• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

Recently, I won an auction for a bootleg 4-pack for The Wrestlers Lutteurs, some Canadian MUSCLE knockoffs that have been commented upon on this board.
Posted Image
And after I got the pack, I thought to myself: "The only info we have on these is really scattered and kind of blurry. There is one good photo of the six-armed dude, and one blurry one, and another figure kindasorta identified on UofM. Somebody's got to bite the bullet and open a pack, so it may as well be me."
And thus, it is opened! Don't worry, there will be other MOC Lutteur packs on eBay in the future. Anyway, let's dissect this.

Firstly, "Lutteur" just means "wrestler" in French. Therefore, these are "The Wrestlers," or if you want to be fancy, they are "The Wrestlers Wrestlers." And according to the package, they are wild! They are bad! They are good! The cardback is blank (as to be expected), btu they did a pretty good job knocking off the MUSCLE 4-pack card, although I must say that neither of the wrestlers pictures on it showed up in this 4-pack. Supposedly, these four figures were the only ones available, too, although I could see knockoffs of some specific MUSCLEs looking like those two cartoon guys. The fact that it was just this four and they resemble 4-pack MUSCLEs says that the company probably bought a single 4-pack and then had their sculptors go to work.

Posted Image
These figures were made by Tootsie Wootsie toys in Ontario. I've tried to track down at least some information on them, but have so far been unsuccessful. Likely, I would have to actually go to Canada and look up hard copies of their business records. I'll just assume that they made dollar-store toys, and leave it at that.

The next thing I noticed is that THESE ARE NOT DIRECT COPIES OR RESCULPTS OR ALTERED SCULPTS. These are not bootlegs, i.e. direct copies of a preexisting product (often using the other product as a mold). They are knockoffs, direct imitations. Each Lutteurs figure is clearly based on a specific MUSCLE, but they do not reuse any parts. Rather, they are simply scultped to copy them. I have to give Tootsie Wootsie's in-house sculptors some props here, because they look pretty good. They are also pretty much the exact smae shadw of pink as MUSCLEs, although the rubber is glossier and a little softer (it still feels durable). This produces a very interesting effect. Remember the days before Google when we just had our childish memories of MUSCLEs we didn't own? Perhaps a few we saw at a friend's house, or ones in 4-packs we did not buy? These figures have that slightly distorted, "wrong" look that those memory-figures would have. Six-armed Goro, finless Mariposa, uneven and horned Ninja, tall Wood guy... it's there, and it gives me kind of a creepy Deja Vu feeling. Also, they lack all identification, not even a "HONG KONG" marking on them.

Now, let's look at these four figures:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

First up is the six-armed #077, the most famous of this group. And why not? He has the most immediate and striking difference from the original, which makes this a desired piece in many collections. Look! He's got six arms! However, this is a complete resculpt, not just a frankenstein kitbash. The head is shaped differently - it not only lacks 77's headband, butthe expression is somewhat different, the knees and mouth are smaller, and the nose is sharper. His torso is longer and flatter, and his pecs are a little, well, "perkier." He also lacks the typical MUSCLE "soft" texture - those tiny little dots used for certaiin surfaces or shading. From the waist down, the shape is similar, but he has no belt, shorts instead of sweats, and different shoes. The arms are the most similar to 77, but even when you point out the four arms that are direct parallels, there are differences. For the upper-right arm, their thumbs are in different positions, the arm musculature is different, and the wrist is not the same thickness. The same applies to the lower arms - they are very similar, but they're just not the same.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This next one most closely resembles #100, Bam Bam Ji, and has also appeared on UofM as a curiosity. Well, now the mystery has been solved - its one of the lutteurs! This figure has the most obvious changes from the original sculpt - and by that, I mean that it's most obviously an original piece, not a kitbash or frankenstein. It certainly LOOKS a lot like Bam Bam Ji (the subject of a piece of very early MUSCLE fanfic, BTW), but all of the proportions are different. Individual costume details also don't match up, like his sculpted hair, or clearly-outlined mask, or tiny little belt. The belt is great, by the way - it shows a surprising amount of quality for a knockoff. Interestingly, the injection point is on its shoulder, exactly where 100's little leaf is. Perhaps it was originally meant to include a leaf, but they decided not to for the sake of the mold.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This figure most closely resembles #096, The Ninja [B], but with a rather important and obvious difference: One arm is longer than the other! Oh, and he also has a giant horn on his head. DIscounting the horn, which could have been Frankensteined from anything if this were not an original sculpt, you can again compare each part to the original. His shorts, legs and boots seem incredibly similar to 96's, but if you look carefully you can see different proportions on the feet, different ankle width, different musculature on the legs (96's are a little "baggier"), and different creases on the shorts. The shorts are amazing, as they are almost entirely alike except for those creases. The torso is more obviously new - different musculature, different cross-hatching, and the aforementioned issue with arm-length. As for the head, there are differences besides the horn. His face is not remotely the same, with a completely different brow, eyes, nose, and mouth. But at a quick glance, it can easily be mistaken for a kitbash with an extra horn.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This figure is the closest to its original, #166 Kinnikuman Mariposa [A]. In fact, I had to analyze it the longest before determining it to be a new sculpt, and not a modified copy. Ignoring his slightl concave face (a problem that many MUSCLEs share, most notably #1), there are several definite differences between this figure and 166, besides the missing head fin. Firstly, this figure has a belt that is not present on 166. It's quite a nice little detail and, much like the #100 belt, is well-sculpted. The figure's arms and legs lack the "soft" texture mentioned before, and are instead smooth. Its legs are more truncated than that of the original figure, and the shape of the kBatman-esque kneepads is different (the prongs are slightly longer). His shirt's wrinkles are almost exact, but if you look, they are different. It's almost like looking at a drawing somebody made of the figure - all the details are "right" (two creases in the middle angled roughly the right way), but not exact. And likewise with the arms. Ignoring their lengh, 166's unique musculature is almost, but not quitew reproduced. Again, every curved line is "correct," but it's not a mirror, as the shapes aren't perfect, and his fists are different (different arrangement of skin creases near his index finger and thumb). The head is more obviously different, with a wider, pumpkin-esque nose. The pattern around his face is very faithfully reproduced, although again, the prongs are not the same. They may have the same number, but their length and arrangement is slightly different. Finally, the collar is entirely different. Make no mistake, this is a completely new sculpt, but the person who made it was fairly talented at copying the original.

So, there you have it! The four Wrestlers Lutteurs, from Canada! These are really special in a study of bootleg figures, and I can't think of many other toys like it - perhaps some of the odd Japanese kinkeshi knockoffs, like the Mickey Mouse one?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 tofudrifter81

tofudrifter81

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Kinnikuman, MUSCLE, BB, RoboTech, Sprial Zone, SD Gundam

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

Great INFO. Thanks for taking that plunge and opening these guys up.
"They didn't make me Captain because I could sail"

#3 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

On further thought, I think the uneven arms was a deadline issue. The figures are pretty well-sculpted in general, but the ninja's arm troubles just stand out. Timeline-wise, they clearly purchased one pack and handed then off to an in-house sculptor to make modified (copyright-free!) copies. Maybe he made the ninja last, and reached his deadline before he could fix the arm?

#4 deathadder5150

deathadder5150

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E.S. AND M.U.S.C.L.E. BOOTLEGS. i'm on twitter and istagram as @deathadder5150 add me!

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

I bid on this! after reading your post I wish I won it. these look really good.

#5 TOPHER

TOPHER

Chit Happens.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Interests:My Recording Studio, Video Games, Shelby Cobras, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle/Laser/Greek Beasts, MIMP+WIMP, Remco Mini Mashers, Figurines holding any kind of musical instrument, Weird Ball Wrestlers......

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

Nice reveiw,finally we get to see what these sculps actually
look like.They looked to be copies and one was always covered
with Goro on top,which up to now I didn't know who it was
now we know it's a Woodman(#100, Bam Bam Ji)like figure.
Of those 4 I like the Woodman the most,for some reason
he reminds me of M.u.s.c.l.e fig #154-Ammonite.
Thanks for the reveiw and sacrifice of opening a sealed card. :D

'On Sale' or 'For Sale'. It's really the same thing! The word, 'Sale' means YOU CAN BUY IT,
not that it is discounted. We as consumers are conditioned to think"On Sale"means it's cheaper.
Posted Image

#6 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

I bid on this! after reading your post I wish I won it. these look really good.

Don't worry, another will show up. They pop up on ebay from time to time, and this was actually the second one I tried to win.

#7 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

POTENTIAL NAMES FOR THESE FOUR:

#077 - Fat Ash

#100 - Big Woody

#96 - Rhino

#166 - Kinnikuman Marp

#8 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

Interesting to find out that they are "new" sculpts. And very nice to see them all laid out, up close and in focus.
(My usually dormant OCD politely cleared its throat at the Big Woody comparison picture, but I told it to shut up.)

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

#9 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

Because the focus isn't as good? Or because a speck of something landed on the cloth?

#10 nanoFatato

nanoFatato

Chi sono? Da dove vengo?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:26 AM

Great review with nice photos, thanks for sharing!

#11 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:00 AM

#077 - Fat Ash

#100 - Big Woody

#96 - Rhino

#166 - Kinnikuman Marp

:lol:

#12 agvd

agvd

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for the scoop!

#13 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

I SEE IT NOW! The figures are REVERSED in the Woody picture! AGH, it bugs me, too - but can I replicate the lighting exactly to retake it?

#14 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

Black background.... if it bugs that much just cut the pic and reverse it...

#15 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

The lighting I used for those were two sets of overhead lights (there are regular ones which are too dim for good pictures, and these uber-bright spotlight things), and some mid-evening ambient light coming in through the windows. It's a good way to ALMOST catch MUSCLE flesh accurately. There's another room where I can use natural daylight through some spoecific windows to get the best pictures, but that depends greatly on weather. I have one good lamp for pictures, although again it depends on everything else in the room, including other surfaces that might get in the way or reflect light, even the shirt I might be wearing. My sig pic was taken in the first room, although only using the overhead spotlights. I also used my phone instead of my camera for that, although the phone ios often incapable on focusing on something like a single MUSCLE figure, it can do a group of them and be okay.

A lot of this is because my camera is beginning to age on me, but MUSCLE flesh is also hard to get right sometimes.

Edited by Ridureyu, 26 October 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#16 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

Wish you would have posted this idea before opening your pack. I was under the assumption that these figs were fairly common, as I have two sets of them out of the packaging that I have accumulated over the years in different lots of muscles.

#17 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

I have now fixed it, as well as correcting the size of the multiarmed group shot.

(edit) And don't worry. I like having them out of the packaging. They're actually FUN!

Edited by Ridureyu, 26 October 2011 - 01:26 PM.

#18 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

FKA: uoozuman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts
  • Interests:http://nama-niku.blogspot.com/

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

#077 - Fat Ash

#100 - Big Woody

#96 - Rhino

#166 - Kinnikuman Marp

You are a riot mate :lol:

Love all your in-depth posts.
Posted Image

#19 Jamesullivan

Jamesullivan

M.U.S.C.L.E. Champion 123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Self personal training, sports, RPGs, dogs, and lots of hot tea(black plain with no milk or sugar..though someimes I use a cinnamin or rock candy stick).

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

Cool, good way to gnaw it down to the bone.

This research reminds me of how Sunshine resembles all those old Japanese metal robots. Appearance wise it seems they are the same, but the slightest of change appears to be the result of avoiding copyright infringements!

Thanks for the in depth correct, analysis.

Edited by Jamesullivan, 26 October 2011 - 05:40 PM.

Fight for M.U.S.C.L.E.
On second thought, just watch.... M.U.S.C.L.E. Wrestling Videos

#20 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

Sunshine does greatly resemble Gold Lightan, and timing-wise, it would make sense (Cyborg Kid, a one-panel Chojin, also resembles somebody from another work). He is "officially" based on the gigantic Sunshine Building, but his yellow coloration really recalls LIghtan. Either way, their personality and power sets are completely different, although the inspiration was probably there.

#21 stoneyface

stoneyface

cthulhu cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts
  • Interests:muscle, satan cross!, cthulhu, vintage toys, biking, camping, burner community, deep house and psytrance raves.

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

6 armed goro is by far my favorite from this set. i have that one and he is my claw set display on my monitor. there is something about adding the extra arms that makes the figure awesome! this way it is more like the ashuramans! i just love this figure!

here are pics of mine! keep up the good work man.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Want a window into my demented mind? toys, movies, cool stuff around the world @ http://cthuluconnect.blogspot.com/

DMT= insert universe into cannon, aim at brain, fire.

ユデッキー - Yudekkii are you one? サタンクロス æ°¸é ã«!(satan cross forever!)
é¢ç™½ã„! happysmoke.gif

#22 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

UPDATE:

Another 4-pack is up on ebay!
http://www.ebay.com/...T-/140635920702

#23 stoneyface

stoneyface

cthulhu cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts
  • Interests:muscle, satan cross!, cthulhu, vintage toys, biking, camping, burner community, deep house and psytrance raves.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

ouch! $13 shipping! scam alert!

Want a window into my demented mind? toys, movies, cool stuff around the world @ http://cthuluconnect.blogspot.com/

DMT= insert universe into cannon, aim at brain, fire.

ユデッキー - Yudekkii are you one? サタンクロス æ°¸é ã«!(satan cross forever!)
é¢ç™½ã„! happysmoke.gif

#24 TOPHER

TOPHER

Chit Happens.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Interests:My Recording Studio, Video Games, Shelby Cobras, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle/Laser/Greek Beasts, MIMP+WIMP, Remco Mini Mashers, Figurines holding any kind of musical instrument, Weird Ball Wrestlers......

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

Shipping in Canada $9.00 :yahoo:
Wait a sec,I'm in Quebec the provence next to Onterio.
Yep,shipping sucks.

'On Sale' or 'For Sale'. It's really the same thing! The word, 'Sale' means YOU CAN BUY IT,
not that it is discounted. We as consumers are conditioned to think"On Sale"means it's cheaper.
Posted Image

#25 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

You could probably go drive to pick it up!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com