• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:00 AM

I was inspired by Tortle's article,you can read all about it here:
http://www.nathansmu...spx?menu=muscle

I keep on kicking myself for this one,this little guy came from a 4pack and like and idiot I opened it. :) :)

I took some pictures with the injection error figure and its healthy brother.
Front Shot
Posted Image
Back Shot
Posted Image
and Together we can
Posted Image

Edited by meatcutta78, 19 December 2008 - 09:03 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

:wallbash:

I wonder how that one slipped by the QA people? Only after re-reading this post did I notice that his right foot is also malformed.

My #5 is missing the tip of his left ring finger, but--though I'm inclined to believe it's a molding flaw--I can't prove what happened. And it's not quite that spectacular, anyway. -_-

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#3 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

I wonder how that one slipped by the QA people?

when you only get paid $2 a week it's easy not to give a damn i'm sure.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#4 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

The 187 that arrived with today's mail has a dent in his head; would that count?

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

#5 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:26 PM

The 187 that arrived with today's mail has a dent in his head; would that count?

snag a picture,I would love to see it.:)

#6 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:33 AM

snag a picture,I would love to see it.:)

My camera isn't exactly the greatest, but I'll give it a shot. I'll post pics after the stuff from Black Hole Sunshine arrives.

#7 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:54 AM

I think these types of error, or minor versions of them, may be more common then we think. On figure in particular has led me to believe this, Figure #12.

As I was sorting through my color figures I had 3 different LB figures to look at, plus a few flesh. At first I thought it was going to be easy to pick the best LB figure for my set, but then I noticed a dent in the can/chest. I wasn't sure if the dent should be there. Some of the figures had it and some didn't. However all the figures that had it, they were identical dents. It stands to logic that these figures (with the dent) were simply cast in the same mold - not too big of a deal (but still weird they all ended up at my house).

The reason I think this is meaningful is that certain molds probably had greater wear or molding issues. My guess is that multiple deformed figures started appearing, and that's what the QA guys would catch it.

Just my guess.

#8 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:32 AM

I was also thinking that we'll probably see an increase in fakes – especially if there seems to be a demand.

#9 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

I was also thinking that we'll probably see an increase in fakes – especially if there seems to be a demand.

I hope you're wrong about the fakes, but I can see it being a possibility.

The story with #12 raises some interesting points. My experience with building plastic model cars, airplanes, etc--but mostly cars--reminds me of some things to point out. In the case of model cars, wear and tear on the mold manifests itself in the form of flash, the excess plastic that builds up on high points. M.U.S.C.L.E. figures with lots of flash were likely from the end of a mold's life-span. (Note that every one of THE GODBEAST's custom Claws that I have purchased has had flash. I'm not sure what causes it. Maybe Marty could enlighten us?)

Model cars also sometimes have sink-marks, annoying little depressions in the molded parts. And some of the kits I've bought were missing parts, had warped pieces, or just plain fit together like shizznit (especially common with old-school kits). There is a shocking lack of quality-control in that industry, especially with the American manufacturers. In my experience, that's rare with M.U.S.C.L.E. Maybe I'm working with too small a sample in both cases?

I believe that Meaty's 223, as well as my 187, might have been released from the molds a little early. The same could be said for figures with any number of maladies. I'm not so sure about the 12, though...

#10 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

I believe that Meaty's 223, as well as my 187, might have been released from the molds a little early. The same could be said for figures with any number of maladies. I'm not so sure about the 12, though...

when you say released early, do you mean they popped the mold while the injection was taking place and thus the sculpt didn't fully form? if so, wouldn't you think that the entire tree would be ruined. if the plastic is being injected it's still in a semi-liquid form and if they popped the mold the entire tree might just run out like warm molasses.

#11 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

when you say released early, do you mean they popped the mold while the injection was taking place and thus the sculpt didn't fully form? if so, wouldn't you think that the entire tree would be ruined. if the plastic is being injected it's still in a semi-liquid form and if they popped the mold the entire tree might just run out like warm molasses.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Or maybe those two areas just didn't get warm enough, or they were contaminated? Who knows?

#12 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

I can see something like this happening,maybe not so much with the disfigured figures,but a very high chance of this taking place with something like Marty's Hulk figure. ;)

#13 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:27 AM

Honestly I think it would be both types.

I think for disfigured/deformed/discolored figures provenance will be very important. In TGB's case it was a no-brainer, you know he wouldn't lie about something like that and he knows MUSCLEs. However, even a decent seller/trader that doesn't really specialize in MUSCLE's would be suspect in my book. Not because he made the figure, but because they might not know it is a dye, color fade, cut, or something else from a lot they bought.

#14 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

Here's my dented 187. Considering that the picture was taken at night, with only the flash and a shaded CFL providing lighting, I think it came out okay.

Posted Image

#15 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:35 AM

Somewhere I have a sunken chested Kington......

If & when I find it I will shoot for some pics to post.

#16 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

M.U.S.C.L.E. figures with lots of flash were likely from the end of a mold's life-span. (Note that every one of THE GODBEAST's custom Claws that I have purchased has had flash. I'm not sure what causes it. Maybe Marty could enlighten us?)

That is because I let the collectors get the claws for a better deal w/o me cleaning off the flashing. That is caused from my 2 part molds. The flashing is the little bit of plastic that leaks between the 2 halves at the seam. It saves me time not having to take an exacto to each of those claws' seams.

As far as fakes go, w/ any toy line, the buyer of such oddities has got to purchase such rarities from a trusted seller. They should also have clear photos and even purchase such items on the open forum for all to see. That way the buyer can see/hear other collector's opinions and knowledge.

I collected some super odd/rare vintage Star Wars, Smurf, BB/LB, Rocks Bugs & Things, etc... errors/variants. I can tell the difference fairly easily, also because I have seen a TON of customs, fakes, and just plain condition changes (dry rot, sun fading, nicotine, etc...)

I think if a seller posts their variant/error here w/ clear photos, this group is pretty savvy w/ items like these. :woot:

TGB

#17 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

i don't see what the draw is to these factory error figures. if i bought a ten pack and found out one of the figures was missing parts of their anatomy due to factory error i'd be disappointed. but that's just my taste. i do think the hulk muscle is cool though. and other color errors from the factory would be kind of neat. i guess if i got a 153 with a couple of fingers strategically missing that'd be kind of cool for about five minutes. i'd prolly get bored of flipping my wife off with it though. :lol:

#18 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

i guess if i got a 153 with a couple of fingers strategically missing that'd be kind of cool for about five minutes. i'd prolly get bored of flipping my wife off with it though. ;)

Ya mean like this? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attached Files

Edited by THEGODBEAST, 27 December 2008 - 07:26 PM.

#19 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

M.U.S.C.L.E. figures with lots of flash were likely from the end of a mold's life-span. (Note that every one of THE GODBEAST's custom Claws that I have purchased has had flash. I'm not sure what causes it. Maybe Marty could enlighten us?)

That is because I let the collectors get the claws for a better deal w/o me cleaning off the flashing. That is caused from my 2 part molds. The flashing is the little bit of plastic that leaks between the 2 halves at the seam. It saves me time not having to take an exacto to each of those claws' seams.

Okay, makes sense now. Thanks, Marty!

#20 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

Ya mean like this? :lol: :lol: :lol:

exactly. ;)

#21 Black Hole Sunshine

Black Hole Sunshine

Half man, half PVC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:80's toylines (M.U.S.C.L.E., M.A.S.K., MOTU, Madballs, Spinjas, Battle Beasts), Pokemon, vintage video games, NES, working out, playing music....

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

This really isn't an injection error, but it looks like my green Planet Man was removed from the mold too early and got all funkified

Attached File  3152054729_c3773cc142.jpg   81.12K   37 downloads

Attached File  3152889928_36330d9674.jpg   83.36K   36 downloads
I research M.U.S.C.L.E.!!! Help me out!!!!

#22 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:34 AM

This really isn't an injection error, but it looks like my green Planet Man was removed from the mold too early and got all funkified

I just received a Geronimo who's bent in a similar manner; he looks like he's hauling in a pass! :lol: I'll post pics of him soon.

#23 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:33 AM

So I'm giving this post a bump for two reasons:
1. I'm stealing the pictures from here, so please PM me if you are against it or if you'd like to send me better ones.
2. I'm hoping more people will send me pictures.

I'm looking for any MUSCLE figure errors. They don't need to be major flaws like meatcutta's first picture. They could be figures that have a weird stance/shape because they were handled too hot and didn't cool and set.

Please don't think I'm looking for Green Hulk-type errors. I just think it would be fun and interesting to see a bunch of factory effed up figures.

It would also be cool if you could take a picture of the figure next to a good example, but I'll take anything I can get.

I'll post the UofM link when I have enough pictures to post.

#24 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:38 AM

Ok, here's a link to the Manufacturing Error section.

I will have another section for less radical examples, called The MUSCLE Warp.

#25 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

Im going to get you a better pic. :good: Give me a day or two. :lol:

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com