• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

I really hope that the US Gormiti line survives past series 1. The thing is, it's going to have a rough time - the Energhia sculpts are not exactly the best ever. For example, let's look at two figures, both people of the Volcano - Lavor the Powerful and Bombos. They essentially are the same concept, after all, and both are good for their faction.

Lavor the Powerful
Posted Image

Bombos the Fire Power

Posted Image

Bombos totally deserved that TOurnament win, and honestly it's one of my favorite figures from the faction. Lavor? When just viewed on its own, Lavor is nice, and all, but the paint job is honestly pretty plain. There really is no comparison - and if I were to bring in some of the sculpts from Series 3 or Final Evolution, it would look even crazier!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5108 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

What's funny about the comparison is that Series 2 sculpts were actually designed before Series 1, because OUR S1 is Italy's Energheia, their Series 4 or 7 depending on how you'd count repaint sets.

#3 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, I know. However, Energhia is superior to the original Series 1.

#4 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5108 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

Oh yeah, don't I know it. Those poor, poor emaciated Series 1 sculpts...

But because of the fact that Energheia was intended to replicate the simpler classic look of the first series, I'm still not sure the comparison is fair. In your example, Lavor may suffer in terms of colors, but the sculpting detail isn't far off.

#5 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

Well, Bombos does have more sculpted details than Lavor, and it isn't just because lava is "soft." Look at the volcanos in his back, for example. Energhia was meant to replicate series 1, but with better proportions. It also shows us what England got for series 2, and hopefully what we will see, too.

#6 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22219 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

I don't know, I think for the most part, the Energheia sculpts just blow the crap out of the UK Series 2 sculpts. There are some exceptions, such as Tartanica and Bombos, but for the most part, S2 can't hold a candle to S1.

#7 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

Series 2 does have too many utterly plain sculpts - a few volcano and earth pieces are basically just skinny armor-plated guys in the correct colors, but I definitely prefer characters like Hypnofrog or the clam guy out of series 2 to, say, mantra or Tongs from Series 1.

#8 Professor

Professor

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

Its a bit unfair to use Bombos as the prime example to compare S1 and S2 since Bombos is one of the more superior sculpts in that set. He's the only worthwhile volcano character in S2, all the other guys are just random slabs of red.

One thing I also hate about S2 are all the poorly designed skinny characters. Nightmare of Fire and Multiplop are easily the worst figures in the entire Gormiti toyline IMO. You just cant help but feel ripped off when you pick up a 2 EU foil for 'em. Although they'd be hella' easy to identify in a box of foils.

Even the lords are poorly sculpted. Kolossus is probably the fugliest lord yet.

Overall hands down S1 (Energheia) > S2.
Filth fighters standing for all that is clean!

#9 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

Deepdownfear looks pretty awesome, though! I like Luminescent Phantom, and that one that looks like a mini-fear, too. But then we have thigns like the seahorse and eel guys, who are totally bland. The Air faction is the weakest in both sets, though.

I love Series 2's forest guys, too - did you ever notice that one of them is a Pitcher Plant? People keep forgetting what a Pitcher Plant is!

Edited by Ridureyu, 31 January 2009 - 10:41 PM.

#10 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

Series two forest guys are pretty cool, but i also like the series 1 forest figures too (there is something about the guy with flowers for hands and a face that just creeps me out, in a good way).

Where Series two falls down is with figures like the Forest Leader Tribe. I cannot remember his name right now, but let's just call him the Big Log of Crap, because let's face it - that's what he looks like. I don't know how he ever became leader, he should have been drowned at birth.

I think Series one is more consistant overall, although there are some very sweet series two figures there are some very poor ones as Proffesor... proffessed... multiplop and nightmare of fire make me soooo angry when i look at them sitting amongst such glorious sculpts as Bombos or Deepdownfear or Hypnofrog or Turtle the Seer!!

Series 1 for the win!!

Edited by musclemenkids, 03 February 2009 - 02:49 PM.

"FRUIT OOZE IS WETLY LEWD SO
STAY DRY IN RUBBER BOOTS AND.."

#11 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

Hypnofrog vs. Hypnotoad!

#12 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

Holy crap, Kolossus is massive.

Has anybody noticed the "Mini-Me" theme in some of the factions? Kolossus/Dedalus and Deepdownfear/Steelblade come to mind, in which there is one henchman that surprisingly resembles the boss? It's not everywhere (not in the Sea faction, for example), but we've got a few in Series 2.

The Air faction is really bland this time around, too. It didn't come into its own till Series 3 and Final Evolution.

#13 Blacklaw

Blacklaw

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Collections, Manga, Videogames, Comics, Toys, DVD, Cartoons, Cinema, Girls

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

Energheia is the italian 7th series, in UK and US is the 1st series. The 2nd series is the 2nd in Italy, UK and USA. The sculpts of the 2nd are older than Energheia/1st.

Here the original order of the series in Italy:

1. 1st series (42 characters) (it's not the same 1st series of UK, US and german product)
2. Mystica (42 characters) (repaint of the 1st series)
3. 2nd series (35 characters) (it's 2nd series in Italy, UK, US, Germany)
4. Atomic (35 characters) (repaint of the 2nd series)
5. 3rd series (42 characters)
6. Mythos (42 characters) (repaint of the 3rd series)
7. Energheia (42 characters) (complete remake of the 1st series sculpts) (in UK, Germany and US also known as 1st series)
8. Final Evolution (84 characters: 42 NEW + 42 Energheia repainted)
9. Cartoon (30 characters) (remake of 30 past series sculpts)
10. Elemental Fusion (35 characters) (new series; in italian stores on march 2009)

Edited by Blacklaw, 13 February 2009 - 11:03 AM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com