7 replies to this topic

#1 warriorpriest

warriorpriest

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:21 AM

Is there any stl/cad files anywhere for Battle Beast figures or their weapons??

#2 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4080 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:45 AM

Is there any stl/cad files anywhere for Battle Beast figures or their weapons??

That would be cool if there were. But I have never seen any. 

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#3 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5047 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:27 AM

I'm actually working with a fellow to get some 3D scans of the original figures done.

He will make the files for sale when he gets them scanned. As I only currently had access to two of the figures, I will only be getting those two scanned. Ideally I'd like to get a good handful of them scanned for printing.

I don't know if I'll go the route of the weapons, too. He does the vintage Star Wars stuff, but seems to be missing weapons for every figure he has files for. Not sure if that's to prevent fakes flooding the market, or if he just doesn't have the weapons.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#4 warriorpriest

warriorpriest

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:25 AM

I'm actually working with a fellow to get some 3D scans of the original figures done.
He will make the files for sale when he gets them scanned. As I only currently had access to two of the figures, I will only be getting those two scanned. Ideally I'd like to get a good handful of them scanned for printing.
I don't know if I'll go the route of the weapons, too. He does the vintage Star Wars stuff, but seems to be missing weapons for every figure he has files for. Not sure if that's to prevent fakes flooding the market, or if he just doesn't have the weapons.

Well I am making repro weapons, but not in original colors to avoid what you mentioned above. I had a buddy recreate the Panda's sword and I made it in clear red resin. It looks so nice in his hands. I also want to make replacement arms for people that do customs or just want to fix up a damaged beast. These arms will be different and in a solid color so there is no mistake on if it is legit or not.

#5 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4080 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

Well I am making repro weapons, but not in original colors to avoid what you mentioned above. I had a buddy recreate the Panda's sword and I made it in clear red resin. It looks so nice in his hands. I also want to make replacement arms for people that do customs or just want to fix up a damaged beast. These arms will be different and in a solid color so there is no mistake on if it is legit or not.

That would be cool, because I can't tell you how many BB's I destroyed making customs back in the days. Would have been nice to have some replacement parts.

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#6 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1780 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:32 PM

I know there should be some 3D files around for certain figures because in the past there´s been a Blown Up Rabbit produced by OneShotToys which was scaled up like 5 times of the original size. And if I´m correct a few others have been trying to do something similar as well.

With 3D scanning and printing it becomes a whole lot easier to print replacement parts for broken figures so that´s definitely a solution I´d support.

And although at this moment in time, even though there are advanced 3D printers and techniques, I don´t think it´s a concern YET but having those files out there digitally can have quite an impact if people do start to print in colors identical to the originals. Luckily with the 3D software it shouldn´t be to hard to add a marking of some sort to the design in order to define it´s a 21st century 3D printed creation. This could prevent issues down the road with fellow and/or new collectors getting burned buying one as a vintage 80´s original figure.

Perfect, and if you´d be able to add a marking it would be even better!

Drop some pics when you have the time to share how the arms and weapons turned out.

Enjoy the Beasts!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#7 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5047 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:25 PM

And although at this moment in time, even though there are advanced 3D printers and techniques, I don´t think it´s a concern YET but having those files out there digitally can have quite an impact if people do start to print in colors identical to the originals.

It will literally never be a concern. The materials used in 3D printing are not at all like the original figures. Even if they could match the material, it would be very time consuming to try and paint an identical replica. It would just be easier to find an original to sell, than to create fakes to sell at the prices originals go for. (Not worth the effort for most of the line.) The only real concern here would be high-end lasers, but even then it would still be a challenge to match an injection-molded toy.

Your most basic printers, FDM printers, literally cannot print without leaving layer lines. SLA printers can print without layer lines, but currently only use harder materials like resin. So again, not a concern.

Long story short: 3D printing is in no way a threat to any vintage toy line except for MAYBE in accessories.

The guy I'm working with has finished up the Platypus and I'll be printing some big ones off to customize. I'll be sure to post them to LRG. Next up is the Cuttlefish.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#8 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5047 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:53 PM

I got my files for the Platypus and Cuttlefish.

Running off a big one at 6 inches. Going to take a little while to print.

Attached Files

<p> </p>
<p>

Copyright © 2020 LittleRubberGuys.com