• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1464 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

I just noticed the Bongo (Gorilla) Meiji card Andrew posted in the card pix sticky thread and noticed the picture of the SD ape on the back. I know for the other Meiji cards I've seen, the pic on the back looks just like their SD counterpart, of which no Gorilla exists to my knowledge. Anybody know anything about this?

-Barry

#2 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:06 AM

:)

I can't hold off any longer! Still some bugs to be worked out and more info to be added, but check this out for now.

BB Super Deformed History by Matthewfitz.

Thanks to White Leo for the Meiji Box translations!

Edited by Soupie, 21 February 2007 - 05:22 AM.

Posted Image

#3 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:29 AM

Yo man,
If you want I have better up close scans of those panphlets. You took the pic off the auction I won, but if you look in the "card scans here" thread I posted the scans in there.....I think. If not let me know and Ill post them again. :biggrin:
Posted Image
---------------------------------------------------- アンドル ------------------------------------------------------------
______What I have for sale_______Beasts I still need_______Cards I still need_______My Collection______

#4 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:51 AM

I can't hold off any longer! Still some bugs to be worked out and more info to be added, but check this out for now.

Marty should make those 17 unmade SDs like he made the Godbeasts.

#5 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:01 AM

Yo man,
If you want I have better up close scans of those panphlets. You took the pic off the auction I won, but if you look in the "card scans here" thread I posted the scans in there.....I think. If not let me know and Ill post them again. :biggrin:

Really?! Thanks man! Yeah, the picture is there and I was eyeing it up, haha!

I don't want to be treading on the Price Guide's territory, but I'd really like to devote a section of the archive to the Meiji gold cards as well... Could I use those scans as well?

Like I said, there are still some bugs to work out, etc., but when all is set up, I'm going to be asking for contributers to share images of their SDs and Gold Cards.

That's exactly what I've been thinking!

e+
Posted Image

#6 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:51 AM

I've actualy been working on that myself...Chameleon is almost done :)

Posted Image

#7 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:03 AM

That is fine with me (just throw my name in somewhere :biggrin: ). I have almost all the SDs (missing one) and most of the Menji Cards that are in the guide. I think Yaggi and lord maybe have the rest.
Posted Image
---------------------------------------------------- アンドル ------------------------------------------------------------
______What I have for sale_______Beasts I still need_______Cards I still need_______My Collection______

#8 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:18 AM

I don't want to be treading on the Price Guide's territory, but I'd really like to devote a section of the archive to the Meiji gold cards as well... Could I use those scans as well?

Damn, you guys did a hell of a job! As far as the above statement, feel free to use any of the site's images for your archives. The only time I pitch a fit on images is when some scammer on eGay is trying to pass them off as his own.

#9 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:28 AM

I just noticed the Bongo (Gorilla) Meiji card Andrew posted in the card pix sticky thread and noticed the picture of the SD ape on the back. I know for the other Meiji cards I've seen, the pic on the back looks just like their SD counterpart, of which no Gorilla exists to my knowledge. Anybody know anything about this?

-Barry

back to the original question...

looking at the inforamation available my guess (and it is only a guess) is that if the 17 (maybe more) unmade figures were ever planned for release it would have been in the very early stages.

I only say this because of the order in which the SD beasts are numbered:

1-16: Series 1
17-18 Series 2
19-20 Series 3

It seems a bit strange that there are so many Series 1 beasts, then just 2 of each other series stuck on the end.

Maybe they planned on having 3 series of SDs just like the regular sized beasts and then changed they're mind at the last minute and either stuck the four extra on or replaced 4 series one figures?

Further information to support the series 2 and 3 figures being a change of plan is the numbers of the weapons attached to the figures, 4 are out of order, the rest run consecutively

Posted Image

#10 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• 1464 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:55 AM

but then there's also the fact that the gorilla meiji card has the number 30 on it as opposed to its series 1 number. how does that factor in to the mystery? maybe it was slted for a series 2 run of the sds?

#11 Shadow Bat

Shadow Bat

Serious Collector

• 360 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:15 AM

How about Godbeast SDs?

#12 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:16 AM

but then there's also the fact that the gorilla meiji card has the number 30 on it as opposed to its series 1 number. how does that factor in to the mystery? maybe it was slted for a series 2 run of the sds?

Did you even read the info on the archive page I linked to?

Posted Image

#13 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

That's some cool shizznit guys. I like the page layout, nice pics too.
Formally known as Artimus Prime

#14 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

Sorry that that last reply sounded smart-assish...

Maybe I didn't understand your question, but Matthew did point out that none of the SDs, with the exception of Pirate Lion, had the same number as their regular BB counterpart.

And I think Matthew did conclude that the Gorilla and other figures were "slated" to become SDs, but for some reason were never made. Again, maybe I just don't understand what you're asking.

Each of the twenty SD Beasts was given a new, almost random, number that differed from their regular Battle Beast counterpart with the exception of Pirate Lion who retained his status as number one.

Posted Image

#15 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Jkaris, CCV for allowing us to use the pics and stuff! I'll be sure to give cedit.

Artimus, thanks!

Posted Image

#16 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• 1464 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

You must have just misunderstood what I was saying, yes the numbers were random on the first 20 but the gorilla is number 30... which is GREATER than 20 :tongue: ... therefore adding evidence that it should be appearing in a second run (perhaps 21-37) based on its higher number

Sorry but I don't see where that insight was referenced in the archive page, all the archive stated was that there were (at least) 17 that didn't get made

does anyone know if all the meiji cards were released at the same time or did just 1-20 come out first and the rest in a different run?

#17 Shadow Bat

Shadow Bat

Serious Collector

• 360 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:07 PM

Maybe I didn't understand your question, but Matthew did point out that none of the SDs, with the exception of Pirate Lion, had the same number as their regular BB counterpart.

Don't the fox and alligator match up too?

#18 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

Sorry but I don't see where that insight was referenced in the archive page, all the archive stated was that there were (at least) 17 that didn't get made

Oh, I see, haha, I guess Matthew should have been more specific! Here's what he did write though:

There are at least another seventeen (17) more cards showing new images of different Super Deformed Beasts and their weapons:

These gold cards from Meiji came in the box with the candy and figures and also in smaller packs of green and white candy without any figure.

Sadly only twenty Super Deformed Beasts were released but at least we have images of what could have been....

Hm, I guess I'll have to re-write that to make it clearer, but I think it's pretty clear that the understanding is that more than 20 SDs were planned, but for whatever reason only the 20 were made.

The other interesting thing, and THIS may be your point that I'm not getting, but Gorilla was a Series One Beast (#13) but was not made, while four non-Series One Beasts managed to make it into the 20 SD Beasts.

(Incidentally, Kickback kangaroo was a Series Two Beast and #35, but as a SD Beast he was "slated" to be #37.

Matthew touched on this here in this thread:

Maybe they planned on having 3 series of SDs just like the regular sized beasts and then changed they're mind at the last minute and either stuck the four extra on or replaced 4 series one figures?

In any case, I think Matthew's whole purpose in saying "Sadly only twenty Super Deformed Beasts were released but at least we have images of what could have been...." was to imply that it looks like there could have been more SDs.

I thought, at least, that the existence of the cards indicated that more SDs had been planned... I'll be sure to make that more clear in the history. Thanks!

Edited by Soupie, 21 February 2007 - 12:38 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

Don't the fox and alligator match up too?

Yep, it looks like they do! Thanks!

:yes:
Posted Image

#20 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:52 PM

I guess I'm still not exactly sure what "insight" you mean, but the other obvious thing of course is that the Gold Card for #37 Kickback Kangaroo is pictured on the archive. I assume that Kickback is the hightest numbered SD/Gold Card found thus far, which is how Matthew arrived at 17 non-made SDs (37 - 20 = 17).

The title of this thread is: "Were more SDs planned?" I think the fact that Matthew states that there were at least 17 SDs that could have been, answers that question, haha.

Again, with the existence of Kickback's #37 Gold Card, I think the natural assumption is that he -- along with the other 16 higher-than-#20-cards -- was a planned SD that never got made.

does anyone know if all the meiji cards were released at the same time or did just 1-20 come out first and the rest in a different run?

That's a good question. It looks like the date on the Meiji packaging is 1988, so unless another date is discovered, we can assume that they were all released in 1988, but I suppose we can't know for sure.

Edited by Soupie, 21 February 2007 - 12:56 PM.

Posted Image

#21 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

Soupie where did you get the Menji card for the Kangaroo? Is that yours or someone else's?
Posted Image

#22 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:57 PM

Soupie where did you get the Menji card for the Kangaroo? Is that yours or someone else's?

Not mine, unfortunately. I got the image from Matthew.

(On a side note, Hydra recently PM's saying he picked up a bunch of Gold Cards. Hopefully he will be posting them here at some point!)
Posted Image

#23 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

I just thought of something. Anyone know why the SDs weapons are not always in the same places? Take for instance the bat. The picture in the guide shows the weapon coming off the top of the wing, mine on the other hand has the weapon coming off the bottom of the wing. I also noticed that on some of mine there are places where extra plastic hangs off. Could they have produced them in a large sheet and then broken them apart for distribution? Hahahaha....can you imagine how pricey it would be to get a sheet of SDs all together. :blink: :shok: :yes:

Edited by CCVegita, 22 February 2007 - 06:02 AM.

Posted Image

#24 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

wow, I go out for a few hours and this thread has exploded!!!

BEAST NUMBERS
okay looks like I made an error, with the number of Gator and Fox (haha, sorry Soups!). Hmm, maybe Gator was kept at that number because he is the other 'main character' along with Pirate Lion and the Fox just happened to fall in place? I suppose that's open to speculation?

HOW MANY
the 'at least 17' comment did come from the fact thet the kangaroo at 37 is the highest card I've seen. I wanted to stick to fact rather than speculation on the site. Maybe those cards that Hydra has will push us past the 37 mark? I hope so. I hope it also fills in the gaps so we can see if any further patterns develop post the first 20.

WEAPONS WHERE?
I raised the 'weapon on which side' issue with Soupie when I wrote the history. The bat is the only figure I have seen with the weapon on the other side and this image is only on the price guide/checklist. At first I thought maybe that the molds had figures on each side of a runner with the left hand side having the weapons on the left side and the right on the right (Like some 2-part kinkeshi). I took a closer look at the Bat image and I'm not 100% sure it has not been reattached at some point on the wrong side. The weapon is completely back to front with the number at the front rather than the back and the small piece of rubber that joins it to the figure looks different to all other figures.
Does anyone know who's this image is? Maybe whoever owns the figure can take a close look at it? Until I see another figure with the weapon on the other side, I'm convinced that the bat in the price guide is not authentic.

I'm glad that errors have been picked up and questions have been raised - the exciting thing about the SD/Meiji stuff is that it's a relative unknown entity so input/images/ideas are still being put out there for the first time.

I hope people keep having an input as new stuff comes up :yes:

Posted Image

#25 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

Hey, man, check out the date at the bottom of the #37 Kickback Kangaroo Meiji Gold card!

Attached Files

Edited by Soupie, 21 February 2007 - 06:20 PM.

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com