot_mimp_costume_1.jpg   328.84K   12 downloadsAttached File  airot_mimp_costume_2.jpg   68.77K   40 downloadsAttached File  airot_mimp_costume_3.jpg   193.6K   21 downloadsAttached File  airot_mimp_costume_4.jpg   226.53K   15 downloadsAttached File  airot_mimp_costume_5.jpg   454.95K   14 downloads

2. Weirdball and Battle Beast Masks, by Reccoom Kaboom(bonehead, sludgehead, and knight owl)
Attached File  reccoom_kaboom_bonehead_mask.jpg   87.52K   5 downloadsAttached File  reccoom_kaboom_sludgehead_mask.jpg   93.38K   5 downloadsAttached File  reccoom_kaboom_knight_owl_mask.jpg   102.1K   9 downloads

3. Trick or Meat, by Scumdogg
Attached File  scumdogg_trick_or_meat.jpg   312.64K   22 downloads

4. Headless Tortle, by Tortle
Attached File  tortle_headless_tortle.jpg   186.79K   27 downloads

5. Skull Grotess, by Wrath1104
Attached File  wrath1104_skull_grotess_1.JPG   332K   12 downloadsAttached File  wrath1104_skull_grotess_2.JPG   389.16K   17 downloads
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#2 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

voted for airot's gargoyle. that had to have taken some serious time. those wings look great.

it was a close second for reccoom kaboom. once again the creativity and execution are amazing.

anyone else think scumdogg should draw battle beasts professionally? :p

holy crap wrath1104, how did you not go completely insane working on that? you must have picked up some serious concentration and patience skills while touring asia or something.

even for a fast sketch tortle makes a great showing. it made me giggle a little at how amusing it was. looking at nate's page and seeing the other things he's done with tortle, he makes it seem like hanging out with tortle would be tons of fun.

good job everyone.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#3 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

I'm back! And I brought my back with me!

• Legends
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Taking old toys and making them new again.
    Staying motivated artisticly, creatively.
    Keeping my XboX360 addiction under controll.
    Putting my surplus M.U.S.C.L.E.s in trades of other toylines.
    Talking like Tom Waits more often.
    Getting that Y/S N*T tattooed big n' bold accross my back.
    Having my dentist build me some new permanent fangs.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:00 PM

gargoyle rockin' the vote! heh
Posted Image

#4 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

I loved all of the entries!!!!!Great Job to ALL!!!! ;)

I ended up voting for Trick or Meat,The hand bag did me in.......genius!!!

:p eats
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:07 AM

Instead of starting by saying how excellent all the entries are (which is true), I wanted to say thank you to all the participants. These contests really have become one of my favorite things about the board. I wish I had a fraction of the talent that all of you have, because I feel like a slacker for not participating. Again, a huge thank you to all the participants!

Surprisingly this was not a slam dunk for me. Usually I have a couple of front runners, but I felt that the playing field was pretty even this time. There was a wide range of formats, fun, and playfulness.

MIMP Gargoyle Costume, by Airot
I won't lie. When I saw this, I had no idea what it was. I had to search MIMP and take a look at Number 72. Once I saw the figure, I was impressed. Of course, I was impressed with the commitment and effort that went into the piece. I don't imagine this was thrown together in 15 minutes (if it was, think what you could have done in 30!). The forehead is what really stood out to me. The fourth picture seems to really fit the gargoyle's forehead. I got the impression that Airot focused on the forehead and wings, because those two aspects are what really stood out to me. They also seem to be the aspects that stand out on the figure. So I like the interpretation of the figure. The other thing that stood out on the figure was the beading(?) on the chest. I would have liked to have seen an incorporation of this into the chest piece. As weird as this will sound, I both like and dislike the color choice. As a costume, it is bright and probably what you would actually see as a MIMP costume. I would have preferred something that more closely matches the figure, something that gave it more of a little rubber guy feel.

Weirdball and Battle Beast Masks, by Reccoom Kaboom
Reccoom is on a roll with Weirdballs. He's really translating those toys into other things. He either has a great love of them, a really understanding of their design, or a strong combination of both. But it was the Battle Beast mask that really struck me. I felt like I was looking at the original concept piece that would be used to sell Battle Beast children's costumes. I felt like the design would be simplified, watered down, and then made in China. Then, someday, people would see this prototype and be angry/sad over what could have been. Not only is the owl technically great, I felt it really captured this figure in terms of design, color, and intangible feel.

Trick or Meat, by Scumdogg
If I collected BB's, then I would have bought this piece. The only thing that stopped me from buying it was the thought of having to explain it is a picture of a MUSCLE figure dressed up like a Battle Beast. People have a tough time wrapping their head around my MUSCLE's, it exhausted me just thinking about explaining Battle Beats. I think this is a classic Scumdogg piece. Not only is it of high quality, it is entertaining. There is a fluidity and sense of motion even with the static stance. The leaves look great, the background looks great – it just all comes together. This piece simply screams fun, it forces you to smile. Any collector of Battle Beasts and MUSCLE should be fighting over this piece. EDIT - It can still be bought here.

Headless Tortle, by Tortle
God damn. This is what you can sketch out during lunch?!?! I think I want to see more of Tortle's rushed works. Not only is this a fun picture it seems to show Tortle's natural talent. With Tortle's previous entries I feel like his high quality is expected instead of impressive. This recaptures that impressiveness. I feel there are two main things about this piece: Tortle's face and the horse's face. First, the horse. The shadow and darkness around the eye brings in the sense of evilness necessary for a headless horseman piece. I almost get the sense the horse is looking angrily back at the cheerful Tortle – which brings me to Tortle. Even missing his head, Tortle is able to draw his namesake and have him look like he should. Because Tortle is so identifiable it balances the evil horse with a friendly Tortle. After this piece, I really want to see more pieces like this or more Tortle art adventures.

Skull Grotess, by Wrath1104
In the thumbnail I thought, "It's ok." Then I clicked on the image. Holy shizznit. I am a sucker for precision and accuracy and this blows my mind. Frankly I don't know what to say. I really am more interested in how this was created, and what the process is. I really struggled with this piece. The technical precision is stunning. It was so intriguing to me, that it made me stop thinking about the piece overall. I have to wonder if the addition of color would have balanced the precision and my level of engagement.

Any of these entries deserve to win. In the end, my vote goes to Weirdball and Battle Beast Masks, by Reccoom Kaboom. He had the technical skills, the accuracy, the interesting format, color, fun, and quantity. There wasn't an area that had a deficiency. In fact, I still would have voted for him if only the owl was entered. If it had been the Weirdballs alone, I don't know if he would have kept the vote. The owl was just stunning.

Again, congratulations to everyone and thank you for participating! :ulp:

Edited by General Veers, 03 November 2008 - 11:28 AM.

#6 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order, these are the things I collect;
    Monster in my Pocket (Both original the modern)
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:46 AM

MIMP Gargoyle Costume, by Airot
... I would have preferred something that more closely matches the figure, something that gave it more of a little rubber guy feel.

Firstly thanks :huh:

The chest... thingy. I honestly couldn't figure out what it was meant to be, or how to encorperate it into the costume. All my ideas seemed pretty... silly. I tried mocking up a few in newspaper, but pretty much everything I tried would have looked horrible. It's a tad difficult to bring out detail in something made of sticky tape, lol. In the end I chose to skip it.

Would have been awesome if I could find some fluro warning tape or something, but alas! The colour choice wasn't really in my control, it was in the control of whoever stocks all my local stores. I wanted the costume to be green, and that was the only attractive green, the rest were those ugly dull electrical tape greens.

As for who I'm voting for... I don't know. I haven't been able to choose, lol. I think I'll wait 'till the last day and throw my vote in then.
I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

#7 Wrath1104

Wrath1104

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

holy crap wrath1104, how did you not go completely insane working on that? you must have picked up some serious concentration and patience skills while touring asia or something.

Thanx! Surprisingly this isn't really nerve wracking ... I did one as an actual maze (that was the hardest ever). It's weird because I think I have anger problems, but I am abnormally calm while doing these. Maybe it helps me relax ... Lol! I'll take pictures of my other stuff to show it off ... I am working on an LRG one with a different type of ink.

Skull Grotess, by Wrath1104
In the thumbnail I thought, "It's ok." Then I clicked on the image. Holy shizznit. I am a sucker for precision and accuracy and this blows my mind. Frankly I don't know what to say. I really am more interested in how this was created, and what the process is. I really struggled with this piece. The technical precision is stunning. It was so intriguing to me, that it made me stop thinking about the piece overall. I have to wonder if the addition of color would have balanced the precision and my level of engagement.

Thanx! I appreciate your comments. These aren't very complicated, and if done right, they don't take much time. This one took longer because of the initial drawing (plus I was in the process of moving back to the states). "Blows my Mind" -- Those are my exact words when I tried describing it before posting ... This sentiment made me very happy!
I have wanted to do one of these in color, but honestly I am a little afraid of how it would look. Plus, I haven't been able to find the right pens for these, especially color ones ... finding black ones is hard enough. I have been using regular Army Fine Skilcraft pens.

Like I said earlier ... I will post more, and explain how I came about making them.

To Everyone else ... I am no competition to you all ... I am a very simple artist ... You guys amaze me every time ... I really didn't know that you were all so talented ... I will keep adding stuff because I don't feel as though I am active enough on this board. And LRG really is a second home for me (Funny Enough) ... This is the 3rd page I check every time I sign online.

Thank You All!

-Wrath-
If it weren't for the good guys, we'd all be BAD!

#8 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

19 votes, man that bums me out. I wish more people took the time to vote. This really is one of the best parts of the board.

#9 Starman

Starman

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:10 PM

If only the poll could show what members have voted, but not who for of course. So then we could get a LRG posse together and hunt the non voters down :verymad:

#10 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

I voted Reccoom. He's been shocking me with his talent, skill, originality and imagination, month after month.

#11 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:49 AM

Does voting end tomorrow or is it open two weeks?

#12 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

Does voting end tomorrow or is it open two weeks?

Tomorrow.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#13 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

I'm back! And I brought my back with me!

• Legends
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Taking old toys and making them new again.
    Staying motivated artisticly, creatively.
    Keeping my XboX360 addiction under controll.
    Putting my surplus M.U.S.C.L.E.s in trades of other toylines.
    Talking like Tom Waits more often.
    Getting that Y/S N*T tattooed big n' bold accross my back.
    Having my dentist build me some new permanent fangs.

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

Weirdball and Battle Beast Masks, by Reccoom Kaboom
Reccoom is on a roll with Weirdballs. He's really translating those toys into other things. He either has a great love of them, a really understanding of their design, or a strong combination of both. But it was the Battle Beast mask that really struck me. I felt like I was looking at the original concept piece that would be used to sell Battle Beast children's costumes. I felt like the design would be simplified, watered down, and then made in China. Then, someday, people would see this prototype and be angry/sad over what could have been. Not only is the owl technically great, I felt it really captured this figure in terms of design, color, and intangible feel.

Any of these entries deserve to win. In the end, my vote goes to Weirdball and Battle Beast Masks, by Reccoom Kaboom. He had the technical skills, the accuracy, the interesting format, color, fun, and quantity. There wasn't an area that had a deficiency. In fact, I still would have voted for him if only the owl was entered. If it had been the Weirdballs alone, I don't know if he would have kept the vote. The owl was just stunning.

Again, congratulations to everyone and thank you for participating! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words, Veers. To be honest, I almost didn't do these. After my Oddblokz, I was concerned that I might be angling the contests more into the "crafts" category. In the end, my impuse won out, but I'll probably go back to competeing in 2d for awhile.

As for the night owl mask, a few things: the poster paints for the flat colors worked well, with the exception of black feathering, which kept chipping off every time it was touched by another color. When I startet the owl, I wanted it to have a sbtle sadness to it, a sortof "what have I become?" mood to it. more than anything else about the piece, I'm happy with how well I belive that comes through.
Posted Image

#14 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:11 PM

My apologies for the lateness wrapping this one up, but it doesn't look like any late votes we may have had affected the outcome, and Airot is the winner of FAC 14 with her awesome MIMP costume! Congratulations Airot, and thank you again to everyone who entered and voted!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#15 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:53 AM

I am going to close this thread to stop the voting. However, everyone is welcome to heap congratulations on Airot here.

The Winner: MIMP Gargoyle Costume, by Airot :D

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com