Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

POLL: FAC 23: Garbage Pail Kids!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

Poll: FAC 23: GARBAGE PAIL KIDS (33 member(s) have cast votes)

VOTE

1. 1. AIROT- COPROLITE BETTY (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

2. 2. ERICNILLA- DROPKICK RICK (7 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

3. 3. ERICNILLA- STOCKPILE KYLE (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. 4. MISTERDROID- NASTY MASKY (10 votes [30.30%])

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

5. 5. RECCOOM KABOOM- SLUDGEHEAD NED (2 votes [6.06%])

6. 6. RUSVAN- IVY LEAGUE (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

7. 7. SCUMDOGG- LOU FHTAGN (2 votes [6.06%])

8. 8. TORTLE- HE'S DEAD JIM (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote

#1 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

Hello everyone and welcome to the poll for Fan Art Challenge number 23, Garbage Pail Kids! This was supposed to go up a while ago, but i've been having some internet issues so i thank you all for your patience. Make sure to get in here and vote for your favorite, you've got one week from today! Thanks to everyone who participated, and good luck!

1. AIROT- COPROLITE BETTY
Attached File  airot_coprolite_betty.JPG   153.59K   35 downloads

2. ERICNILLA- DROPKICK RICK
Attached File  ericnilla_dropkick_rick.jpg   302.52K   39 downloads

3. ERICNILLA- STOCKPILE KYLE
Attached File  ericnilla_stockpile_kyle.jpg   554.17K   24 downloadsAttached File  ericnilla_forbes_horde.jpg   620.27K   21 downloadsjpg]

4. MISTERDROID- NASTY MASKY
Attached File  misterdroid_nastymasky.png   299.67K   45 downloads

5. RECCOOM KABOOM- SLUDGEHEAD NED
Attached File  reccoom_kaboom_sludgehead_ned.jpg   306.67K   29 downloads

6. RUSVAN- IVY LEAGUE
Attached File  rusvan_ivy_league.jpg   236.84K   34 downloads

7. SCUMDOGG- LOU FHTAGN
Attached File  Scumdogg_Lou_Fhtagn.jpg   233.33K   34 downloads

8. TORTLE- HE'S DEAD JIM
Attached File  tortle_hes_dead_jim.jpg   247.74K   53 downloads

Edited by Scumdogg, 10 August 2009 - 09:32 AM.

Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

Can I cheat and vote for all of them?

#3 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

I suppose it'd be hard to stop you, with your crazy admin powers and all. :drinks:
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#4 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:09 PM

these are all great but i vote he's dead jim, that one was too hiliarious
What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#5 8BitIcyman

8BitIcyman

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

I'm going to say Nasty Masky.

#6 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

all were excellent. and this isn't an "all were excellent" in a way to be nice to everyone. they really were fabulous. three however stood out and caught my attention even more so than the rest. lou ftagn, he's dead jim & nasty masky. not only was a color on them top notch, but they were very clever and very well designed. scumdogg's mastery of color is no secret. everyone knows it. everyone expects it. tortle's entries are always very well thought out and damned if they're not funny/entertaining more often than not. this one made me laugh and it nearly was the winner in my book. unfortunately for nate we have a newcomer who shocked and delighted. not only are the colors really great, but the design and subject are really fun too. i think what finally sold me on it was the inclusion of the "peel here" label. i know eric has them on his as well, but nasty masky really captured what i was expecting in this contest. first rate work all around but misterdroid captures my vote. i really hope to see more work in the future from him. if we keep adding top rate talent like this every month who know's how big these contests will get.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#7 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth. Holy shizznit, you guys all deserve to win this one. Wow! This was a combination of awesome theme and incredible artwork!

I'd love for you guys to revisit the card theme in the future.
Posted Image

#8 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order, these are the things I collect;
    Monster in my Pocket (Both original the modern)
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

Who voted for mine?

Thanks! I'm guessing you're either a dinosaur geek like me and got a giggle from the joke, or liked the Dino Brites toy reference....

or you're colourblind!

You people ARE being nice when you say 'all deserve to win'. I know mine isn't as good as everyone else's. I'm just not very good with colour pencils. I haven't used them since 3rd grade or something. The highlight green was too yellow and saturated compared to the others. I should have just shaded using those other two, but I didn't like the look of that. I had to use another colour D:
I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

#9 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

I really do believe that this is at least in the top three contests we've ever had. It started off looking like participation would be low, and i honestly expected a few entries to just be like fan art of the GPK Cheap Toys (i know that's what i was planning at first!).

But seriously you guys, we've basically designed (most of us in like the last 48 hours :D), what would be a good chunk of an excellent Garbage Pail Kids set. Way to raise the bar, all of you.

While setting up the poll i was trying to figure out who i was going to vote for. Honestly i'm not sure there's a clear standout this time...like i said, these would all have a home amongst a set of actual Garbage Pail Kids cards. It's impossible for me to decide which one looks the best after any amount of deliberation. So i'm going with the one that made me laugh the most the first time i saw it-"He's dead JIM", by Tortle. Love it. :D
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#10 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

I am blown away. All of these entries seem legitimately GPK worthy to me. This was unquestionably the single strongest group of entries we've ever had.

AIROT - COPROLITE BETTY
First, I love the name. I also love the face of the T-Rex. I feel like you really combined the GPK face and the dinosaur face. I think the entire piece lived and died with the face, and you handled it perfectly. There was only one downside for me – the shadow. It wasn't entirely clear to me if something bigger was creating a shadow or if it was the T-Rex's shadow.

ERICNILLA - DROPKICK RICK & STOCKPILE KYLE
You just don't get enough crotch sweat and liquid ass inducing dropkicks in art, luckily Eric filled that niche with Dropkick Rick. :D I can sum up all of Eric's entries very simply. They are great drawings (as usual) but the faces don't seem GPK enough for me. Ironically, I think the Terri-Bull skull is the most GPK-like. Had that same GPK-like face been on the central characters my vote might have been different – still an awesome job. Oh, and I loved the LRG screen shot on Stockpile Kyle! :D

MISTERDROID- NASTY MASKY
WOW! I'm always impressed with great coloring and this has it, especially the snot. I think this was the strongest integration of a LRG guy and a GPK. Both of the original characteristics are very clear and distinct but coupled incredibly well. I usually don't like when people try overly clever names, but KinnikuPailKids worked for me. Honestly, the only knock I can see is that there isn't a letter next to the number.

RECCOOM KABOOM- SLUDGEHEAD NED
Misterdroid had the best integration of two lines, but Reccoom had the best integration of three. Here all the original characteristics are very clear and distinct but coupled incredibly well. For me, capturing the Weird Ball Wrestler pose was the best part. I didn't like the background color, but that's just a preference and wasn't a deal-breaker. The ring floor did seem a bit weird to me. It looked like he was standing on a pillow instead of compacting the ring. I think it was specifically the middle bulge.

RUSVAN - IVY LEAGUE
It is nice to see a first entry that is so strong. You'll probably fall victim to the "Tortle-effect" now. Each entry is held up to such a high standard that it can be hard to get votes. I really love the detail with this entry - everything from the kids making out, to the punk, to the teacher teaching evolution. I remember reading that this was for your daughter, so I was especially fond of the books she carried: Love, Faith, and Family. I only have one criticism: the right leg. With the way the left leg is hanging over with the skirt the right leg looks oddly too far back. But that is a minor issue on an incredibly nice piece.

SCUMDOGG - LOU FHTAGN
Seriously, I am always blown away. Everything about this piece is perfect...except the font for the name – it just looks weird. I don't know if it's too spaced out, too small, or both plus several other things I can't figure out. Did you add that in digitally? It just seems out of place. I won't lie, the weird font was weird enough for it to be a deciding factor.

TORTLE- HE'S DEAD JIM
No "Tortle-effect" with this entry. It came down to Nasty Masky and He's Dead Jim for me. And the deciding factor was based on the card number. I thought it was weird that Tortle chose 1701, and knew it had to have a Star Trek meaning. Of course it did, the Starship Enterprise registry! That cinched it for me. I loved everything about the drawing, the look, the color, the fullness of the card. Plus that name just killed me.

Again, this was the best grouping of entries ever. There isn't a dud in the bunch. Nitpicking was the only way I was able to pick one entry to vote for.

Thank you to all the entries!

Edited by General Veers, 11 August 2009 - 08:23 AM.

#11 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

SCUMDOGG - LOU FHTAGN
Seriously, I am always blown away. Everything about this piece is perfect...except the font for the name – it just looks weird. I don't know if it's too spaced out, too small, or both plus several other things I can't figure out. Did you add that in digitally? It just seems out of place. I won't lie, the weird font was weird enough for it to be a deciding factor.

Yeah, the background, name, and logo are all digital. Not something i usually do, but it was the middle of the night and my original drawing was too off-center on the page to make the whole card by hand. :D

The font DOES look weird, and i intended to replace it (as well as alter the card name itself), but ran out of time. Glad you liked the rest of it though. :D
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#12 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

MISTERDROID- NASTY MASKY
WOW! I'm always impressed with great coloring and this has it, especially the snot. I think this was the strongest integration of a LRG guy and a GPK. Both of the original characteristics are very clear and distinct but coupled incredibly well. I usually don't like when people try overly clever names, but KinnikuPailKids worked for me. Honestly, the only knock I can see is that there isn't a letter next to the number.

No "Tortle-effect" with this entry. It came down to Nasty Masky and He's Dead Jim for me. And the deciding factor was based on the card number. I thought it was weird that Tortle chose 1701, and knew it had to have a Star Trek meaning. Of course it did, the Starship Enterprise registry! That cinched it for me. I loved everything about the drawing, the look, the color, the fullness of the card. Plus that name just killed me.

Again, this was the best grouping of entries ever. There isn't a dud in the bunch. Nitpicking was the only way I was able to pick one entry to vote for.

Thank you to all the entries!

During the making of the piece, I went back and forth on including a letter with the card number. I decided not to since my entry doesn't have a B version, and the number refers to Robin's MUSCLE figure number. Guess I should have explained that. Sometimes when I get stuck on little techinical details like that, I spend so much time thinking about it that I assume everyone else has somehow magically followed along with my interior dialog and we are all on the same page. On of my most stupid habits actually...

In any case, thank you everyone! I am truly shocked at the results so far. I honestly didn't think I stood a chance in this contest. There is some serious talent on display and I am humbled to be a part of it all. I can't wait for the next contest!

#13 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

I decided not to since my entry doesn't have a B version, and the number refers to Robin's MUSCLE figure number.

Damn it, I missed that - that's great! :lol:

Don't lose too much sleep over it, I needed something to break the tie. :lol:

#14 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

ERICNILLA - DROPKICK RICK & STOCKPILE KYLE
You just don't get enough crotch sweat and liquid ass inducing dropkicks in art, luckily Eric filled that niche with Dropkick Rick. :lol: I can sum up all of Eric's entries very simply. They are great drawings (as usual) but the faces don't seem GPK enough for me. Ironically, I think the Terri-Bull skull is the most GPK-like. Had that same GPK-like face been on the central characters my vote might have been different – still an awesome job. Oh, and I loved the LRG screen shot on Stockpile Kyle! :lol:

yeah, its hard for me to draw these kind of characters... i'm not a huge fan of simplistic drawings, so i drew them like i usually would, then went back and erased a lot. then the skull looked too real so i erased that and drew it as non-anatomical as i could. :)

this so wasn't an easy contest for me... fun, but not easy. plus im really not liking coloring so i think im gonna go back to just pencil. If it hurts my votes oh well, not really in it to win. :D

#15 rusvan

rusvan

toysRus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

Wish I had time to do a piece for for us(LRG), but I've only been on this site for a month(or at least seriously involved for a month), and I found this contest on the LAST DAY of the contest at midnight, lol. I didn't mind sharing my entry at all, but it isn't appropiate, lol.
I'm an art teacher in the public school system and have been teaching for 11 years (college through elementary) and I'm a visual artist. My work is actually very realistic and traditional, but sometimes slightly surrealistic too. But, I love GPK and urban art so much and occasionally create GPK concept art. This is the first concept that I've taken to the "final". I was fun to paint, though I used acrylics which I NEVER use, but I just wanted to make a classic orginal piece in the style of John Pound. It's funny, I get asked rather frequently who my favorite artists are and I go through my usual list: Courbet, Goya, Sequieros, Modigiani, Van Gogh, Ingres, Bacon....and then I say John Pound. lol! No one has ever asked who he is, guess by that time their interest had faded. Seriously, the dude's a master or our generation in the field of illustration and I'm very proud him. He's more the group of *gulp* Norman Rockwell, Maxfield Parrish, Andrew Wyeth, and other great illustrators. He's not as prolific as he should be though, but he still has time. Damn, I want to see a ANS 8!!!

I thought all the entries were solid, the colors were very poppy and 80's overall. Alittle airbrush would have been nice though, but I didn't use any either. I used to have a rad airbrush installation in the last high school I taught at, but I haven't done any airbrush work since then. That's the quickest way to create the classic GPK look, if you're brave enough to airbrush on your acrylic final that you spent 12 hours on! You better know how to sheild and tape and mask correctly or you'd be effed. :rolleyes:

#16 rusvan

rusvan

toysRus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

effed? oops, lol. sorry!

oh yea, what is the tortle effect? inside joke, huh?

and oh yeah, I voted on mine(my only vote, lol), I thought it was the tightest composition, the most dimensional, and the only one that looked like a real GPK card. When I was a kid I used to believe it was wrong to vote for yourself, and then when I grew up I realized that you should ALWAYS vote for yourself. Imagine someone who doesn't vote for themself. But that's common in children, I've been asked in MANY classroom critiques if it was ok for them to vote for their piece. That moral decision in children is so interesting to me, and quite beautiful.

#17 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:54 AM

I voted for Stockpile Kyle because the LRG screenshot made me giggle.

Who is John Pound?

#18 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:28 AM

and then when I grew up I realized that you should ALWAYS vote for yourself. Imagine someone who doesn't vote for themself. But that's common in children, I've been asked in MANY classroom critiques if it was ok for them to vote for their piece. That moral decision in children is so interesting to me, and quite beautiful.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. :spiteful: I've entered...eighteen of these contests now (wow!) and have voted for myself maybe once or twice. Usually when there were only a couple entries. I think the purpose of a voting system is to vote for the one you honestly like the best (although certain personalities are always going to find their work to be the best), not to be able to say "well at least i got one vote".

But maybe you were just trying to be funny, in which case, disregard.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#19 rusvan

rusvan

toysRus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:25 PM

and then when I grew up I realized that you should ALWAYS vote for yourself. Imagine someone who doesn't vote for themself. But that's common in children, I've been asked in MANY classroom critiques if it was ok for them to vote for their piece. That moral decision in children is so interesting to me, and quite beautiful.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. :spiteful: I've entered...eighteen of these contests now (wow!) and have voted for myself maybe once or twice. Usually when there were only a couple entries. I think the purpose of a voting system is to vote for the one you honestly like the best (although certain personalities are always going to find their work to be the best), not to be able to say "well at least i got one vote".

But maybe you were just trying to be funny, in which case, disregard.

lol, (about voting for ones self )it really depends on how seriously somebody takes themself and what they create, etc.

18 contests huh? That's epic! I want to explore the contest sections this weekend. This is a FANTASIC site. It's funny, I was always turned off by the skin on the site and didn't care to become a member just because how the site "looked". Are there anymore skins, besides this blue-gray color?! That would rock!

#20 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

bottom left corner. try the liberate skin. so far it's the least damaging to the eye.

#21 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

I'm back! And I brought my back with me!

• Legends
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Taking old toys and making them new again.
    Staying motivated artisticly, creatively.
    Keeping my XboX360 addiction under controll.
    Putting my surplus M.U.S.C.L.E.s in trades of other toylines.
    Talking like Tom Waits more often.
    Getting that Y/S N*T tattooed big n' bold accross my back.
    Having my dentist build me some new permanent fangs.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

I would agree this is one of our most solid turnouts yet. The one entrant I was expecting to own this challenge: csmhoff. I thought for sure he would debut one or two of his brilliant cheap toys customs, and dominate. Didn't happen. ;)
Posted Image

#22 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:24 AM

I would agree this is one of our most solid turnouts yet. The one entrant I was expecting to own this challenge: csmhoff. I thought for sure he would debut one or two of his brilliant cheap toys customs, and dominate. Didn't happen. ;)

That surprised me as well. "Make a GPK card" was in no way a limitation of the contest, i was really surprised to not see more stuff directly inspired by Cheap Toys.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#23 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

two days to go and already at 32 votes. nice!

#24 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

Well that's it for another Fan Art Challenge! Thanks to everyone who participated and voted, and congratulations to Misterdroid for winning his first FAC! Don't forget to PM jkaris for your prize!

1. AIROT- COPROLITE BETTY [ 2 ] ** [6.25%]
2. ERICNILLA- DROPKICK RICK [ 6 ] ** [18.75%]
3. ERICNILLA- STOCKPILE KYLE [ 3 ] ** [9.38%]
4. MISTERDROID- NASTY MASKY [ 10 ] ** [31.25%]
5. RECCOOM KABOOM- SLUDGEHEAD NED [ 2 ] ** [6.25%]
6. RUSVAN- IVY LEAGUE [ 1 ] ** [3.13%]
7. SCUMDOGG- LOU FHTAGN [ 2 ] ** [6.25%]
8. TORTLE- HE'S DEAD JIM [ 6 ] ** [18.75%]
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#25 sherrie

sherrie

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts
  • Interests:toys, computers, games, reading

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:02 AM

Congratulations misterdroid! Job well done!

I cannot believe how many talented people we have on this board. It amazes me every time I see the entries for any of the contests. Not only talent, but the imagination astounds me here.

I missed the vote but have to say they were all great. As a mom I have to also add 'disgusting', but great none the less, and made even greater because 'disgusting' is actually what the theme for GPK is.

You all caught it wonderfully.

When my boys were small, they knew what made mommies stomach churn, and they used it to the fullest, which is why I never bought them GPK! I would have had cards under my food as often as they could have gotten away with it! lol :sick:

Congrats to all of you for a job well done! :p

Selling on Ebay as Kinnikumart

Check out my Ebay Auctions
HERE

My Store is now Closed!
Selling on Ebay and here on the Forum too!. Pm me or email me.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com