• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 05:34 AM

Usually, I avoid the Romando figures. They're frequently too expensive and just not cool enough for me to jusify forking over the dough for them. But every once in a while, one "speaks" to me, like this Kendaman. Check out these pics:

Kendaman holding his head
Kendaman with his head on his shoulders and his MUSCLE counterpart
Kendaman with a new head!

On with the review!

Looks: 5 out of 5
Romandos sometimes "drop the ball" in the Looks department, with expressions that are too serious and/or muscles that are too balloony and cheesy looking. But with this figure, they really caught the look of Kendaman perfectly! His sculpt is very much like the classic MUSCLEs (check out the MUSCLE abs). And his paint job looks fantastic with beautiful reflective paint that lends itself to plenty of awesome color variations. The choice of colors is a bit awkward (dark blue with yellow?) but the quality of the paint aps more than makes up for it.

Articulation: 2.5 out of 5
Kendaman has 6 points of articulation: shoulders (semi-ball-in-socket), forearms (swivel), and hips (semi-ball-in-socket). The articulation is enough for some good displays, but Romandos are famous for great articulation and I expect much more. Waist and knee joints should have been minimum requirements for this guy.

Accessories: N/A
This figure doesn't come with accessories, but I don't think that's much of an issue. He doesn't seem to need any accessories... except a dino-buddy, of course.

Value: 2 out of 5
One of my most frequent complaints about Romandos is their prices. I bought this Kendaman for $37. Although you'll likely not find him for a better price and the price is reflective of the import cost, that's still a crapload of money to pay for a toy of this size. Also, Kendaman seems rotocast, which makes him feel hollow and light-weight (like Sunshine).

Coolness: 4 out of 5
This is definitely a Romando that looks incredible on display! I love matching his pose to those of the classic Kendaman MUSCLEs. The ability to put his head on his shoulders is nifty, although getting it to stay on is somewhat problematic.

Overall: 3.4 out of 5
This is a great-looking Kendaman that really adds some flash to your display. But the lightweight plastic and sub-par articulation limits his use as a toy.

EDIT: 10/27/2003
Staying Power: 0 out of 5
Although it looks cool, I quickly found Kendaman to be quite boring. The lack of articulation and flimsy plastic made this guy a candidate for the AKIA pawn shop.

Adjusted Overall: 2.7 out of 5
I wouldn't recommend this Romando unless you have a sizable Romando collection. It would probably be a cool display piece, but it ultimately fails as a toy.

-Nathan

Edited by Tortle, 27 October 2003 - 07:57 AM.

#2 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 07:18 AM

Great review, Nathan. I also dig Kendaman's "new" head! Kendaman is one of my favorite Romando figures. I pretty much agree with your major complaints with this figure. I don't like the lack of articulation with this figure and the lightweight feel. I love Romandos because they are usually very heavy figures with excellent articulation. Also, the pricing is always a problem. I will always love my Romandos, but they definately deserve low scores in the "value" department.

However, I absolutely love this figure's mold, size, paint scheme and the overall look of this figure. His has a sweet look and big cool factor that totally overwhelms any shortcomings he might have. He is definately a very cool addition to a toy collection. He also holds the distinction of being my wife's favorite figure out of the other Romandos in my collection.

#3 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 09:38 AM

Yeah- that's about right. The only Romandohs that can justify their cost are ones like Akumashogun (who weighs nearly 2 lbs), Sunshine, or The Mountain (maybe Budo).

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 09:52 AM

The only Romandohs that can justify their cost are ones like .... (maybe Budo).

Budo is the PIMP! He is so freaking massive! If he were solid he would weigh 5 lbs.
I agree. Romandos cost too much. I hope that UM takes off enough over here to warrant something similar coming to the states.
That'd knock $10-$15 off per figure.

#5 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 02:32 PM

Good point- Budo's bigger than Sunshine.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 08:21 AM

It stinks that the Japanese toy stores around me don't carry these. I'd like to get the Iwoa/ Skullduggery (can't remember his Japanese name) set, personally... Don't know quite just why.
Posted Image

#7 Kendaman

Kendaman

Kendaman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 03:51 PM

My order from JKaris just came. Iwao and Kinkotsuman are freakin' Awesome! And the Mountain is HUGE!! I wondered why he was 65$. Also I'd like to thank Tortle for reveiwing my Favorite character (besides Ashuraman and Screw Kid).

Edited by Kendaman, 01 October 2003 - 03:52 PM.

KEN-DA-MAN!! KEN-DA-MAN!! KEN-DA-MAN!!

#8 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 11:08 AM

Awwww... that just makes me want them more! And I have no money...

Siggghhhh...

MAybe next time he gets some in, I'll actually have a better job...
Posted Image

#9 phillymadison

phillymadison

phillymadison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 10:15 PM

Got My Kendaman from the Akia store today

Like Nate I'm not the biggest fan Of the Romando's but a few I really like none the less

Kendaman is one of them

Unlike Nate mine's staying MOC
no real reason why Im not gonna play with it if I open it so I might as well leave it sealed

over all this figure screams Kinniku/MUSCLE

also picked up a Junkman and Akuma-shogun

Junkman would probably look alot better opened then MOC
he comes with a cube that looks like a crushed up robin mask
I also like that he's purple
seeing when I was growing up my Junkman was the purple one

Akuma-Shogun is diesel heavey
doesnt scream MUSCLE/kinnku to me
but still an awsome figure^_^

lol for someone that doesnt really like Romando's I find myself owning 8 of them now and wanting another 2 or 3 lol

Edited by phillymadison, 05 October 2003 - 02:21 PM.

The Only True Measure Of Success Of Any Hobby Is How Much You Enjoy Participating in it.
--------------------------------

View What M.U.S.C.L.E.'s I Have For Trade And Sale On muscledb.com CLICK HERE

#10 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 05 October 2003 - 10:38 AM

lol for someone that doesnt really like Romando's I find myself owning 8 of them now and wanting another 2 or 3 lol

That is how it all starts. Romando just keeps makeing more mold's and sweet figures.

I can't wait tell they relese the Manriki figure. :woot:
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#11 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 11:25 AM

yep, budo is the pimp! lol. he is too big for my shelf!(I have him on top) romando are awesome, the big ones have little articulation, but make the best displays, and the smaller ones are flexible and playable.
btw, the fact theres always a new one being made is awesome.
btw2, naochins site has more pics of the clear akumashogun!

Edited by Knuxman, 05 October 2003 - 11:28 AM.

"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com