31 replies to this topic

#1 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

I want to share with you an episode which has really shaken and upset me, and it concerns a member of this forum who, in his greedy desire to monopolise one particular toyline, has gone to extremely underhand lengths to deprive me of something that was rightfully mine.

The LRG member in question is 12345 AKA Gavin Arner, eBay username nodecorumintheforum.

I was browsing eBay on Monday evening, as I do, when I happened upon a new auction for Monster In My Pocket. Of course, I noticed straight away it had a couple of Bad Eggz Bunch figures in.

I asked the seller if they would be willing to sell it to me as a Buy It Now listing; they were extremely keen, and a fee of £30 was quickly agreed. I purchased the item and paid straight away. Everyone was happy.

Tuesday morning I got a message from the seller. Apparently someone had messaged her to let her know that the figures in the auction were "worth up to £100 each" and that I had ripped her off, and that she needed to discuss it with her husband before sending my figures out.

Of course, I was mortified, and I asked her who had messaged her; this is a niche toyline and there aren't that many collectors, and who on earth would be browsing through my completed listings to see what I had won? She informed me it was the user nodecorumintheforum.

I have to tell you I was shocked that this person would do something like this! This is someone with whom I had no beef at all, someone I considered myself to be on good terms with, with whom I had only recently discussed trading figures and someone I hoped to trade with in the future - yet he couldn't bear to see me get a good deal? That was, and is, really hard for me to accept.

Of course, I was aware of Gavin's single-minded and aggressive collecting style. If you're anything like me, chances are you've been outbid by him numerous times on eBay and this board over the past year. I can accept that though; it goes with the territory, he has deep pockets, and you have to try to build your collection in other ways.

Indeed, I got an insight into Gavin's character early on; we were both bidding on a Bad Eggz figure, but as I was aware that he would outbid me, as he always did, I told him I would stand aside on this one to prevent him shelling out too much for it. He picked it up for the bargain price of £25, probably half of what it would otherwise have gone for. He never returned the favour. Nevertheless, I never had any bad feelings towards him because of it, and only the other week we were talking about trading Secret Skeleton dinos.

Back to the story: after a few frantic emails and a day of fretting, the seller acknowledged we had an agreement and promised to send out my figures today. But this evening she has refunded my payment, informing me that she is keeping the figures, and that the negative feedback will be worth it.

Of course, I suspect she has a sale lined up with someone else, and you don't need to be Stephen Hawking to do the mathematics there.

And that's the whole sorry tale. Someone with an already gargantuan collection has gone behind my back to sabotage a deal I made and induced another person to break a contract, and all because they were envious of me getting a bargain and they wanted the figures for themself.

Of course, I can't tell anyone else what to do, but I don't believe that this person who has done this to me is a worthy member of this community. It's such a douchebaggy thing to do to a fellow forum member. People are supposed to look out for each other here, not screw them over for a piece of plastic. What should be a fun hobby has become a source of unnecessary stress and bitter upset for me and I am sick to my stomach at this remorseless and jealous behaviour from another forum member.

Everything in this post is 100% completely true and verifiable.

Enjoy your bits of plastic Gavin, I hope they were worth it, I really do.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#2 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

Wow, that sucks man. What a douche bag. He's definitely on my list of people not to trade or sale to.

#3 sherrie

sherrie

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts
  • Interests:toys, computers, games, reading

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

that is so underhanded and mean. Not worthy of a board member.
If you bought these figures legit, through a BIN she set up, then I would fight for them. Ebay will back you. You will either get your figures or she will get worse than negative feedback from ebay for what did.

Don't give up yet.....

Selling on Ebay as Kinnikumart

Check out my Ebay Auctions
HERE

My Store is now Closed!
Selling on Ebay and here on the Forum too!. Pm me or email me.

#4 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

Its ****** when someone on this board erodes your faith in human decency and trust doesnt it?
I had something happen to me here on this board a year back and i havent gone public about it but rest assured i felt the same way.

Ultimately there isnt anything more that you can do about it than what youve done.

Edited by Articulationnut, 02 June 2010 - 12:04 PM.

Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#5 Merovingian

Merovingian

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E. & NKE 6.0 Mutants

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

I agree, pretty lame.

But from the sellers PoV, you'd be pretty upset if you sold something for $30 later to find out it was worth $300... right?

Personally, I try and do my research before I put ANYTHING up on ebay, but some people dont.

E-Bay in general has gone off a cliff in the past few years, small 'garage sale' type sellers are a much smaller percentage, replaced with garage businesses doing anything for a buck and international scam artists... all the whole ebay raises their fees over and over on both the ebay and paypal side screwing you coming and going...

Woah! Going off topic... Back on track...

I understand where the seller is coming from, how much were the figures really worth?

I can't say that if I saw an auction that I was interested in and was bidding on go for $30 and was ended early and that I knew for a fact that the item was worth $300 and was willing to pay that I wouldn't say something... but as far as going after a particular member of the lrg community or being vindictive about anything thats pretty lame.

In defense of this guy, (I don't know him), he may have not said something like "OMG Why you sell that auction for 30, it was worth 300$ LOL U GOT SCREWED!!2131!!2 HAHAHAHAH!!11"

It could have been more along the lines of, "Hey, I was interested in that particular auction and had it in my watch list, I was willing to pay upto 300$ for it, and was the high bidder till my bids were cancled. Why did you end it early?"

He could have said either one and the seller could have still said the same thing to you, and you'd not know the difference.

Any time I make a 'buy out offer' on an item its a fair offer...

There is alot about this situation that is pretty shady morality wise...

If the Whole auction is worth over $300 and you offered her $30, thats kinda lame too you know?

Getting a good deal is one thing, But going out of your way to screw someone else is bad form... as a buyer, a seller, or as a 3rd party.
~ Merovingian ~
http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30320&view=findpost&p=264442

#6 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

That sucks. :down: Although, to be fair, the part that sucks could vary from person to person.

I happen to hate when people offer BIN's to sellers when there isn't a BIN. I'd rather that everybody gets, at least theoretically, a fair shot at the figures.

I actually don't mind when people tell the seller they've got a valuable item – especially when they also tell the seller not to end the auction early nor to sell it in a BIN.

But what unequivocally sucks is when you have a deal, the money has changed hands, and the seller backs out. That sucks!

Ultimately, I wouldn't get too tied up in trying to collect any of these stupid pieces of plastic. :no: The deeper you get into the mess of collecting the harder it becomes to see the forest from the trees. People start behaving in ways they normally wouldn't – and rationalizing because other people do it too. (Although it bums me out even more to think some people always act "that way." :) ) For me, I've found that I've had far more fun with aspects of collecting MUSCLE figures other than actually collecting the figures. I also think collecting the figures isn't worth acting in a way that I wouldn't normally act.

#7 lechance

lechance

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, Art, Punk, Metal, Horror Movies, My Cat, Madballs, imitations and Madball related merchandise.
    www.blarghhhspot.blogspot.com
    www.lastchanceillustration.com

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

I think this is 100% crappy. I really genuinely enjoy the stuff I collect. I also really enjoy helping other people out that collect the same stupid stuff. There's not that many of us. I think the way you set up that BIN is reasonable and the fact that the transaction was completed and then the member tried to undermine you is ridiculous. Especially because these were worth nothing to her beforehand. It's a bummer but I hope it hasn't ruined collecting for you.

#8 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

If the Whole auction is worth over $300 and you offered her $30, thats kinda lame too you know?

Something is only worth what people will pay for it, although in no way would you expect this lot to go for ten times what I paid. £30 is what the seller wanted for them, so that's what I paid her. Pretty straightforward. There were no bids on the auction and the entire time from auction start to end was 45 minutes. Everyone was happy until a third party came along and screwed me over so they could get the figures for themself.

That sucks. :) Although, to be fair, the part that sucks could vary from person to person.

You were the first person I thought of here Veers, actually, because I know somebody who shan't be named has done exactly the same to you as has been done to me here!

My conscience is clear, I did nothing wrong.

Ultimately, I wouldn't get too tied up in trying to collect any of these stupid pieces of plastic. :down: The deeper you get into the mess of collecting the harder it becomes to see the forest from the trees. People start behaving in ways they normally wouldn't – and rationalizing because other people do it too.

Sound advice. I try not to get wound up with these things, of course I am upset about losing the figures but I am more upset that someone would stab me in the back. I can honestly say I wouldn't ever do anything like this to someone else.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#9 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

Just so it's 100% clear, I wasn't specifically talking about Alex – merely collecting in general.

Although SD, all the scenarios and what-if's don't mean anything when it feels personal. Strangely I often assume odd collecting behavior isn't personal and sadly I've often found out it was very personal. For your sake I hope it wasn't. :)

#10 Merovingian

Merovingian

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

I guess my point was this, there is a pretty big difference between an interested party and an uninterested party.

Interested Party, if he was a bidder or HONESTLY planning on bidding, then he is an interested party and has/had every right to inquire with the seller on his own behalf.

Uninterested Party, if he is simply being a d-bag to be a d-bag and interjecting his opinion as an uninterested 3rd party... then he is just that an uninterested party and needs to keep his nose out of your business.

Although if the start time and the end time are less than an hour apart, it would be kinda hard to become an interested party in that particular situation.

In my own exp, its kinda funny, my BIN offers are usually 20$+ over what the auction ends up selling for...

I ask for BIN's on auctions Im interested in that don't have them because I don't schedule my life around when E-Bay auctions end, and Id rather pay more than have to schedule my friday night around the last 5 min of an E-Bay Auction.

I ALWAYS put a BIN price on my auctions, even if its an absurd price for exactly that reason, and unlike Veers get annoyed when there ISN'T a BIN price on something. :)
~ Merovingian ~
http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30320&view=findpost&p=264442

#11 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

I don't have a beef with anyone asking for a BIN if there are no bids on something yet. I get the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) SD that this is generally the case.

Sorry that this happened to you. I totally hear where you're coming from, losing out on an object might be annoying, but being deliberately sabotaged by someone you know is hurtful. It's especially galling considering that you've been quite a generous community member (I'm sure others will back me up on this account.)

Edited by Nyarlathotep, 02 June 2010 - 03:14 PM.

#12 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

Something is only worth what people will pay for it, although in no way would you expect this lot to go for ten times what I paid. £30 is what the seller wanted for them, so that's what I paid her. Pretty straightforward. There were no bids on the auction and the entire time from auction start to end was 45 minutes. Everyone was happy until a third party came along and screwed me over so they could get the figures for themself.

i totally agree, to a point. you had an agreement, money had exchanged hands and both parties were satisfied for a time. i'd like to hear 12345's side. if they had in fact hunted through your history in order to derail any sales, that's ass. but if they had seen that auction at the same time you did and were just watching it with intentions to bid later, that's different. since they auction was only up for 45 minutes they could have missed any chance to take action on it. also, if their message to the seller was something more like: "what happened to the listing..." before they even saw who won it, then it could just be a simple mistake. like you said, they've got an aggressive collecting style, and they may have sent off a message really quick without knowing who won.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#13 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

also, if their message to the seller was something more like: "what happened to the listing..." before they even saw who won it, then it could just be a simple mistake. like you said, they've got an aggressive collecting style, and they may have sent off a message really quick without knowing who won.

He told the seller that I had ripped them off, that I knew how much the toys would be worth. I honestly can't believe that he didn't realise who had won them, considering we're bidding against each other for stuff practically every day. I know the truncated version of his username off by heart.

Besides, even in the unlikely event he didn't know who won it, it's still a lame thing to do. Of course, that's his right to do it; I can't stop anyone contacting anyone else. But people ought to know about it.

Is this how it's going to be, though? Any time I snag a bargain, people are going to try to sneak it from under me? Collecting shouldn't be like this, it's too cutthroat.

#14 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

How is what he did any worse than what you did? ;) You both sent offers to buy it out although there was apparently no Best Offer option, he just happened to offer more than you did. You play by the sword you die by the sword.

From your post it doesn't sound like he knew you had already made a deal but just did the same thing you did offering more.

Even if he hadn't, there are always busy bodies that like to email sellers and let them know they have something worth a lot and not to let it go cheaply. It happens with all toy lines and other items as well. If he hadn't told he what it was worth, someone else might have

If you have any bee-eye-itch, it's with the person who cancelled the deal after you did the buy it now you induced. If I'm not mistaken you could probably sue her for breach of contract, but I doubt it would be worth it--At the very least you can report her to ebay, but really as long as she refunds your money, she'd likely just lose her final value fee or worse case get banned for a few days.
Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

#15 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:43 AM

How is what he did any worse than what you did? :D You both sent offers to buy it out although there was apparently no Best Offer option, he just happened to offer more than you did. You play by the sword you die by the sword.

From your post it doesn't sound like he knew you had already made a deal but just did the same thing you did offering more.

Say what? ;)

The deal was done and dusted, Gilgar. He's gone behind my back to financially induce someone to break a legal contract with me, and claimed that I am a rip-off merchant. I assure you, that is very different from what I did(!)

Anyway, this thread isn't a bee-eye-itch-fest, it's just to warn people. I don't want to see anyone else get stabbed in the back by someone they thought was a friend.

#16 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:11 AM

Not to throw salt on a wound. As I have dealt with Strontium many times and think he is a great guy. But what 12345 did is no different than what you done to me with the Bad Eggz that bananas are good sold me here:Bad Eggz Shenanigans
If you look at Bronchuseven post on the bottom it has a quote from Strontium that was edited. Which even that post was edited before bronchuseven posted. The original post stated something like" I hope you sold it for this much because it is worth this much". After the seller stated it was sold. The exact same scenario between Strontium and 12345. Only difference is the seller didnt back out on me. And I offered him $50 for one. Strontium offered $30 for two and a handful of mimp. Which reminds me of another post (Second to last): Second to last post
Something about being embarrassed to low ball someone :notme:

Not to cause any drama as I am not involved but c'mon cant get too upset about it. Collecting can be cutthtroat in any toyline. I have my fair share of gripes with members here involving an auction being bought out. I just choose not to complain about it on the forum. Because it is the name of the game. As gilgar put it "live by the sword die by the sword". If you want an auction bad enough, make an offer that the seller wont goff at when someone else makes a bigger offer. Or informs them what their items are worth. Just my two cents.

No hard feelings here Strontium.

#17 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

Ha. I had a feeling someone would bring these things up. The first one... well, I was more surprised and disappointed that the seller didn't take the sale to a board auction, and I was hoping he got a good price for it. But I appreciate your perspective. The second one is clearly a joke! If you can get something cheap, I say go for it.

How they differ from the situation outlined in this thread: I haven't done anything behind anyone's back, and I haven't induced anyone to break a contract. Those are underhand things.

#18 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:52 AM

How they differ from the situation outlined in this thread: I haven't done anything behind anyone's back, and I haven't induced anyone to break a contract. Those are underhand things.

This is what I was talking about regarding perspective. You, and maybe most collectors, don't view making a BIN offer as underhanded. It really isn't a black or white issue - instead many shades of gray.

I feel that offering a BIN on an auction is "underhanded" because it cheats all the other people that may have seen the auction and wanted to place a bid. Even a "fair offer" is up for debate because maybe someone else would have made a "fairer" offer.

I guess it all comes down to peoples' perspective. Some people view other drivers as the enemy and forget there are people inside the car - maybe a Mom running late. I try not to get upset at other drivers because I don't know what's happening in their life. I try not to do things on eBay that would upset me. And I also type things on this message board that I would say in real life. I think we, myself included, often replace our morals for ethics. I think the only hope is that you run across more people trying to be positive - because you sure as shizznit can't do anything about people. :notme:

#19 12345

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

Strontiumdog – Danny, I’d just like to respond to these rather unpleasant, and quite unreasonable public comments you have made against me.
I bear no grudges upon anyone here, but it seems that ever since I joined LRG, you have made a number of rather curt, quite sarcastic posts either directly or indirectly towards me, which I could never quite understand the reasoning for. And yes, we have shared emails re. Trades etc., in which I have been courteous and polite, but they have always ended abruptly with no response on your part, leaving me feeling somewhat confused…
However, none of this relates directly to the matter in hand, so I shall begin.

I happened to stumble across the completed Ebay listinghttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/monster-my-pocket-x-83-/260612255671?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item3cadb36fb7 purely by chance and not having recognised it being listed, looked at it closer. Of course, I then saw the 3 BEB figures (Eggasaurus, Squegg, Larvegg) included in it, and thought “WOW! Someone was REALLY lucky here!” with it ending at only £30! However, I then noted that it started as an auction listing, and saw the publicly visible question asking for the option of a Buy Now, to which the seller replies “It depends on how much you are offering”.
It was at this point before I even looked at the bid history that I emailed the seller, simply stating that someone really got a good deal, as had it been left to auction as intended, it probably would have realised around £200! I received a reply from the seller explaining how they regretted their mistake, not knowing anything about these figures, and how they were selling on behalf of their 10 year old son to add to his holiday funds. They wondered if they could then re-list them and run as an auction listing.
It was at this point that I noted that the buyer was Strontiumdog. It struck me that the offer of £30 you made was extremely out of character, especially when you publicly post on LRG stating such things as those I have pasted below, implying your keen interest of figures realising their fair current market prices both in auctions, and LRG marketplace sales.

Strontium Dog
View Member Profile Add as Friend Send Message Find Member's Topics Find Member's Posts Mar 14 2010, 10:27 PM Post #3

Bargain Hunter

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,364

As I noted previously, every man and his dog is scouring these MIMP lots for BEB now, it's not even funny. Mine was the third buy out offer he'd had within an hour of the auction going live. He didn't know why Germans were offering him £60 to end the auction prematurely. Of course, I told him, being the public-spirited fellow that I am.

--------------------

My ALL NEW NEW YEAR LRG Gormiti sale and trades thread: CLICK!

My LRG feedback: POSITIVE
My needs list: RIGHT HERE!
Get the latest version 0.2 of the Gormiti checklist: HERE

Strontium Dog
View Member Profile Add as Friend Send Message Find Member's Topics Find Member's Posts Mar 14 2010, 10:58 PM Post #5

Bargain Hunter

C'est la vie! This auction is going to end up north of £100 anyway, regardless of whether or not you flagged it up here

For instance, there's another MIMP auction on eBay right now with a Bad Egg in that (AFAIK) hasn't yet been "outed" anywhere, yet that's already over £40.

I think your only chance of getting lucky on these now is in some totally random generic lot, or if you happen upon some idiot seller who puts a low Buy It Now on their auction. I've seen this recently a few times with some rare Mini Boglins.

--------------------

Now had the seller have initially listed with the BIN price, I would not have had any issues, and it was purely one of those things, and an unlucky miss. But I became infuriated at the mitigating circumstances. It was the fact that strontiumdog had knowingly offered them this amount, having great knowledge of the current prices, coupled with his publicly announced insistence of fairness within the hobby, yet still went ahead, essentially deceiving the seller about the real value of these figures.
It was purely these factors that then regrettably blighted my opinions of you strontiumdog, not least in light of the recent Ebay auction sale of the first Eggasaurus to be listed on the open market, which reached £113 alone! (Discussed here on LRG also) And there were another 2 BEBs on top of this too!
Strontiumdog, you then go on to announce a new rather arrogant post in this thread, (In light of you paying the £30) in response to mine and csmhoff’s comments about how this was a very rare figure, and we weren’t surprised that bidding made it reach an excess of £100. in which you say :

Strontium Dog
View Member Profile Add as Friend Send Message Find Member's Topics Find Member's Posts Jun 1 2010, 02:33 PM Post #26

Bargain Hunter

I don't believe Eggasaurus is any rarer than any of the other sculpts, I think it's just dumb luck that more haven't turned up in auctions.

I confidently predict that more Eggasauruses will come to light in the very near future.

--------------------

The seller then asks my opinion of the figures’ value, and if I had an offer, so I made an offer around 6 times that of strontiumdog’s (basing it on current sales prices) as she wants to get her son as much as possible for his holidays. I felt this was the moral thing to do in light of all the factors listed above.

So, in summary, I believe that as a “community”, and in the interests of “fairness”, we should endeavour to allow Ebay auctions to run their natural course, and not press for unrealistic buy out offers. Strontiumdog, you should have practiced what you repeatedly preach to us here on LRG, or at the very least offered them a fair price, and not got ahead of yourself by posting presumptuous posts on the “predictions” of new additions to the market, and just play fair! You should have known that your actions would infuriate people. I can imagine your frustration, and I can sympathise. I still bear no grudges and would like to remain in contact with you. But can we all use this as a lesson of how greed can really backfire upon us  Karma always seems to win out in the end.
That's my rant over, for those who managed to last to the end of this message!! But I hope that we can now draw a line under this issue, and that we can all learn from it…

Incidentally, the seller has just contacted me after being rather upset by the somewhat unpleasant emails she received from Strontiumdog regarding the matter, and has informed me that her son will now keep the figures full stop, rather than sell them to anyone at all.
So there we go, an example of how flying off the handle without calmly thinking things through first can put a downer on everything :notme: As I say, Karma...
Banned

#20 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

Am I reading this correctly?

You felt justified in asking the seller to sell you the items, even though you knew she had already closed the deal with Strontium?

#21 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

You felt justified in asking the seller to sell you the items, even though you knew she had already closed the deal with Strontium?

I'll have to agree with Jkaris on this. That is just simply wrong. If a deal was already made (I don't care if it's with a LRG member or not), the deal is done. One shouldn't go behind the buyer's back and offer more. Who cares what the buyer paid them? It's ultimately up to the seller to do his/her homework.

#22 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

I must also add :notme: . The prices for these lately would probably not be as high if you guys were not war bidding for these. As I see it anything over $50 each for these is ludicrous. I will have to wait until you guys complete your collections or get tired of cornering the market until I can buy some :D

#23 Merovingian

Merovingian

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

I'll have to agree with Jkaris on this. That is just simply wrong. If a deal was already made (I don't care if it's with a LRG member or not), the deal is done. One shouldn't go behind the buyer's back and offer more. Who cares what the buyer paid them? It's ultimately up to the seller to do his/her homework.

Yep, after reading both sides now, thats just bullshizznit... keep your business to yourself, even in your reply you sound vindictive and out for revenge for some ill-perceived slight.

The deal was done, you had no interest in it when it was active, and you purposefully tried to screw another board member out of spite... and still feel justified for doing so.

lame.
~ Merovingian ~

#24 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

If I knew money had already changed hands, I would back off. But in the past when someone ends an auction early that I was bidding on, I'll do my best to try and get that thing back to auction or at least put my highest offer down to try and counter.
12345 says he contacted them before looking at who bought it. It was the seller who was the douche here who pulled the deal back after accepting money. Even if someone was offering you a lot more money, so what, money's changed hands. That should be the end of it. I feel the seller is the one who's not getting the most ire here.

#25 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

It was at this point before I even looked at the bid history that I emailed the seller, simply stating that someone really got a good deal, as had it been left to auction as intended, it probably would have realised around £200!

And what possible reason could you have for doing that? The trade was nothing to do with you.

I received a reply from the seller explaining how they regretted their mistake, not knowing anything about these figures, and how they were selling on behalf of their 10 year old son to add to his holiday funds. They wondered if they could then re-list them and run as an auction listing.

To which I'm sure you replied: "No, you've got a contract with the buyer now, there's no backing out". Oh wait...

It was at this point that I noted that the buyer was Strontiumdog. It struck me that the offer of £30 you made was extremely out of character, especially when you publicly post on LRG stating such things as those I have pasted below, implying your keen interest of figures realising their fair current market prices both in auctions, and LRG marketplace sales.

Sure, I plead guilty to hypocrisy, I won't lose any sleep over that. Shame you felt the need to punish me for it.

Now had the seller have initially listed with the BIN price, I would not have had any issues, and it was purely one of those things, and an unlucky miss. But I became infuriated at the mitigating circumstances. It was the fact that strontiumdog had knowingly offered them this amount, having great knowledge of the current prices, coupled with his publicly announced insistence of fairness within the hobby, yet still went ahead, essentially deceiving the seller about the real value of these figures.

"Deceiving" :notme:

I made an offer, the seller accepted, and that's that. It's not my fault if someone hasn't done their homework. It isn't your business to go around spreading "karmic justice" like some galactic arbiter.

It was purely these factors that then regrettably blighted my opinions of you strontiumdog, not least in light of the recent Ebay auction sale of the first Eggasaurus to be listed on the open market, which reached £113 alone! (Discussed here on LRG also) And there were another 2 BEBs on top of this too!

I will say I didn't initially spot the Eggasaurus. It was only the next day that I thought that's what it might be (it's a poor photo).

Strontiumdog, you then go on to announce a new rather arrogant post in this thread, (In light of you paying the £30) in response to mine and csmhoff’s comments about how this was a very rare figure, and we weren’t surprised that bidding made it reach an excess of £100. in which you say :

I don't believe Eggasaurus is any rarer than any of the other sculpts, I think it's just dumb luck that more haven't turned up in auctions.

I confidently predict that more Eggasauruses will come to light in the very near future.

The seller then asks my opinion of the figures’ value, and if I had an offer, so I made an offer around 6 times that of strontiumdog’s (basing it on current sales prices) as she wants to get her son as much as possible for his holidays. I felt this was the moral thing to do in light of all the factors listed above.

You felt the "moral thing to do" was to financially induce someone to break a legal contract?!

Some morality, that.

But can we all use this as a lesson of how greed can really backfire upon us. Karma always seems to win out in the end.

Whose greed, though, Gavin? There are two hard Eggasauruses known to exist, and you couldn't bear to see me get one for less than a third of what you had paid for the other one.

You had no business doing any of this. It was spiteful and your intentions were clearly to deprive someone of a bargain and get the figures for yourself. Because, clearly, you don't have enough Bad Eggz Bunch figures already.

Whether it was me or someone else you did it to, it was not the right thing to do.

Incidentally, the seller has just contacted me after being rather upset by the somewhat unpleasant emails she received from Strontiumdog regarding the matter, and has informed me that her son will now keep the figures full stop, rather than sell them to anyone at all.

A clarification on this: I have messaged the seller a few times, and if she found any of the messages "unpleasant", then that is because it is an uncomfortable situation for her, knowing that she has broken the law and broken eBay's trading rules, and not because I have written anything abusive. I have every single message sent and received still saved if anyone wants to see them.

I feel the seller is the one who's not getting the most ire here.

If Gavin hadn't poked his nose in, the seller would be blissfully unaware of the "true value" of these figures, happy and £30 richer.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com