Theme© by Fisana

- - - - -

Toys' Reactions to Paint, Chemicals, etc.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:22 AM

It looks like I'll finally get a proper toy room soon. Unfortunately it’s a little bit on the small side. So in an effort to maximize space I was planning on building some custom shelving with glass, or Plexiglas, fronts.

While I don’t know what the color scheme of the room will be, I know that I will probably want to do some painting. Does anyone know if certain paints could cause any damage to the toys or boxes?

Additionally, does anyone know of any potential pitfalls with various building materials?

Any help or suggestions would be immensely helpful! Thank you in advance to everyone.

#2 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:56 AM

With Paint I have had no problems with regular enamel based spray paint. It's cheap and dries quickly. You would want to prime the display, then sand it down if your using wood, then add 2 or 3 more coats to it. Also don't paint the back of the display cause if you want to take it down sometime later it may have bonded with the wall paint or left really nasty paint residue. I would let it cure for a couple of days if not a week so as to get any of that sticky texture to go away. If your using wood use something like pine or oak. Don't use particle board and if you use Plywood, you might want to trim it out. As far as a covering, Glass is a bit dangerous, so Plexiglass would be your best bet. You can cut it yourself and it's not as heavy as glass. I hope this gives you an idea, though someone else here may be able to help you out a bit better. Oh yeah! and if you screw it to the wall make sure you screw it to a stud. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#3 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:14 AM

Remember that Kinkeshi have a way of melting through hard plastics, like the kind used in the clear lids of the kinnikuman capsules, or the kind used to make the Kinnikuman Colloseum. Wierd chemical reaction. Doesn't affect the kinkeshi rubber, but it does melt the plastic and make it gooey over time.

#4 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:35 AM

I've had problems with Kinkeshi sticking to the paint or finish of some displays. For example, I got a wood golfball display from Walmart in which I used to house MUSCLEs, and the Kinkeshi eventually stuck to the paint/finish/whatever of the display. When I removed them, they actually took a bit of the paint with them. Watch out for those Kinkeshi bastitchs... their weird rubber can get nasty.

#5 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:37 AM

Just for precaustion, if you are going to put Kin on plastic, put a paper sheet under them to stand on.

#6 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:43 AM

Ok, thanks guys. :notme:

#7 arforbes

arforbes

I lied, I cheated, I got banned!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:50 PM

Remember that Kinkeshi have a way of melting through hard plastics, like the kind used in the clear lids of the kinnikuman capsules, or the kind used to make the Kinnikuman Colloseum. Wierd chemical reaction. Doesn't affect the kinkeshi rubber, but it does melt the plastic and make it gooey over time.

Same thing with the plastic case to the 205 Perfect Collection I have, certain areas of the container are almost melted all the way through. The figures left imprints of the figures on the inside where they made contact, pretty harsh those Kinkeshi are.

:notme:
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard
I was banned! Read ALL about it! http://www.littlerub...showtopic=23333

#1 on the LRG Dishonest Members list!

#8 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:10 PM

I have noticed that semi-gloss wall paint sticks to plastics, vinyls, etc... especially when heat and humidity are present.

Flat wall paint or even eggshell might not do that.

I haven't had any problems with my SHWANKY Bionicle wall hanging pouches for my G1's, kinnikuman, exogini, cosmix, panosh, etc...

You should looking into glass or plexiglass displays...IKEA has some killer stuff.

REMEMBER to keep ALL direct UV light away from your plastic treasures and ESPECIALLY ALL those pretty white Imperial forces you have amassed!!!

Glad to here you are gettin' a TOY ROOM!!! :notme:

TGB

#9 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:45 PM

Do florecent lights have an effect on MUSCLE plastic?

I could've sworn all of my Salmons were perfect, un'tanned' mint condition, but now about half of them are darker than the others... :notme:
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#10 GRANDTHEFT

GRANDTHEFT

a.k.a. MISCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:34 AM

Veers
when painting I personally use acrylics paints , i believe these would probably be the safest when muscle or other toys are used for display.
Also it's allot less messy than any type of enamels and they don't give off odors, water base paints are much easier to clean, I've actually painted my whole house
and used acrylics for inside and the finish was brilliant.

Mischa
There is a very fine line between
"Hobby" & "Mental illness"
................................................................................
I just want what every Muscle collector want's , MORE!
................................................................................

#11 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:30 AM

Totally off subject, but now that you are getting a toy room, you better post some pics of all of your Star Wars shizznit, I have been waiting forever to see your collection. Congrats on the house and toy room too by the way.

#12 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:44 AM

Thanks Doc, and thanks to everyone for the tips.

While I'm really excited to get my MUSCLE stuff a proper home, I really can't wait to get my Star Wars shizznit unpacked.

The best part - get ready for it - I'm going to open some of my MOC and MOMC stuff. :angry:

#13 EVOM

EVOM

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:11 AM

I have a plexiglass display case for some of my things including kinkeshi. So far I have not had any problems with the kinkeshi that are in it. This might be because I either use armor-all or a product called formula 2000 by turtle wax on all of my figures. I have been using these on many of my other toys as well including vinyl Godzilla figures for over 10 years now without any problems.

If You don`t want a shiny look on Your m.u.s.c.l.e.s or kinkeshi then don`t spray those on em, but if You don`t want to worry about uv rays or the feet of kinkeshi sticking to plexiglass or other surfaces then I highly recommend spraying them. :angry:

#14 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:40 AM

I have a plexiglass display case for some of my things including kinkeshi. So far I have not had any problems with the kinkeshi that are in it. This might be because I either use armor-all or a product called formula 2000 by turtle wax on all of my figures. I have been using these on many of my other toys as well including vinyl Godzilla figures for over 10 years now without any problems.

If You don`t want a shiny look on Your m.u.s.c.l.e.s or kinkeshi then don`t spray those on em, but if You don`t want to worry about uv rays or the feet of kinkeshi sticking to plexiglass or other surfaces then I highly recommend spraying them. :angry:

Armor all used to have a non-glare formula too. Essentially the same formula without the shine. Very useful for dashboards so you don't get the glare off the shiny surface--or if you don't like shiny tires (me) or ,presumably, toys.
Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

#15 Chibi Riya

Chibi Riya

PirateLord Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:45 PM

Well, for added decoration ideas, you can always find nice fabric and lay it down like a table cloth, just only on the shelves. I could suggest looking for those birthday table cloths with Star Wars theme on it for your Star Wars collection but that would be way too distracting from the toys so a simple color would do.

Wish I could say more but pretty much everyone else already covered the paint thing.

[ Yuujou Power ]
FULL ON FRIENDSHIP! 8D

#16 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:22 AM

The best part - get ready for it - I'm going to open some of my MOC and MOMC stuff.  :blink:

Isn't this one of the signs of the apocalypse?

#17 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:35 AM

probably not the right place to say this and well out of date, but anyway, yellow mini boglins (of the original 6 colours) are bast*rds for taking up colour from other things... for anyone that does collect mini boglins take a look at the yellow ones i bet some have red marks on em!
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

Abolish The Ninja Mites Section

#18 8bithorror

8bithorror

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

probably not the right place to say this and well out of date, but anyway, yellow mini boglins (of the original 6 colours) are bast*rds for taking up colour from other things... for anyone that does collect mini boglins take a look at the yellow ones i bet some have red marks on em!

Yup, about half my yellow mini boglins have red on them:(.

Edited by 8bithorror, 17 February 2008 - 11:06 AM.

#19 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:15 AM

Yup, about half my yellow mini boglins have red on them:(.

its strange isnt it, it happens to the green ones from the samurai tribe aswell same red marks. thinking about i dont actully know it they are taking the colour up or perhaps its a reaction to something else.
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

#20 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

This is actually a common problem with the Yellow keshi as well, both original eraser rubber and the newer glossy plastic.

#21 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

This is actually a common problem with the Yellow keshi as well, both original eraser rubber and the newer glossy plastic.

is there a known way of getting the colour out of the keshi? if so i could try it our on the boglins :lol:
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

#22 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:13 AM

You can burn the yellow Keshi. Turns 'em into brown colored lumps.

:lol:
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

#23 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:44 PM

Does this apply to all the Kinnikuman sizes, or did only the little guys get the acetone-heavy rubber? All i have from the Japanese line is my new 4 inchers ( :lol: ), and i'd like to know how i can safely display them. I also find myself looking pretty longingly at the SD keshi these days, so i guess that'd also be information i could use.

Right now i have my 4" guys on a pressboard bookshelf, but those do have that glossy plasticky surface....
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#24 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

Does this apply to all the Kinnikuman sizes, or did only the little guys get the acetone-heavy rubber? All i have from the Japanese line is my new 4 inchers ( ^_^ ), and i'd like to know how i can safely display them. I also find myself looking pretty longingly at the SD keshi these days, so i guess that'd also be information i could use.

Right now i have my 4" guys on a pressboard bookshelf, but those do have that glossy plasticky surface....

Yea, all of 'em turn into brown-colored lumps after you burn 'em.

#25 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:24 PM

Does this apply to all the Kinnikuman sizes, or did only the little guys get the acetone-heavy rubber? All i have from the Japanese line is my new 4 inchers ( ^_^ ), and i'd like to know how i can safely display them. I also find myself looking pretty longingly at the SD keshi these days, so i guess that'd also be information i could use.

Yea, all of 'em turn into brown-colored lumps after you burn 'em.

And knowing is half the battle! :D
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com