- - - - -

Web Design Questions

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:46 AM

I thought about posting my question in this thread, but I feel like even more questions will be coming so a new thread made sense.

I am a web design novice, and that is a pretty generous statement. I am using a website called HostMySite. I do not want to use their template stuff, but how do I upload something?

I know I have to learn the C++ (or whatever you guys recommended), but once I write it up how do I upload it?

And is there a ways to test it before uploading?

I know I need to buy a basic book, but I was just thinking about it today and thought you guys would probably have the answers.

Thank you in advance!

#2 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:03 AM

Once you write the html in notebook (or whichever text editing program you use) you save the document as an .html file. Save the file into a folder in your computer. You can open that file with your Internet browser by going up to File > Open File. That way, you can preview it and make any changes you need. (I recommend opening and viewing the file with a few different browsers to see how each browser renders it. It can be maddening how each browser sometimes renders a Web page differently.)

Once you are happy with the html code and your .html file, you need to upload it to your Web page host's server. In your case, you'll need to upload the file to your personal folder/server on HostMySite. In the future, when you create more pages (html files) for your site, you'll upload them as well.

In all seriousness, Veers, it sounds like your best bet is to read some Internet tutorials and/or get a basic Web page building book. Judging by this current question, you're bound to have many, many more that you haven't even thought or could know to ask at this point. From what I know of you, there is no doubt that you will be capable of creating a nice Web site. There's a steep learning curve at first with new terms and ideas, but once you get past the first big hill, you'll be fine.
Posted Image

#3 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:05 AM

And just for poops and giggles, if you want to see what the html for this page looks like, click on View > Page Source on the menu bar of your browser. (Keep in mind that this page is fairly complex because it's a forum page.)
Posted Image

#4 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:18 AM

And just for poops and giggles, if you want to see what the html for this page looks like, click on View > Page Source on the menu bar of your browser. (Keep in mind that this page is fairly complex because it's a forum page.)

That trick I already know. :D I've been using that to try and teach myself.

And yeah, I need to get a book. I think I know what I'll be doing for lunch for the next few weeks. :clapping:

EDIT - Oh yeah - Thanks!

Edited by General Veers, 07 November 2008 - 08:18 AM.

#5 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22221 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:45 AM

You don't need to learn C, just HTML and possibly a little javascript and CSS.

#6 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:01 AM

You don't need to learn C, just HTML and possibly a little Javascript and CSS.

Thanks, I knew it was something like that. :clapping:

#7 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:19 AM

I did a tiny bit of HTML in highschool. I've been wanting to try and relearn it and do some web pages to sort of document some of my collections. My Street Fighter Sota Collection and possibly a StarWars review site...thought that's nothing new. I just need to find the time and patience...and not be so lazy. :clapping:

I think my brother has an old C++ book laying around here too....I should try and find that.

Posted Image

#8 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:45 AM

I think my brother has an old C++ book laying around here too....I should try and find that.

Learning C and C++ would mostly be useful in that the more programing you know the easier it can be to learn a new programming language.

Html for sure and CSS for ease of making the look of pages uniform.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#9 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:12 AM

I would agree on the CSS. You only need BASIC knowledge of html to then start learning CSS. There are some really good tutorials out on the web that walk you through projects. Best bet to get some help from someone who knows html. Get them to show you some of the basics (tables, different tags like divs and spans, and esp styles). Then just start googling about CSS. It will show you how to start placing divs and you will be on your way. :lol:
Posted Image
---------------------------------------------------- アンドル ------------------------------------------------------------
______What I have for sale_______Beasts I still need_______Cards I still need_______My Collection______

#10 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

I'm going to hold you guys to this. If I find something isn't easy, I'm coming right to this thread. :lol:

#11 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:19 AM

I only know HTML. Then again, look at the website stuff I've done, and tell me how basic it is, and you'd be right.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#12 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

Just stumbled across this thread, and had to throw in my $0.02.

HTML is pretty basic, provided you have a knowledge of all the tags. However, manually typing the whole mess into the editor thing gets to be a real bee-eye-itch. That's the method I've used in the past when attempting to build Web pages using the free hosting sites. Were I to attempt to design a Web page using my own server, I'd take the easy (chicken-shizznit?) route and use Web page design software.

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#13 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:42 AM

First question.

The book I'm reading says I should put something at the top of the programming so that all browsers recognize the commands. I think my book is a little old, so I don't know if I should use what they say. I also don't always see these type of commands on other sites (when you look at page source). Any suggestions?

(I'd share the code it suggests, but I'm at work and don't have it with me.)

#14 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:53 AM

That depends on the command. You should do it if it's a declaration of the type of HTML you're using, like:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR.../frameset.dtd">

You don't really have to do this, but it makes it easier for different browsers to interpret your page. Is that what you're talking about?

#15 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:33 AM

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR.../frameset.dtd">

Yes, I know it was something like that. I also know that mine was different.

Is the one above the most basic version? Or should I say, most standard version?

#16 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22221 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:47 AM

I use this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /> 
<title></title>
<meta name="Author" content="" />
<meta content="" />
<link href="/snippets/main_css.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

</head>

#17 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

I suppose it depends on what you want to do. I use Transitional:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR...ml4/loose.dtd">

That's because I have a lot of HTML code on my site that's been depreciated, so I have to use a standard that's more flexible with old code. Here's a pretty good page that explains the different HTML standards:

http://htmlhelp.com/...or/doctype.html

I'm not sure which is the most standard of the standards, so if you're unsure, you could just use Transitional. It will give you more leeway with your code.

#18 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:53 AM

Thanks!

I think I'll go with the Transitional. I was looking at the list and couldn't come up with a good reason not to go with your suggestion.

#19 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

I know it is kind of cheating but I use Adobe Dreamweaver. Very nice program, and sometimes I will use frontpage. But Dreamweaver kicks ass once you get used to it.

WhiteLeo

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#20 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

Unless you have a free copy for Mac, I can't cheat.

#21 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:39 AM

Unless you have a free copy for Mac, I can't cheat.

Wish I had one I would sent it to you. :p

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#22 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with for free or inexpensive Mac-compatible Web page design software.

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#23 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

There was a thread somewhere else about some Mac-type software, but don't waste too much time. I figure I need to at least learn some basics if I'm ever going to have something that looks expertly crafted.

#24 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

Why would everything I type still be showing up as code?

Here's what I'm typing:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR...ml4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>The University of M.U.S.C.L.E.</title>
</head>

<body>
<p>
This is the permanent home of the University of M.U.S.C.L.E. There is a lot of information that needs to be posted. Please be patient as the site is constructed.
</p>
</body>
</html>

I've tried saving it as TXT and HTML and the same thing keeps happening.

#25 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22221 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

If the page is showing as code, there is something screwy with your web server's settings. HTML should process fine. Try renaming it to an .htm instead and see f that works.

This is what that code renders as on the LRG server:

http://littlerubberg.../images/mu.html

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com