<ninja man in disguise. :)

#127 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

by the way... is it possible that the negative reaction on this forum caused the change from master-gator to the hot ram-cam?

I respect all of you, as well as your dedication to the old BB line, but... no. Especially since many of you wanted them to be more like the old figures!

The change was actually precipitated by IDW's use of an amazing artist, Valerio Schiti, and his detailed artwork made us want to up our game to match what the fans were going to read. I've seen some of his designs that aren't in the mini-comic, and they're spectacular. His take on the alligator is MUCH more impressive.

#128 BAPESTER

BAPESTER

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hi, Just wanted to say the sculpt for the new Ram looks awesome. I will be buying the series 1 and I will actually open them and play with them with my kids(4 and 7 years old) even though I am a MIB figure collector who is not a minimate fan. The only minimates I have ever bought were the ghostbusters(for me) and HALO ones(my 7 year old son). I understand the mixed reactions of the people on this board, but I still think that this is the best way to bring back the series in this timeline. Seriously if the Battle Beasts were put out not as the minimates it probably would have went the same way as the new MADBALLS released a couple years ago... Keep up the good work.

#129 Preacher

Preacher

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

I have no complaints whatsoever.

This is the world I live in:

A favorite toy from my ancient childhood is returning. Not just once, but under multiple guises and toymakers. I can pick, choose, mix, match and merge any and all if I want.
These aren't exactly the same as I had as a kid, but that's good. Because most of our toys SUCKED. Those memories you're having are discolored and distorted by the overwhelming sense of nostalgia. They're updated, as they should be. If I wanted the exact same toys, I could just go to ebay. I want something new yet familiar, and these deliver.
I can't stand Haiku.
It's not clever OR funny.
And requires no skill.

#130 fourth_heir

fourth_heir

halfway between Mars and Venus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Question to Zach: I note that in the preview comic, Vorin and his companions own a rather swanky aircraft - are we going to be seeing any vehicles attached to this line?

Visit my dA gallery to see my latest fanart (it's mainly TransFormers and Doctor Who but there is a Battle Beast gallery on there!)...
fhsig2.gif

#131 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

This has already been answered during the DST panel: no thought for vehicles at this time. If sales are good they will think about it. So we won't see any vehicles soon but I hope we will do one day. winter 2013 ?

#132 fourth_heir

fourth_heir

halfway between Mars and Venus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Ah well, one more excuse to buy lots of these ;) Thanks!

Visit my dA gallery to see my latest fanart (it's mainly TransFormers and Doctor Who but there is a Battle Beast gallery on there!)...
fhsig2.gif

#133 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

I look forward the the Mini-mate Battle Beasts, but I just wanted to know if anyone is creative enough to make a solid un-moveable core mini-mate body frame. What I mean is, an obvious problem with mini-mates is that they tend to get loose and in some cases so loose you can't even stand a figure up with out it falling down, so I'm just imagining this solid body frame with the arms spread forward and the legs positioned in a general squatting position, this frame would be one solid molded piece that allows the animal parts to slide on to the frame as if it were the original mini-mates frame, but would not allow for any articulation or addition posing/moving, the default pose would be like the original Battle Beasts with there arms lifted up to there chest as they would normally hold there weapons in the original and there legs in a squat position for added stability. If some animal pieces are a bit more complicated as far as there sculpting design goes then variation solid frames could be made to accommodate the more difficult reattachment to the solid mini-mate frame. What do you think, is it possible?
What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#134 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

I look forward the the Mini-mate Battle Beasts, but I just wanted to know if anyone is creative enough to make a solid un-moveable core mini-mate body frame. What I mean is, an obvious problem with mini-mates is that they tend to get loose and in some cases so loose you can't even stand a figure up with out it falling down, so I'm just imagining this solid body frame with the arms spread forward and the legs positioned in a general squatting position, this frame would be one solid molded piece that allows the animal parts to slide on to the frame as if it were the original mini-mates frame, but would not allow for any articulation or addition posing/moving, the default pose would be like the original Battle Beasts with there arms lifted up to there chest as they would normally hold there weapons in the original and there legs in a squat position for added stability. If some animal pieces are a bit more complicated as far as there sculpting design goes then variation solid frames could be made to accommodate the more difficult reattachment to the solid mini-mate frame. What do you think, is it possible?

There have been several (fairly) successful unsolicited attempts at moulding rigid minimates ,so I know it can be done.

I've also heard of people making teapots out of chocolate ......& a shepherd who bought a three-legged sheepdog to ensure it wouldn't run off :)

I mean no disrespect but surely you could put the Minimate in the 'default' pose ......erm....by posing it ? You might even decide to glue it in that pose! Whilst I'd be a liar if I said that I've never had a 'loose' Minimate ,saying that it is an "obvious problem" & that it is inevitable..... is unjustified .

#135 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

I look forward the the Mini-mate Battle Beasts, but I just wanted to know if anyone is creative enough to make a solid un-moveable core mini-mate body frame. What I mean is, an obvious problem with mini-mates is that they tend to get loose and in some cases so loose you can't even stand a figure up with out it falling down.

Buttheadsmate has definitely owned more Minimates than I have, but I've been posing them for photography purposes for ten years, and I have never seen or heard of a loose Minimate, aside from some rare neck-peg incompatibility (which shouldn't be an issue with these as they will all have unique heads). So if it is a problem, it is far from common. Articulation will be a strength with these toys, not a weakness to be overcome.

Also, any softness in the translucent red Vorin will not be an issue in solid-colored and/or painted pieces.

#136 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Posted Image

More pic in the Battle Beast Facebook but this one is my favorite.

#137 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

The beast collector in the boonies...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

That ram got crazy with the cherry Jolly Ranchers!

#138 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

That is a cool pic!

#139 mannakat

mannakat

Electro Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Creature junkie, werewolves, dinosaurs

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

These aren't exactly the same as I had as a kid, but that's good. Because most of our toys SUCKED. Those memories you're having are discolored and distorted by the overwhelming sense of nostalgia. They're updated, as they should be. If I wanted the exact same toys, I could just go to ebay. I want something new yet familiar, and these deliver.

You are confusing things that 'suck' with things that are simple, which do not always go hand-in-hand.

As for the whole 'it's just nostalgia' argument, it's a weak argument. It's saying people and collectors can't appreciate more simplistic designs as they age, and that they have to 'grow up' to really appreciate anything. Seems to me your viewpoint is one that is rather jaded.
Not everything needs to be updated, but making the attempt isn't something horrible either.

At the end of the day, I'll probably be buying the new figures, but don't know yet. The quips I have are things that could easily be modified (mostly beefing up the thighs) and wouldn't change things too much.

Edited by khaomera, 21 April 2012 - 06:55 AM.

#140 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

I think Beast Saga is doing it better, even with the chest dice gimmick.

#141 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

I will keep you informed when i will have the package in hands but I'm sure we will have mail exchange even before that.

I wonder what a clear red figure will look like with the grey armor.

#142 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Here's a pretty honest review:
http://www.actionfig...wn-and-thoughts

#143 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Honest review ?

They are 'Lego-like' & 'mostly share parts & are made different with different with additional accessories & custom paint-jobs'.....?

Lego-like ? Attached File  lego-captain-america-minifig.jpg   11.72K   8 downloads Attached File  fig1073flg.jpg   20.44K   10 downloads **

'mostly share parts & are made with blah blah blah ........' .....that describes every action-figure line on the market bar none.

** My thanks again to the Minimate Database.

#144 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

'mostly share parts & are made with blah blah blah ........' .....that describes every action-figure line on the market bar none.

Even the popular MOTUC figures share lot of parts. An action figures line doen't need to have all unique parts for every figures in the line. Look at the great Glyos figures. They are mostly made of the same parts but it doesn't stop me trying to get at least one of each color scheme made. As long as the figures look great, share parts is not a problem.

#145 mannakat

mannakat

Electro Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Creature junkie, werewolves, dinosaurs

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Honest review ?

They are 'Lego-like' & 'mostly share parts & are made different with different with additional accessories & custom paint-jobs'.....?

Lego-like ? Attached File  lego-captain-america-minifig.jpg   11.72K   8 downloads Attached File  fig1073flg.jpg   20.44K   10 downloads **

Yeah, that's pretty Lego like. Not Lego exact.

** My thanks again to the Minimate Database.

They do share a lot of parts, more than most, as the details are mostly in the paint job. Most action figure lines have more variation than that within the actual sculpts, and I'm not counting accessories.

#146 Kingjaja

Kingjaja

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Not sure if this question has been answered yet but any idea when we will see series one from DST?

#147 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

The full series 1 revelation will be made at SDCC in 3 months. I don't think we will se anything before or maybe just the SDCC 2-pack exclusive.

#148 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Series 1 will be revealed at SDCC, and should be out around October.

And while all Minimates get their articulation from the same base parts (albeit with some variations in structure), Battle Beasts will feature more sculpted parts than pretty much any line we've ever done. If you look at the ghosts from the Real Ghostbusters line, you'll see that the base body can be pretty well hidden, to the point of being unrecognizable. On Vorin, you can see basically the elbows and thighs, and that's pretty much it. I know that for some people that's TOO much, but anyone who saw the designs for BB Series 1 (very few of you, probably) know that Vorin is one of the least sculpted in the assortment.

But yeah, saying Minimates are Lego-like is like saying Marvel Legends are Secret Wars-esque. Not knocking Lego guys, but they're half the size and they don't do anything.

Talyn's review (not sure if that's an accurate term, since it doesn't really review the toys) MAY be tainted by a slight on my part. I... didn't give him a retailer promo. They were reserved for retailers, I didn't have many left, and I had never met him before. If he'd asked me, I would have given him whatever he wanted, but I had to introduce myself when I saw him shooting pictures, and he had a friend (whom I'd ALSO never met) ask me for the retailer promo while he stood there avoiding eye contact. Maybe it's just how he is, but if I'd just been able to talk to the guy I probably would have given him one. As it was, I gave one to anyone who said they were on LRG.

If you're reading this, Talyn, I'd love to read an actual review of the actual figure. Sorry if you had breakage on past Minimates. Toys that small occasionally break. I myself have more broken Kubricks than broken Minimates. (I also have broken vintage Battle Beasts... which broke 25 years ago.) But we do have a customer service e-mail for breakage.

574982_216165331829627_1612997880_n.jpg

#149 Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

Good, October is late enough I'll still be on budget when I buy these after getting wiped out through September with the Takara line. My biggest concern is if the weapons fit the hands, as the croc promo weapon did not work at all (though it was a leftover gun from another figure, IIRC)
Posted Image

#150 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:52 AM

The weapons fit the hands very nicely. Also in some of the photo I saw during the panel the weapons can contact forming bigger weapons. Nice feature. Zach, quick question: on the reverse of Vorin's shield beneath the handle is a piece (almost looks like a landing gear wheel) what is it?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com