• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TwoHeadedBoy

TwoHeadedBoy

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:Monster In My Pocket, Thingz That Go Bump In The Night, Mighty Max, TMNT, Boglins, cheap and nasty monsters of any sort...

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

Hi gang,

So, I was just browsing around on that collector's site thingy, when I noticed something troubling.

This, to be exact:
Posted Image

I'd never seen this figure until yesterday, whilst browsing. When the Super Scary figures first came out, I got both of the 12-packs for Xmas, and you'd think that'd make for a complete set, right? That's what I was thinking until yesterday. I did some more investigating, and found this:

Posted Image

and this:

Posted Image

As you might be able to see there, the Dybukk figure is included in both packages.
Posted Image

This triggered a flashback of sorts, of me having two of the same figure on Xmas day, and giving the spare to one of my neighbors at the time.
Anyone have any idea why they decided the UK wouldn't be getting the Hanuman figure? He wasn't even listed in the checklist/brochure thingy!

It's perplexing, to say the least, oh yes.

My comics blog - mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s
Collection Piccies!
Identify these toys?

WANT/NEED! Warmonger (from Mighty Max's Skull Mountain), will trade for Alien Magic!

#2 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

It's not perplexing at all if you know what Hanuman is. The MIMP series had this bad habit of taking characters and actual gods from Hindu mythology. Kali in series 1, Ganesha in series 2, and well, they just had to have someone for series 4! Because apparently, having to completely overhaul your toyline to omit an offensive character twice before wasn't enough.

This change never happened in the US release though, but did in the UK. That's why Dybukk appeared twice, taking his spot in one of the sets.

#3 TwoHeadedBoy

TwoHeadedBoy

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:Monster In My Pocket, Thingz That Go Bump In The Night, Mighty Max, TMNT, Boglins, cheap and nasty monsters of any sort...

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

It's not perplexing at all if you know what Hanuman is. The MIMP series had this bad habit of taking characters and actual gods from Hindu mythology. Kali in series 1, Ganesha in series 2, and well, they just had to have someone for series 4! Because apparently, having to completely overhaul your toyline to omit an offensive character twice before wasn't enough.

This change never happened in the US release though, but did in the UK. That's why Dybukk appeared twice, taking his spot in one of the sets.

Interesting, I should have thought of that. I have numerous Kalis and Ganeshas, suppose I have to track down Hanuman now, or I'll never sleep soundly again.

Thanks for the information, that's that cleared up :)

Edited by TwoHeadedBoy, 13 January 2009 - 07:06 PM.

Collection Piccies!
Identify these toys?

WANT/NEED! Warmonger (from Mighty Max's Skull Mountain), will trade for Alien Magic!

#4 Acidonia

Acidonia

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

My Uk 12-pack have Hanuman its a green one in it so it must be later made ones that don,t. just like with the series 2 pack with Ganesha. Although i Have a few of him and Kali.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Malosavich

Malosavich

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Boglins, Mini-Boglins, MIMP, P.E.T Aliens, Gormiti, Fistful of power, M.U.S.C.L.E and Starwars :D

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

My UK 6 Pack Also has a Hanuman in it, and it's a GitD one, so this figure seems to have deffinatly been available in the UK at one time,
Posted Image

#6 TwoHeadedBoy

TwoHeadedBoy

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

I'm obviously missing out then. Anyone got a Hanuman they'd want to sell me? Say, £2? As soon as I get my PayPal working again, mind you.

Collection Piccies!
Identify these toys?

#7 PSlulitt

PSlulitt

MIMP Fiend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

Actually, I'm from the U.S. and got two series 4 12-packs one Christmas many years back with the same switch (salmon Dybbuk). I never even pieced it together as a kid. In fact, never even completed my series 4 collection until I finally traded something for a Hanuman last year!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com