Marvel Universe: Captain America

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:02 PM

MARVEL UNIVERSE: CAPTAIN AMERICA (Ultimate)

Stats
Company: Hasbro
Year: 2009
Size: 4 1/4" Inches
Price: $8.44 (Wal-Mart Stores)
Packaging: Carded

Well a couple people mentioned interest in the Captain America figure in particular, and personally he is one of my favorites so far. So I decided what would be better than a review and some Photos? Well...nothing I guess. :)

Sculpt: 5/5

I actually tried pretty hard to find a problem with this sculpt of Cap, but for the life of me I can't really find any. In fact compared to most of the current roster popped out by Hasbro, Captain is just simply one of the top 5 best and original sculpts thus far! I've really never understood exactly what kind of material Caps suit was made of, but I always assumed it was some form of mail or scaled skin armor. And every single scale is sculpted in, very evenly I might add. The Chest Star is sculpted out and raised as well. A very nice affect that stands out perfectly and adds an extra FLASH to the figure. The build of the figure is also perfect I feel. The musculature of the figure somewhat reminds me of the classic Captain America, and seeing how Hasbro is reusing every body type so far more than once, it's probably exactly what they were going for since we have about 3 or 4 more caps coming out this year. He appears to be very balanced in his sculpt as well, as I can't find any noticeable flaws in the symmetry of the sculpt...and if you have had as many Hasbro figures as I have, you will know Hasbro doesn't have perfect figures all the time, so this is really a nice rendition of the character for sure. I am especially fond of this Ultimate design with the laced boots and utility pockets on his belt, gloves, and boots. All of which is very nicely sculpted. He even has a canteen on his belt. I also really like the head sculpt of this figure. He looks like Cap, and head isn't out of scale like maybe many Star Wars figures Hasbro has made over the last 10 years seem to have. All these details are great, but something I've always liked about action figures is how detailed the sculptors sometimes are allowed to get! In fact a few of my favorite small details on this figure are the on the back and boots. Right down the center of the figures back there appears to be a zipper like seam running down through the mail which gives an awesome affect of realism to his costume. And his boots as mentioned feature sculpted in laces, and tread along the bottom of his boots, as well as wrinkles and seams around the tops of the boots. So for the size of this figure, the sculpting is quite top notch!

Paint Applications: 3/5

There are some major flaws in the paint applications, some of which made me want to just give him a 2, but there are also so many great paint apps on the figure that I wanted to give him a 4! Crap! Split the difference. So The Bad first. The worst and most disappointing points are on his face, MAJOR crapshoot here. The head is molded in blue plastic, so the white and flesh are painted on. The flesh color on the face and ears are just dead sloppy! there are spots under the chin not completely filled in, and there are spots on the face around the edges of the mask flowing over. One of his ears aren't completely painted either. The A on his mask is also a bit sloppy with some slight overflow along the edges of the A. Next the upper arms are molded in white plastic, and white can be pretty difficult to cover up. So there is some see through on the blue paint making the blue somewhat lighter in color from the rest of the costume. There are also some bare spots and severe show through around the upper edges of the arms where they connect to the Shoulder Ball. Of course I don't feel the arms detract too much from the figure, but if your picky you will for sure notice this.

Now the Good. There is a lot of good! The pockets, belt features, boot laces, shield, and chest star are all very well painted! The Star is simply perfect with a nice little black outline all the way around it, the shield is also very perfectly stenciled with the white and blue paint. The white on the shield is exceptionally done, as Red is a color that sometimes easily shows through white paints. All the pockets on the boots and gloves are nicely painted each with the small buttons painted silver on each of these as well as the belt pockets and silver buckle. Nice and clean! The laces are also nicely done too. Also a nice feature on this line so far is the wonderful paint washes, and cap has very nice dark blue paint washes all over his suit, as well as dark brown wash on his gloves and boots. All of the washs really pop the small details such as the scaled armor and wrinkles in the boots. Also on a small note, despite the sloppy face paint the eyes are pretty clean for their tiny size. And last but not least, the Red stripes on his mid section are all clean and straight. So you can see why I wanted to give him a higher score. If only the face was better.

Articulation: 3/5

Well Cap has plenty of Articulation. Ball neck, Hinge/Swivel shoulders, Swivel upper arms, Hinge elbows, Swivel wrists, Swivel/Ball chest, Ball-pin hips, Double Hinge knees, Swivel boots, and Hinged ankles. So he has a very substantial range of motion on the figure. Most of his joints are nice and sturdy as well. However his wrists are a bit loose, and this isn't good when trying to pose him with his shield sometimes, as the wrist will occasionally fall with the weight of the shield depending on the position. Also a problem I have is the chest movement in the Sway and Lean department is very low. He can swivel all day, but there isn't much else able to go on in that area, it's apparent I think that Hasbro is still in the experimenting stages of articulation with this line, as we have seen a number of different styles so far with the different body types. Caps is one of those different body types for sure. Other than that, all his joints have decent range, and allows for many great poses on this nifty figure! Go get em Captain!

Accessories: 4/5

Well, I don't know alot about the Ultimate series, as I don't really care for it. I'm still quite happily stuck in the 70's and 80's era of marvel. However I think I recall some images where Ultimate Cap wasn't shy about using firearms...correct me if I'm wrong. But I think this figure could have really used a pistol of some kind....maybe a Luger. :p But I have to say, I am very pleased with the shield! Hasbro put alot of thought into the use of the shield. It's perfect in design. It has 2 stretchy straps which not only make the shield have a realistic appeal to it, but these straps allow you to strap the shield around Caps shoulders on his back, for an neato relaxed pose like from the comics when Cap walks around in the Avengers complex. There is also a little ring clip to so you can clasp the shield to Cap's wrist. A very great accessory and obviously important to the figure.

Quality: 4/5

The plastic used for the figure is okay, I'm not sure about it yet though. I havn't had one of my MU figs break yet, but I can imagine that these things aren't exactly made for kids so much as they are for collectors. I'm just really unsure about the lifespan that the arms and chest may have. The figure just feels fragile around these spots, though he appears to take some solid movement pretty well. All this may really be due to the softness of the plastic. As there is quite some give to it around the joints. So it's soft and sturdy, which can kind of get confusing really...you tend to try and be careful while posing them. However I'm confident that dropping, and probably even throwing the figure wouldn't hurt it too bad.

Cost: 2/5

YIKES! Over $8 bucks for a 4" inch fig is just harsh! Given some of the loose joints and bad paint spots it doesn't help matters either. The price needs to drop at least $2 bucks before I will actually feel happy about the cost on these things. Really sucks that this guy is almost 3 times the cost that a Ninja Turtle used to be. :(

Availability: 3/5

Despite the apparent death price on these figures, supply and demand has kept these guys steadily off the shelf. You have to really get to the store at the perfect time if you don't want to find nothing but Spideys and Torchs. I've only seen 2 caps since I've started collecting, so it's obvious that he is one of the better demand figures. But still he should be quite available online, so you shouldn't be paying more than the retail price in my opinion. And Hasbro has been nicely repacking older wave figures in with newer waves so far due to the high demand for this still fresh and thriving toy line.

Cool Factor: 5/5

Well there is something about Captain America that is and will always be cool. He is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the entire world for sure! Cap has fought monsters, aliens, robots, and Nazis in his lifetime as the protector of the American way. So maybe Ultimate Cap isn't the original, but he still carries that torch that cap had. Being one the original forefathers of the American comic generation, as well as an adamant survivor over the past decades he has solidified his position in every comic fans heart. Cap is Cool and that's all there is too it. And I'm sure if the Japanese sent all their giant robots and super saiyans to stop him he would find some off the wall way to win. ;)

Average Score: 3.6/5

An average score for your average American hero. :) The figure isn't bad really, and is quite fun. So don't feel bad about leaving him mint on card, but also enjoy the heck out of him if you decide to play with him. He will be nice to look at either way guys.

Attached Files

Edited by Universal Ruler Supreme, 04 July 2009 - 05:10 PM.

Posted Image

#2 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

great review. i especially love the avengers pics. in regards to caps paint apps, of course this is unique to every figure, but the one i saw in the store had perfect paint apps to the head and body. i don't recall the boot laces, mostly because i was transfixed by how great the head and face detail looked. so i believe that there are quality specimens to be had out there.

as for the accessories, how dare you suggest cap carry a german handgun! :) he'd be boss with a smith & wesson .44 magnum.

i think i'm going to have to make him a custom old school shield in the classic triangular design.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#3 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:58 AM

as for the accessories, how dare you suggest cap carry a german handgun! :) he'd be boss with a smith & wesson .44 magnum.

i think i'm going to have to make him a custom old school shield in the classic triangular design.

Haha! I actually said that on purpose. :p I was going to type revolver or something, but figured I'd see if someone had a problem with a Luger. :) I forgot that Union Jack comes with a revolver, I should have taken a pic with him using it.

I think there may be a Cap eventually who will come with the Triangular shield. I would like to have one for sure. In fact I'd like to have a maskless version of cap, as well as the half cap, and helmet/mask version. Cap is such a fun character that I really won't mind if there are like 10 different figures of him. :(

Posted Image

#4 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:08 AM

didn't really like union jack's gun. maybe the samaritan that comes with the hellboy 3-3/4" figure by mezco could work.

#5 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:51 AM

I've been wanting to pick up this figure pretty badly, but (with the exception of Iron Man) i'm trying to limit the amount of versions of a character that i buy this time around. So i'm forced to wait until the Secret Wars 2-packs hit, because i really want that Klaw as well. I can only hope that Cap is as well done! I assume it'll just have a new head, and probably brighter paint?

I love that it's got shield straps and hope the next one does too...makes me happy to have the "shield on the back" option.
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#6 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:30 AM

Didn't Cap spend a lot of time behind enemy lines, if so it seems like he would be very comfortable with a german made gun. You may not be able to find .45 acp.

#7 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

I've been wanting to pick up this figure pretty badly, but (with the exception of Iron Man) i'm trying to limit the amount of versions of a character that i buy this time around. So i'm forced to wait until the Secret Wars 2-packs hit, because i really want that Klaw as well. I can only hope that Cap is as well done! I assume it'll just have a new head, and probably brighter paint?

I love that it's got shield straps and hope the next one does too...makes me happy to have the "shield on the back" option.

witch the exception of a few figures that are only average, this line has been pretty good. i'd expect the 2-pack cap to be on the same level of quality as this first one.

#8 Battlechaser7

Battlechaser7

Epicurian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

witch the exception of a few figures that are only average, this line has been pretty good. i'd expect the 2-pack cap to be on the same level of quality as this first one.

As a collector I tend to collect all of something I really like. This started with old school G.I. joes, G1 transformers and the original secret wars figures (Make mine Marvel, the DC movies might rock and the more adult content books definitely do but I have always been bias to Marvel Comics). I could not be happier that this line is doing well. As much as I tried to resist because of the characters I didn't like I caved in and am happy as hell that I did. The only thing I would change is the outrageous price per figure. I can understand the exclusives like sdcc but the crap they did with Nick Fury did grind my gears, but I still bought it. Cap in particular is represented almost as much as Iron Man with the 2 sdcc versions both Black and White and the set. I hope they do more variation such as the old school shield or classic versions that not only wouldnt bother but I would love the variation such as the differences in Iron Man much more than shelling out 40 for a black and white version or 70 for the sdcc set.

Best,
Chris
キン肉マン

I buy toys, So I can sell toys, So I can buy more toys...

My Need toys link--Please check out for trades, updated as trades occur
need toys
My Available Trades
got toys

#9 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

Well, I'm a big Classic Avengers fan, so you guys can count on some more Group photos and maybe even some Cover homages in the future as the Avengers roster fills out in this line. I hope sooner than later, and especially when it comes to so many of the great villains! I need an Ultron, Taskmaster, High Evolutionary, Absorbing Man, and any other other cool villains.

Posted Image

#10 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

Nice review! Now I want to track one down! :rofl: I picked up Hulk today and think he is pretty good. I really want a Red Hulk to duel with. If I had a Cap I'd try to set up the cover of a Cap issue (I forgetthe number) Where it is a close up of Hulk's fist pounding Cap's shield, and Cap is getting smooshed against the wall.

Edit here it is:
Attached File  230_16.jpg   56.89K   2 downloads

Edited by Ghost Lion, 07 July 2009 - 06:56 PM.

#11 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:20 AM

Thanks! I'd really like to try to do some Cover shots myself if I get the chance. By the by, does anyone else have a request for the next MU review? I have all the figs right now except Gray Hulk, so if anybody is curios about a specific character or Body type feel free to start some kind of nomination. :rofl: There's already so many out it's hard to choose one.

I already plan on doing a couple Secret Wars pack reviews when they come out and if I can get my paws on them.

Posted Image

#12 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5100 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:30 AM

I'd like to see one of Bullseye myself. I've heard he's one of the better early figures in the line, and he's a figure I'd sorta like (Thunderbolts fan here) except I've never seen one in person. I would appreciate someone I know letting me down gently if he actually uses the Silver Surfer body or some shizznit.

#13 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

Hmm, sounds like a plan. The thing about these figs, is you can pretty much use one review to hit about 3 or more figs at once since so many use the same body! :)

I'll see if I can get the time to do one for BE soon.

Posted Image

#14 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

I'm curious on your thoughts on the Goblins, they look like intresting figures.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com